will running a live wallpaper with my integrated gpu effect my dedicated gpu while gaming

bezza...

hi

th reason that i think this is because while just looking at the live wallpapers my 2080 has about 15 to 40 persent usage and my igu has about 9 persent. i am using a second monitor and that is plugged into my igpu. i was wondering if my gpu was rendering the wallpaper and pushing it through the igpu.

thank you in advance

Yes. But not because of it being demanding but because of Windows Desktop Management... you will be absolutely required to play in a true Full Screen mode or you may encounter some weird stuttering issues. (unless the animated wallpaper stops being animated when in background)

The GPU usage depends from clock speed as well. A 15% to 40% GPU usage at 800MHz is way different than the same % usage at max clock speed. I'm assuming you're using the Wallpaper Engine in which case I strongly recommend to disable the MSAA or leave it at minimum since that's just eating performance for no good reason. If you need MSSA on a wallpaper then just get a wallpaper that's in better quality to begin with.

Depends on the program.

Wallpaper engine can be set to pause the background when entering a game in full screen.

If you have multiple screen it will of course not do that.

There will be a bit of a loss of performance when active

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Depends on the program.

Wallpaper engine can be set to pause the background when entering a game in full screen.

If you have multiple screen it will of course not do that.

There will be a bit of a loss of performance when active

but i have the second monnitor plugged into my igpu so would it not put the load on that? i am using wallpaper engin

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Yes. But not because of it being demanding but because of Windows Desktop Management... you will be absolutely required to play in a true Full Screen mode or you may encounter some weird stuttering issues. (unless the animated wallpaper stops being animated when in background)

The GPU usage depends from clock speed as well. A 15% to 40% GPU usage at 800MHz is way different than the same % usage at max clock speed. I'm assuming you're using the Wallpaper Engine in which case I strongly recommend to disable the MSAA or leave it at minimum since that's just eating performance for no good reason. If you need MSSA on a wallpaper then just get a wallpaper that's in better quality to begin with.

i was just wonrdering if it was working on my igppu cus my second monitor is plugged into it

39 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

i was just wonrdering if it was working on my igppu cus my second monitor is plugged into it

Most likely not. It's most likely still rendered/done on your main GPU from which it's passed trough to an iGPU to output it on a monitor. If anything, that is even more complicated and performance heavy than just having the 2nd monitor plugged straight to your main GPU.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Most likely not. It's most likely still rendered/done on your main GPU from which it's passed trough to an iGPU to output it on a monitor. If anything, that is even more complicated and performance heavy than just having the 2nd monitor plugged straight to your main GPU.

ok il plug it into my gpu. i just thought that i could use it to ofload som work from my gpu to my igpu

22 hours ago, WereCat said:

would there be any way that i could ofload the work onto my igpu?

12 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

would there be any way that i could ofload the work onto my igpu?

not for what you want to do with it 

24 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

ok cheers

You can for example offload video encode on the iGPU but that's about one of the few useful things you can do.