The Real Bottleneck is not hardware

Mister Woof

We spend a lot of time obsessing about hardware, which team is faster, more efficient, etc....but I've found over the past couple of years that the real bottlenecks for me are:

1. Time. I never have enough time. Got work, family, obligations. Therefore I have to be more selective of what I use it on.

2. Games. There are just few games in recent memory that really wow me.....and outside of one or two, most are indie types that could run on a potato. Perhaps because of #1, I've become more critical. I'm not sure really. 

But mostly this. I don't have much time and there's too few games worthy of it.

😞

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Completely agree. There are a lot of good and great games that will run on a given hardware, no matter what hardware it is. Even if it is 10 years old, the library that can be played on it will be more than one can manage.

The pursuit to be on top of every new game release, to be part of the hot conversations, the FOMO which makes people to refresh their tech.

28 minutes ago, ItsJohnny said:

Completely agree. There are a lot of good and great games that will run on a given hardware, no matter what hardware it is. Even if it is 10 years old, the library that can be played on it will be more than one can manage.

The pursuit to be on top of every new game release, to be part of the hot conversations, the FOMO which makes people to refresh their tech.

I don't even play the games though. 

You just look at new launches like Gotham Knights and then you just go ehhhhh

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I've also given up mostly on game titles because there are few things that wow me. I like big strategy games, and I might invest in Frostpunk 2, but that's it.

I spend any free time just watching streamers. Forged Alliance Forever streams from Gyle get out right ridiculous with 16 players building thousands of units and eventual game enders like rapid nuke launchers. One of the last RTS games, and worth watching a few matches.

13 hours ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

We spend a lot of time obsessing about hardware, which team is faster, more efficient, etc....but I've found over the past couple of years that the real bottlenecks for me are:

1. Time. I never have enough time. Got work, family, obligations. Therefore I have to be more selective of what I use it on.

2. Games. There are just few games in recent memory that really wow me.....and outside of one or two, most are indie types that could run on a potato. Perhaps because of #1, I've become more critical. I'm not sure really. 

But mostly this. I don't have much time and there's too few games worthy of it.

😞

Tbh the last game to really captivate me was Jedi Fallen order… in 2019. Before that is was BoTW in 2017. I’m just not interested in battle-passes and am refusing to play anything with one in it now. 

11 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Tbh the last game to really captivate me was Jedi Fallen order… in 2019. Before that is was BoTW in 2017. I’m just not interested in battle-passes and am refusing to play anything with one in it now. 

Cp2077 and Detroit become human were the last big ones 

Don't forget about the third bottleneck: money.

16 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

The bottle neck was in you all along!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Yeah, cause everything is a grind that's supposed to keep you "engaged" but is tedious, and most products are a copy and paste from their previous generation, with minimal added and charged at a premium.

World lacks imagination and creativity at the moment, and I think it's in part due to an increase narcissistic ideologies, and corporate culture shift.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

I don't know why people here keep complaining about bottlenecks, I like how they make my guitar sound.

Anyway, if your problem is lack of interesting new releases, there are plenty of older games worthy of your time that you probably haven't played. I played and finished 25 games this year so far, none of whom have been released this year. The oldest one I've played was from 1995. Was every game I played great? No, but there were some great experiences among them regardless that I wouldn't have had if I were just chasing the latest trends.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Well since the cost of new games has gotten entirely out of hand, I don't play new releases anymore.  And in the interim, the backlog of games I have yet to play (though I bought for sale on Steam) has grown exponentially.  I have over 200 games on there including some like Fallout 4, XCOM, XCOM2, various Borderlands games, and others that I've never played....yet.

The most graphically demanding thing I've played yet has been Overload--which is one of the most criminally underrated games of the past 5 years (seriously, it is the best 6DOF shooter out there).