Extreme Audio Issues - Tried so many different audio mixers?

Hi there!

I have been having some extreme audio issues, varying from audio constantly cutting out many times a minute when using a GoXLR, to audio having an extremely static sound when using a Razer Audio Mixer. I am certain that it is not a result of faulty devices of these as I have gone through 2 of each of them.  

My setup is:

Windows 11 64bit

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus Wifi ii ( BIOS version 2803)

MSI RTX 3060Ti

4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz

Audio:

Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 250Ohm, using a Schiit Magni 3+ to power.

Audiotechnica At2020 XLR

Razer Audio Mixer (previously GoXLR)

I have reinstalled windows, updated drivers, even replaced the motherboard from a MSI B550M variant, to my current TUF one. I've tried new cables, all the USB ports, basically everything.

The audio issue seems to only happen when my pc is under load (even if its a small load). It seems to be the worst when playing the new Call of Duty, but find attached an audio clip from me playing minecraft yesterday with Ray Tracing shaders.

My most likely guess would be its a USB issue as the onboard audio ports on the mobo have NO issues, but I need the interface to use my XLR microphone.

I have also used the headphones without the amp, but the overwhelming static is still there.

I really am stumped on what to do next, apart from just give up and try an Intel platform.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be immensely grateful.

Thanks!

Hello @YaBoiiGeorge!

That seems to be quite the pickle. Perhaps consider what things you haven't tried/replaced. Have you tried using a differnt DAC/amplifier? The only thing I can think of, other than a hardware failure, is that you might be in a place with a lot of electrical interference or something in the computer is not properly shielded from EMF. If no other computers exhibit the same problems in the room, then you might just have to swap parts in the build until you find the culprit, if it even can be found. I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but perhaps other people here have more experience to guide you in troubleshooting you problem. I wish you the best and good luck.

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

44 minutes ago, BookofNeat said:

Hello @YaBoiiGeorge!

That seems to be quite the pickle. Perhaps consider what things you haven't tried/replaced. Have you tried using a differnt DAC/amplifier? The only thing I can think of, other than a hardware failure, is that you might be in a place with a lot of electrical interference or something in the computer is not properly shielded from EMF. If no other computers exhibit the same problems in the room, then you might just have to swap parts in the build until you find the culprit, if it even can be found. I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but perhaps other people here have more experience to guide you in troubleshooting you problem. I wish you the best and good luck.

Thank you so much for the advice! 
firstly, I have tried using without the amplifier but the issue is still the same. I've gone through about 3 different DACs now haha.

The trouble is replicating the issue to the point where I can get support on it. My PC was pre-built from CyberPowerPC but it seems like it will be impossible to get it fixed unless they had all the same equipment to test it and find the issue. It is just really infuriating.

16 minutes ago, YaBoiiGeorge said:

Thank you so much for the advice! 
firstly, I have tried using without the amplifier but the issue is still the same. I've gone through about 3 different DACs now haha.

The trouble is replicating the issue to the point where I can get support on it. My PC was pre-built from CyberPowerPC but it seems like it will be impossible to get it fixed unless they had all the same equipment to test it and find the issue. It is just really infuriating.

Yes, that sounds like an unreasonable amount of pain, especially when you paid for the service of a pre-build computer. If it is still under warranty and you don't mind going a couple of weeks without it, you could ask to send it over so they have a look at it and (hopefully) solve the issue. It definitely is not a convenient solution and typically I would try my best to find the cause but audio equipment is not something I am confident advising on. I really hope other forum members with greater expertise than me can help; I'd hate to leave you to out to dry without giving a good effort but the whole field is far out of my reach in terms of experience. You could also ask for help in the various Reddit fourms dedicated to hardware and sound and draw from their own perspective and know-how. At this point, it's just a waiting game and hope the right person comes along but I'm afraid it's not me.

Again, I'm sorry about the whole situation. If you have any other questions let me know.

P.S. I don't know if anyone has told you yet but, welcome to the forums! ♪☆\(^0^\) ♪(/^-^)/☆♪

Have you tried using different cables? 

You know, a part of me is thinking maybe the headphones are at fault? Have tried just anything other than the cans you have now?

Another part of me is questioning maybe if there is a CPU issue? It is really strange this only happens under load. 

It may even be related to power. Maybe a bad power supply? 

