What would be a good, user-friendly, performant, and good looking case?

Atvaster
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
24 minutes ago, Atvaster said:

Is it important to add/replace stock fans for performance?

I am not sure exactly how the front fans did. The person I helped build in that case wanted all matching fans so we swapped out the stock fans. Gamers Nexus' Case Torture Tests are all done with the fans that come with any case and no others, so in this case the 2 fans that come with the 4000d Airflow.

I am trying to find a case in the <150$ range (cheaper is obviously better) that would just generally have good airflow, good user features for cable management, etc.

Coolermaster h500 is a decent pick. Super good airflow and it is big which imo is much easier to build in compared to some smaller cases. As for cable management I believe it is pretty good in that regard as well. Just and overall solid case for 150 bucks on amazon. 

The 4000D airflow is a great case. The Pop Air series from Fractal are also really good. I've built in the 4000D airflow, but heard really good things about the Pop Air. I just got my XL Air a couple weeks ago and will be building in it once the rest of the parts show up.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/pop/pop-air/

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011200-WW

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Some of my go-to recommendations are the P300A, G360A, and P400A digital from Phanteks, Lancool 215 and Lancool II and III from Lian Li, and the Corsair 4000D Airflow. The be quiet 500DX is about on par with those in terms of performance (a little behind but not much) while being a little more expensive, but I also really like the look of it so it's worth taking a look at as well. All of those will be really easy to build in and should be in your <$150 price range to varying degrees. 

Not to say there aren't other cases that will do just great, and if you find a sale on something I wouldn't avoid it (there was a period of about 2 weeks where I did nothing but suggest the ASUS GT301 for a case since it was only $60 for a case more similar to that of a $120 case)

Good looks are subjective, but I like these.

Corsair 4000D/5000D

Fractal design Meshify 2

Be quiet! Pure Base 500DX

Fractal design Torrent compact

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

OK based on people having said the 4000d a lot of times, I qguess I will try that out.

6 minutes ago, Atvaster said:

OK based on people having said the 4000d a lot of times, I qguess I will try that out.

4000D and it's big brother the 5000D are fantastic. Great to build in, nice design, customizable and well made.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

22 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The 4000D airflow is a great case.

47 minutes ago, Atvaster said:

I am trying to find a case in the <150$ range (cheaper is obviously better) that would just generally have good airflow, good user features for cable management, etc.

another rec for 4000D Airflow, but my pick would be the Lian Li O11 Air Mini- the easiest case to build in I’ve ever used. Done two builds in it separately as well as rebuilding one of them multiple times.

24 minutes ago, Atvaster said:

I am not sure exactly how the front fans did. The person I helped build in that case wanted all matching fans so we swapped out the stock fans. Gamers Nexus' Case Torture Tests are all done with the fans that come with any case and no others, so in this case the 2 fans that come with the 4000d Airflow.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

It's extremely user friendly, has good airflow and you can even slide it into your rack when you get some rails for it.  If you don't like what it looks like you can always make a custom front panel which is the only thing you see when it's the rack 🙂  You can even fit very large mainboards.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:56 PM, heimdali said:

It's extremely user friendly, has good airflow and you can even slide it into your rack when you get some rails for it.  If you don't like what it looks like you can always make a custom front panel which is the only thing you see when it's the rack 🙂  You can even fit very large mainboards.

User friendly to a degree. Looks like it should have some of the worst cable management I’ve ever seen, absolute shit airflow- no ventilation anywhere but the back and a couple tiny gaps in the front panel- and it also looks like it’s 15 years old. They’re ugly as fuck and for the price you’re paying you could get a high-end case.

Show me a better and more userfriendly 19" case for that price, including 2x4 3.5" trays with backplanes.  Current price is 150, see https://www.ebay.de/itm/325221121207, for example.  The airflow is how it's supposed to be, pulling in air through the front cooling the drives, going through the case and out the back, with a row of fans behind the drives and, IIRC, one at the back, plus the PSU moving air through as well.  You got plenty of room to work with and there are no issues with cables.

And like I said, if you think it's ugly, make your own front panel since that's all you see of it once it's the rack.