Corsair rm 750w to Corsair HW 1000w switchover

Tim85

Good afternoon I am looking into upgrading my PSU from my current Corsair rm 750 to a Corsair HM 1000w 

Can I keep the original cables from the 750w ? or is it a full strip down and use brand new cables ?

Any help would be great 

That depends on which version of the RM and HX you have. The older RM (yellow label) and the old HXi (blue label) use Type 3 cables. The newer RM, HXi, and HX 80+ Platinum units use Type 4 cables. Type 3 and Type 4 cables are interchangeable except for the motherboard 24pin cable. It'll be obvious which is which as the Type 4 motherboard cables split in to 18 pin + 10 pin connectors on the PSU side while the Type 3 motherboard cable is 14 pin + 10 pin.

You can check power supply cable compatibility on Corsair's website. https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Edited by Spotty
corrected info

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

What exactly do you mean, RM1000 or HX1000? They're different units, and I'd recommend the HX1000i (new one), but it lacks the PCI-E 5.0 cabling.

The new Toughpower GF3, or the MSI AI 1000 would both be better fit.

Also, if you don't require a new PSU, do not go ahead and blow away $200 on one. Unnecessary upgrade, the Jap formula caps and the built of the RM750 is still easily fine.

Technically some cables are but instead of figuring that out just remove all and use the new ones so you are 1000% sure