Noise with Sundara. Is this a problem with the standard cable?

TinyBolts

I bought Sundaras about a month ago and had no issues until recently when I noticed there was a noise, which got louder as the volume was increased. Can't get the volume nearly as high now without very very noticeable noise. This happens when ran through any devices I have. The recordings are fine. What's really weird is that there's not only noise when I increase the volume of a song, but if I play a song with the volume completely off, there's another noise that gets louder when I turn up the amp. None of this was happening before. Is this more likely a cable issue, or should i try returning/replacing?

What's your source? Are you using a dedicated dac/amp or are you just plugged directly into a headphone jack on your PC?

Power cables can create interference with signal cables, so try to make sure they aren't running parallel to each other and if they have to cross, make sure they do so perpendicularly

14 minutes ago, dinkostinko said:

What's your source? Are you using a dedicated dac/amp or are you just plugged directly into a headphone jack on your PC?

Power cables can create interference with signal cables, so try to make sure they aren't running parallel to each other and if they have to cross, make sure they do so perpendicularly

I tried using straight with pc, phone and through a scarlett 6i6. I never had a problem with any of these devices up until now so I think either something happened to the cable or headphones.

21 minutes ago, TinyBolts said:

I tried using straight with pc, phone and through a scarlett 6i6. I never had a problem with any of these devices up until now so I think either something happened to the cable or headphones.

Makes sense! If you're still within the return window I'd swap them out so you get a new pair and cable, If not I'd just start with trying a new cable!

I'd indeed try a different cable if you're no longer in the return window. It sucks you get such issues. If a different cable still won't work, then the headphone itself is broken and they should issue you a new unit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

If a new cable is required I highly recommend Periapt Cables and Hart Audio Cables

I spent a lot of time and money stressing over a good "value" cable that wouldn't break the bank and got a lot of crap products.  Now I only use OEM or one of the two brands mentioned.  It's kind of my PSA when ever someone mentions cables.  Periapt has heft to it with a solid build while hart is a quality light weight modular design incase you have or plan to get multiple headphones.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

8 hours ago, Psittac said:

If a new cable is required I highly recommend Periapt Cables and Hart Audio Cables

I spent a lot of time and money stressing over a good "value" cable that wouldn't break the bank and got a lot of crap products.  Now I only use OEM or one of the two brands mentioned.  It's kind of my PSA when ever someone mentions cables.  Periapt has heft to it with a solid build while hart is a quality light weight modular design incase you have or plan to get multiple headphones.

It kind of sucks cables can make the sound different. I remember when I still had my Amiron Home cable, I didn't want to use it because it's 3m long. So I used Meze cables that are 1.2m long. One day, I tried to use the cable that was included with my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 and the sound actually was different. No blind testing nor did I research anything regarding cables, it was way back, like about 2 years before I got really serious into audio. It's the OCC 7N copper.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

yeah idk i tried the JPS lab superconductor cables which are like 2000 dollars on my diana phi at canjam and didnt really notice a difference

4 hours ago, CTR640 said:

It kind of sucks cables can make the sound different. I remember when I still had my Amiron Home cable, I didn't want to use it because it's 3m long. So I used Meze cables that are 1.2m long. One day, I tried to use the cable that was included with my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 and the sound actually was different. No blind testing nor did I research anything regarding cables, it was way back, like about 2 years before I got really serious into audio. It's the OCC 7N copper.

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yeah idk i tried the JPS lab superconductor cables which are like 2000 dollars on my diana phi at canjam and didnt really notice a difference

I think it's a threshold, a crappy cable can make them sound worse but a better cable can't make them sound better.

Most of what I experienced was livability and sound isolation.  I did run across decreased sound quality but nothing has given me increased sound quality.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

55 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Snake oil and very huge deminishing returns. Those JPS Lab cables are above $2000. Yeah sure... The maximum maximum to spend on cables should at max of about $349. I'm targetting the Meze cables, these ones:

https://mezeaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/copper-premium

Oddly enough I though this cable starts at 349 but I can't remember if they've increased it or it was always like that:

https://mezeaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/silver-plated-premium-cables?variant=42922232578304

The cables are likely meant to make some subtle changes to frequencies like the lows and highs. I've got the copper to make the highs bearable.

The silver ones are for those who wants more treble. Cables are not meant to magically make Focal Clear sound like Focal Utopia (2022).

DAC/AMPs: