Best CPU for a RTX 3080

Scabu99
Go to solution Solved by ZetZet,

5600 is good enough, 5800x3d is better for 1440p. Techpowerup did their gaming benchmarks with a 3080 and there is a noticeable difference between them in 1440p. Now if it's worth the extra money that depends on you. 

relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png

-Are the >700€ of a next gen upgrade (like the 13600kf) a worthy investment?

No. 5800x3d is faster.

5800x3d also shouldn't be motherboard limited, the power consumption is very low. 

Budget (including currency): No real budget, I just wanna spend the right amount of money

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p High fidelity single player games 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Hi everyone, I was just gifted a 3080 (yeah I know, I was speechless too) but my current system is kinda old. 

CPU: R5 1600

MB: MSI B350M Mortar

PSU: EVGA 750QG+ 

CPU COOLER: MasterAir MA 624 Stealth

RAM: 3200Mhz CL16

Obviously my CPU is too slow for a 3080, my questions are:

-Is the 5800x3d a bit too much for my motherboard?

-Is the R5 5600 (non x) a good enough CPU?

My focus is a long lasting 1440p gaming-only PC. One viable option would be getting the 5600 now with my old MB and then upgrade it when a more affordable platform upgrade comes around, what do you think? 

Thanks in advance to everyone who will help. 

5600 is good enough, 5800x3d is better for 1440p. Techpowerup did their gaming benchmarks with a 3080 and there is a noticeable difference between them in 1440p. Now if it's worth the extra money that depends on you. 

relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png

No. 5800x3d is faster.

5800x3d also shouldn't be motherboard limited, the power consumption is very low. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2 minutes ago, Scabu99 said:

Is the 5800x3d a bit too much for my motherboard?

It should be OK, especially if you make sure the board VRM has some airflow. 

3 minutes ago, Scabu99 said:

Is the R5 5600 (non x) a good enough CPU?

Yes, that would be my pick.

4 minutes ago, Scabu99 said:

Are the >700€ of a next gen upgrade (like the 13600kf) a worthy investment?

If you're just gaming at 1440P, I wouldn't say a 13600KF and board is worth it over just a 5600 in socket upgrade. A 13600K is definitely faster, but at the same time the 5600 is so cheap now and such a massive upgrade over the 1600 you're currently running that you might as well just go for that. 

Just drop in a 5600 or 5800x3d as the others have suggested and leave your system as is since you dont really need any extra upgrades spec wise, although what case? A trash hotbox case with no airflow like the h510 will make that 3080 cook itself. Cheap fix is taking off the sidepanel

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just drop in a 5600 or 5800x3d as the others have suggested and leave your system as is since you dont really need any extra upgrades spec wise, although what case? A trash hotbox case with no airflow like the h510 will make that 3080 cook itself. Cheap fix is taking off the sidepanel

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 with 3 front 120mm intake fans and 1 out in the back (it is closed above). If needed I could certainly do a case upgrade 

1 hour ago, Scabu99 said:

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 with 3 front 120mm intake fans and 1 out in the back (it is closed above). If needed I could certainly do a case upgrade 

If you have a mesh front or willing to run w/o sidepanel the case is fine and no upgrade is needed

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If you have a mesh front or willing to run w/o sidepanel the case is fine and no upgrade is needed

Yep, its a mesh front panel. Thanks for the warning nonetheless