Old NVMe SSD stopped getting detected as bootdrive

Sulliv
Go to solution Solved by JogerJ,

Compatibility Support Module (CSM) lets you boot legacy OS. Go turn that back on.

You might've installed Windows 10 with an MBR partition (the old way). You should be installing your Windows using EFI (requires reformat/reinstall with CSM disabled), although using MBR is also fine for now but you won't be getting EFI features such as fast boot, secure boot, etc.

You might be able to fix it this way but I recommend complete reformat/reinstall, especially if you don't have much data stored in the drive anyways.

https://pureinfotech.com/convert-mbr-drive-gpt-enable-uefi-secure-boot-windows-11/

Hello everyone,

I've been using this SSD for well over a year without issues, yesterday I installed a new GPU (6800 XT) which seems to have temperature problems. After tuning the volting and fan curves I turned off the PC for a while. When turning it back on, the NVMe SSD was no longer detected as a bootdrive.

When this happened I wanted to get into the BIOS to enable Smart Access Memory (Enabled "Above 4G Decoding" and setting "Re-Size BAR Support" to Auto). I don't know if that can screw up the SSD, but sadly I didn't check if it was detected before that.

Some sites reccomend tweaking "CSM Support" after enabling SAM, I didn't do that because I didn't trust the sites where I found that though.

The NVMe drive IS detected on the motherboard under the peripherals tab, ran a "device self test" and it passes.

Other useful info:

• I don't have any other drives connected to this PC, no sata nor other NVMe

• The motherboard only has 1 NVMe slot

• The NVMe sits right above the GPU which was overheating (110 Celcius range)

• I tested switching to my old GPU, NVMe still not detected as bootdrive

My specs are:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING ZOOMFLOW X 62 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • SSD: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • GPU: Gigabyte GV-R68XT-16GC-B Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card
  • Case: Xigmatek Master X ATX Mid Tower Case
  • PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($107.98 @ Other World Computing)
  • Case Fans: ID-COOLING TF-12025-ARGB 68.2 CFM 120 mm Fan x6 (2 on AIO)

Let me know if there's any other useful info I can add, and thanks in advance for any help!

Compatibility Support Module (CSM) lets you boot legacy OS. Go turn that back on.

You might've installed Windows 10 with an MBR partition (the old way). You should be installing your Windows using EFI (requires reformat/reinstall with CSM disabled), although using MBR is also fine for now but you won't be getting EFI features such as fast boot, secure boot, etc.

You might be able to fix it this way but I recommend complete reformat/reinstall, especially if you don't have much data stored in the drive anyways.

https://pureinfotech.com/convert-mbr-drive-gpt-enable-uefi-secure-boot-windows-11/

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

4 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

Enabling CSM Support did it, I'm a dummy 😄 thank you!