How is a network switch slowing down my connection?

MUD03

I don't know much about networking but google says a switch shouldn't interfere as long as it is up to spec. But it for sure is. 

I upgraded from DSL to fiber recently. I have a network box in my apartment but the rooms I want wired didn't have ports in them so I never bothered wiring my whole apartment. The installer informed me while he was here that these apartments tend to have the network outlet hidden behind the coaxial outlet plates... he pulled one open and it was fully wired inside there. I'm hyped to get my whole house wired up but I don't really want to move my modem to where the network box is (will be bad for wireless connectivity) so I had him rig up a phone line in the room with the router to run data instead and then ran a cord from the router to the previously hidden ethernet so I can then run it from the network box to a switch and run the whole house from the switch. 

Sorry if this is hard to follow... 

I was doing testing and it ran perfect with just a jumper from one room to the next in the networking box but as soon as I hooked a switch up and tested the same room with only that change, that room is getting half the speed as it was and half the speed as the direct line that isn't going through the switch. The only thing introduced was the switch. All the cables are cat6, fully capable of my 200mbs and the switch is rated for 1gbs. I'm at a loss.

halp

5 minutes ago, MUD03 said:

I don't know much about networking but google says a switch shouldn't interfere as long as it is up to spec. But it for sure is. 

I upgraded from DSL to fiber recently. I have a network box in my apartment but the rooms I want wired didn't have ports in them so I never bothered wiring my whole apartment. The installer informed me while he was here that these apartments tend to have the network outlet hidden behind the coaxial outlet plates... he pulled one open and it was fully wired inside there. I'm hyped to get my whole house wired up but I don't really want to move my modem to where the network box is (will be bad for wireless connectivity) so I had him rig up a phone line in the room with the router to run data instead and then ran a cord from the router to the previously hidden ethernet so I can then run it from the network box to a switch and run the whole house from the switch. 

Sorry if this is hard to follow... 

I was doing testing and it ran perfect with just a jumper from one room to the next in the networking box but as soon as I hooked a switch up and tested the same room with only that change, that room is getting half the speed as it was and half the speed as the direct line that isn't going through the switch. The only thing introduced was the switch. All the cables are cat6, fully capable of my 200mbs and the switch is rated for 1gbs. I'm at a loss.

halp

So they are connected at 100mbps? Check the network adapter settings in windows. Is the link speed 100 or gigabit? 

Whats switch specifically is it? Are you sure it's a gigabit switch and not a 10/100 switch? 

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

So they are connected at 100mbps? Check the network adapter settings in windows. Is the link speed 100 or gigabit? 

Whats switch specifically is it? Are you sure it's a gigabit switch and not a 10/100 switch? 

Okay... I Should have followed the golden rule... I just simply restarted the computer in the test room and it is getting proper speeds now. 

I will write out my 100 "did you try turning it off and on again" lines as punishment.