a single USB C charging port hub solution ?

FCHPRO
Go to solution Solved by m9x3mos,
1 hour ago, FCHPRO said:

thanks for this reply.

The SSD i have is fast and i would like to get full performance by using a USB C port 

quick question : If i find a way to buy a 2-1 USB C splitter would it work for charging and data transfer ? (i see a lot of these USB C splitters have "Audio" and headphones icons on one of usbc ports so i'm wondering is it only for charging and audio or could it handle charging and heavy data transfer ?

You would want something more like the below linked product. A standard hub won't support power delivery which you will need for charging the laptop. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Ethernet-Delivery-MacBook/dp/B08C9HZ5YT/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=1EDDIXVHEUIK4&keywords=usb+c+hub+power+delivery&qid=1667750407&sprefix=usb+c+hub+powe%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-9

I just bought a lenovo thinkpad E15 gen3 
It's a really good laptop , but has a major flaw : Only 1 USB C for both charging and data with no dedicated charging port , meaning if you're charging your device there's no other USB C port available 
I have a SSD external drive that I would like to use while charging.
I've looked into hubs that has multiple USB C but they are very expensive and BULKY (with a lot of ports that i don't need)
Basically I need a USB C hub with just 2 USB C out ports (can't find any anywhere)
So i thought of this solution : Buy a USB C hub with just 4 USB A ports (simple small and very cheap) and then add 2 USB A to USB C adapters !
I don't know if this would work and if it won't fry my pc so I'm afraid to test for myself
Any one has enough expertise to be sure if this is safe or not and if it will work at all ? 

314455732_656471576119361_430527420710437601_n.png

I just searched for "USB C splitter" on Amazon and there are like dozens of results

i live in Tunisia (3rd world country ) , can't find any here

11 minutes ago, FCHPRO said:

i live in Tunisia (3rd world country ) , can't find any here

That's unfortunate, cause the solution you came up with won't work either. USB A is only rate for 5V unlike USB C.

Have you also checked eBay and other sites? You might be able to order one from China or some other country and import taxes shouldn't be a concern for a small $5 adapter. 

But if you find one make sure it's of good quality. You don't want that thing to cause any issues with charging. 

Also you do have two USB A ports on your laptop. Why not just add a hub to those and use them for data transfer? Then your USB C port is always available for charging. 

Most USB C hubs will have a usb c port that allows you charge while it's plugged in. If you need a lot of USB A ports you can use a USB A hub.

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

That's unfortunate, cause the solution you came up with won't work either. USB A is only rate for 5V unlike USB C.

Have you also checked eBay and other sites? You might be able to order one from China or some other country and import taxes shouldn't be a concern for a small $5 adapter. 

But if you find one make sure it's of good quality. You don't want that thing to cause any issues with charging. 

Also you do have two USB A ports on your laptop. Why not just add a hub to those and use them for data transfer? Then your USB C port is always available for charging. 

thanks for this reply.

The SSD i have is fast and i would like to get full performance by using a USB C port 

quick question : If i find a way to buy a 2-1 USB C splitter would it work for charging and data transfer ? (i see a lot of these USB C splitters have "Audio" and headphones icons on one of usbc ports so i'm wondering is it only for charging and audio or could it handle charging and heavy data transfer ?

1 hour ago, FCHPRO said:

thanks for this reply.

You would want something more like the below linked product. A standard hub won't support power delivery which you will need for charging the laptop. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Ethernet-Delivery-MacBook/dp/B08C9HZ5YT/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=1EDDIXVHEUIK4&keywords=usb+c+hub+power+delivery&qid=1667750407&sprefix=usb+c+hub+powe%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-9

3 hours ago, FCHPRO said:

Really depends on how they are internally wired. That is something you'd have to research with each individual adapter.