I remember years ago E-Machines would have horrible USB issues because of bad power supplies. Part of me is thinking maybe because the system is under load, something itsn't kosher with the power delivery leading to unexpected and unexplained behavior. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

36 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

Have you tried using different cables? 

You know, a part of me is thinking maybe the headphones are at fault? Have tried just anything other than the cans you have now?

Another part of me is questioning maybe if there is a CPU issue? It is really strange this only happens under load. 

It may even be related to power. Maybe a bad power supply? 

I remember years ago E-Machines would have horrible USB issues because of bad power supplies. Part of me is thinking maybe because the system is under load, something itsn't kosher with the power delivery leading to unexpected and unexplained behavior. 

@Pickles von BrineI have tried using some different cables but to no avail. i also tried some steelseries arctis 7 that I just had lying about but nope, same issue. 😞

As for your further points regarding a possible CPU/PSU issue, is there any way that you'd recommend that will help me determine if that is the case? Is there any sort of testing that can narrow the picture down?

I genuinely thought it was just down to a funky B550 board as it is only USB interfaces having the audio issues, and the headphones and general audio is completely fine if just plugged in via 3.5mm on the top of my case or the back of my mobo.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, BookofNeat said:

Yes, that sounds like an unreasonable amount of pain, especially when you paid for the service of a pre-build computer. If it is still under warranty and you don't mind going a couple of weeks without it, you could ask to send it over so they have a look at it and (hopefully) solve the issue. It definitely is not a convenient solution and typically I would try my best to find the cause but audio equipment is not something I am confident advising on. I really hope other forum members with greater expertise than me can help; I'd hate to leave you to out to dry without giving a good effort but the whole field is far out of my reach in terms of experience. You could also ask for help in the various Reddit fourms dedicated to hardware and sound and draw from their own perspective and know-how. At this point, it's just a waiting game and hope the right person comes along but I'm afraid it's not me.

Again, I'm sorry about the whole situation. If you have any other questions let me know.

P.S. I don't know if anyone has told you yet but, welcome to the forums! ♪☆\(^0^\) ♪(/^-^)/☆♪

I might have to do just that! It is my second or third time contacting them again as I keep on getting specific weird issues cropping up.

Thank you so much for the help you've provided me and for the warm welcome you've given me to the forums! I hope all my interactions in the future here will be as amazing as they have been with you!

1 minute ago, YaBoiiGeorge said:

I might have to do just that! It is my second or third time contacting them again as I keep on getting specific weird issues cropping up.

Thank you so much for the help you've provided me and for the warm welcome you've given me to the forums! I hope all my interactions in the future here will be as amazing as they have been with you!

✿◕ ‿ ◕✿

You're very welcome! I've been digging a bit on the issue and it seems that other people with Ryzen systems also have the same problems. There is a post from a person that claims they encountered the problem while overclocking their CPU and after raising the CLDO VDDG/ VDDG IOD voltage the issue disappeared. It may be a long shot but you could try undervolting the CPU or undoing/disabling any overclocking behaviours. I can't recommend increasing the voltages unless you know what you are doing or you have someone that can provide guidance on the issue. It could work or it could not but I think it's worth the try.

If there is anything else I can help in the future, just send me a message and I'll see if I can help in any way, just message me at @BookofNeat.

44 minutes ago, YaBoiiGeorge said:

@Pickles von BrineI have tried using some different cables but to no avail. i also tried some steelseries arctis 7 that I just had lying about but nope, same issue. 😞

As for your further points regarding a possible CPU/PSU issue, is there any way that you'd recommend that will help me determine if that is the case? Is there any sort of testing that can narrow the picture down?

I genuinely thought it was just down to a funky B550 board as it is only USB interfaces having the audio issues, and the headphones and general audio is completely fine if just plugged in via 3.5mm on the top of my case or the back of my mobo.

Many thanks!

The only way to know for sure is simply by testing. I would order a good power supply off of amazon or someplace it is easy to return. For a CPU, get a low end CPU that your system supports. I use to keep around a celeron for my 3770k system XD Runs like shit but great for testing. 

The cheapest option I can find is something like the Ryzen 5 4600G that also has onboard graphics. Gives you options if you ever need it for troubleshooting. 

Maybe a friedn has a power power supply?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD