Golf swing recording with 4 slow motion cameras

Hello,

I’m in the preliminary stages of designing a golf simulator and am currently researching the video equipment portion (this setup is about recording the golfer’s swing). I’m sharing my desired video setup / user experience in hopes that someone here could steer me in the right direction when it comes to software / hardware.

See the bottom for my selection after all my research.

- Notes - 

I have identified that the Panasonic Lumix GH6 is the camera I'd like to use (it can do 4k 120 fps, 1080p 240fps and has HDMI 2.1 output).

I found Black Magic Design and Atomos and thought maybe the combination of a handful of items from either of them could meet my desired use case. I got a response from someone at Atomos and their solution would be too expensive and too complex (no one at black magic responded but I’m assuming it would be just as expensive and complex).

A 4k 120Hz monitor and a computer with the needed compute power (CPU and GPU) can be assumed to be available (I am also after thoughts and opinions on the needed specs of the computer needed for this project).

- User experience -

A golfer is on an indoor golf mat preparing to hit a golf ball into a net. There are four cameras mounted in different positions around the golfer. Prior to setting up to hit the ball they take the end of their golf club and gently tap a button on a button pad on the floor in front of them. The button tapped simultaneously starts the recording of four 4K 120fps / 1080p 240fps cameras. The golfer then sets up and hits the ball. After the golf shot the golfer then gently taps another button with the end of their golf club. The button tapped simultaneously stops the recording of all four cameras. Let’s say the golfer hit a bad shot and as a result doesn’t want to keep the recordings. The golfer would then gently tap a button to delete the four recordings. If the golfer does want to keep the recordings they would tap a button to save the recordings.

The buttons could be labeled - start, stop, save, delete

The goals of this setup are:

- allow a single person to operate the video capture equipment and also be the subject of the video by hitting a golf ball

- minimize the number of steps needing to start, stop, save or delete a swing recording (which is four 4K 120fps video files)

- have very minimal editing needing to produce four 4K 120fps / 1080p 240fps videos files that are synced, meaning if I go to 0.25 seconds in each video I am looking at the same thing but from a different view point

- be able to quickly view the 4k 120fps / 1080p 240fps footage after it was captured

I went with the idea of having a button pad down on the ground that can be used by the golfer via the end of the club because having a raised desk near the golfer that has a mouse or keyboard would block the video shots. Being able to stay on the golf mat to hit golf balls and also control the video capture aspect is important. Walking 10 or so feet back to a desk that is out of view of all 4 cameras and then walking back to the mat to then hit the shot would be too slow of a process. The goal is to be able to hit shot after shot and have a recording of each shot - all done relatively quickly. Having a remote in the golfers pocket is also an option.

Also, if a golf shot is hit and the golfer opts to save the recordings, being able to quickly view all four videos up on a large monitor is important.

The overarching goal is to have a setup that allows the golfer to have a quick iterative experience where they can get feedback on each shot.

My findings and setup from what I’ve learned

4k 120fps capture is not going to happen because there isn’t a consumer or prosumer capture card that uses HDMI 2.1

As a result, I think going with 1080p at 240fps is my best bet (my initial plan was 4k 120fps)

Selecting the Panasonic Lumix GH6 as it has the needed resolution and framerate for now (1080p 240fps) and later (4k 120fps) when a capture card comes out that can capture 4k 120fps.

Use the Mountain Macropad to at least start and stop recording https://mountain.gg/keypads/macropad/

Use OBS to record the 4 camera feeds

Use 4 Avermedia Live Gamer 4k capture cards to record all 4 cameras at 1080p 240fps https://www.avermedia.com/product-detail/GC573

Use a motherboard with 4 PCI-Express Gen 3 x4 so I can use 4 Avermedia Live Gamer 4k capture cards (there also needs to be a slot for a GPU)

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I am open to any and all ideas 🙂

Cheers,

Jon-Eric Cook

Hello,

I am curious if anyone has experience with the GH6 and can confirm that 1080p 240fps can be output over HDMI to a capture card.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

Cheers,

Jon-Eric Cook

Does anyone know of a camera that can output 1080p 240fps over its HDMI output?

What sort of quality do you actually need? The latest GoPros will record 1080p at 240 fps, but it won't look great. Also not sure if it can actually output it over HDMI (with the right attachments) at that rate.

21 hours ago, jaslion said:

What is your budget? This is like many thousands of $$$ territory.

Im open to spend a solid chunk of money - $6k or more

20 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

What sort of quality do you actually need? The latest GoPros will record 1080p at 240 fps, but it won't look great. Also not sure if it can actually output it over HDMI (with the right attachments) at that rate.

I would like to get as high quality as possible. I think im going to make a new post asking about cameras that have FTP capabilities. I was thinking instead of going the capture card route with depends on the HDMI output of a camera I could record internally and then send the video file to my computer over wired LAN or wifi.

==threads merged==

please keep this idea to the same thread

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

18 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

==threads merged==

please keep this idea to the same thread

noted - i figured my original post was too big so i opted to break it up into smaller posts.

• 2 months later...

I have been working on a golf swing video capture system for about 5 years off and on now. My system mainly uses Kinovea as the vide capture and playback mechanisms. There are several users in the Kinovea forums that are doing what you are looking at doing. Basically, you get a couple of machine vision cameras and Kinovea can do the bulk of the work for you.

I have an electrical engineering degree so my system is quite complicated to setup with the intent that the user does very little interacting with the computer. I believe it should be as simple as pressing a button, hitting the shot and having the video play automatically.