Putting artic 2 AIO in a fridge to cool it. Ideas?

SinOfLiberty

Basically throw it in a fridge for 12 hors. 

Afterwards, take out, Mount and bench.

Ideas? Really need to drop few more degrees. Water should be Co enough by then

It'd heat back up very quickly, AIO do not have enough liquid to remain cold for very long (thermal mass is the term I think). 

Pull off the fans, put the AIO radiator in a cooler full of ice water, that will actually work, have seen a bunch of people use that for benchmarking when they don't have a chiller, with both custom loops and AIOs (custom loop would be easier as you can make the tubing as long as you want). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

It'd heat back up very quickly, AIO do not have enough liquid to remain cold for very log (thermal mass is the term I think). 

Pull off the fans, put the AIO radiator in a cooler full of ice water, that will actually work, have seen a bunch of people use that for benchmarking when they don't have a chiller, with both custom loops and AIOs (custom loop would be easier as you can make the tubing as long as you want). 

To even increase efficiency more people put an aquarium pump in the water to make sure it's constantly mixing the liquid.

Just now, heimdali said:

Freezing an AIO?  Doesn't it blow up from the freezing water expanding?

Fridge =/ a freezer.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You'll have more success by taking the fans off the radiator and submerge it into a bucket of cold water. Then prepare another bucket of cold water once the 1st one starts to heat up and keep switching like this between them for the duration of the bench.

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Fridge =/ a freezer.

I thought so, but what does happen when you freeze one?  Maybe there's still enough room for the water to expand?  Is there antifreeze in it?

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

I thought so, but what does happen when you freeze one?  Maybe there's still enough room for the water to expand?  Is there antifreeze in it?

No antifreeze. Wouldn't make sense to have that as they are never supposed to be in those enviroments.

If you freeze it it's gonna do nothing. As the liquid will be forzen and that will basically guaranteed kill the pump.

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

If you guys want to see what happens I have an old corsair cooler I can put in my chicken freezer and see what happens but I bet it isn't good.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

11 minutes ago, Slave2school said:

If you guys want to see what happens I have an old corsair cooler I can put in my chicken freezer and see what happens but I bet it isn't good.

Probably wouldn’t burst, but it wouldn’t function either.

36 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No antifreeze. Wouldn't make sense to have that as they are never supposed to be in those enviroments.

If you freeze it it's gonna do nothing. As the liquid will be forzen and that will basically guaranteed kill the pump.

They have glycol, isn't that just antifreeze?

26 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Yes, it is --- maybe that's why it's called Arctic 🙂

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

What if you use it some place where it's cold, like a garage in Alaska.  How are you gona ship it?

What kind of reliability is that ... ah, unreliability ...

56 minutes ago, SinOfLiberty said:

Ideas how to take these Fucking 5c off?

If you make it colder, it might freeze and kill the pump ...  To get it colder, you could make your own watercooling with antifreeze in it and put the radiator in a freezer, or try a bucket with ice in it right out of a freezer where it gets to -18C.  Add salt to the ice to get it colder, that's how they used to make ice cream.  But water ice melts at 0C, so it might not as easy to get it colder as you might expect, hence the salt.

Or move the setup into a garage in Alaska.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

You'll have more success by taking the fans off the radiator and submerge it into a bucket of cold water. Then prepare another bucket of cold water once the 1st one starts to heat up and keep switching like this between them for the duration of the bench.

This.

A 5 gallon bucket of ice water to hold the Radiator.

Point a couple of cheap aquarium pumps at the rad, and have them shoot water.

Enjoy your super sketch super cold aio

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Depends on the unit heavily. Also the amount in there. It's NOT a guarantee

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!5C1FBEEF-9925-42C0-90EC-A41517CC68EF.thumb.jpeg.0a6ff2dfd299e24cbd8163620efa8a24.jpeg

On 10/27/2022 at 2:25 AM, tkitch said:

This.

A 5 gallon bucket of ice water to hold the Radiator.

Point a couple of cheap aquarium pumps at the rad, and have them shoot water.

Enjoy your super sketch super cold aio

That would need at least some salt.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:37 AM, SinOfLiberty said:

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

How did you manage?

On 10/27/2022 at 2:36 AM, jaslion said:

Depends on the unit heavily. Also the amount in there. It's NOT a guarantee

You still need to be able to at least ship them, no matter what unit.  Either you have to guarantee that they don't blow when frozen or keep them above 0C all the time during shipping and storage or you simply put antifreeze in, which seems the much easier and cheaper solution.  You don't want algae or whatever to grow in them and plug them up (or maybe you do), so you probably put additives anyway (or not).

Should I manually input.voltage if I already set manual voltage in bios?

9 hours ago, heimdali said:

You still need to be able to at least ship them, no matter what unit.  Either you have to guarantee that they don't blow when frozen or keep them above 0C all the time during shipping and storage or you simply put antifreeze in, which seems the much easier and cheaper solution.  You don't want algae or whatever to grow in them and plug them up (or maybe you do), so you probably put additives anyway (or not).

Yes most have some solution in there and allow for expansion BUT it's never pure glycol it's always a blend of stuff to keep it as cheap as possible.

People have done the freezin aio by accident thing multiple times when doing the -10c hang aio outside thing when the pc wasnt running and the pump struggled because the consistency of the fluid changed.

They are very much so not designed to operate below freezing temps.

Yes most have some solution in there and allow for expansion BUT it's never pure glycol it's always a blend of stuff to keep it as cheap as possible.

People have done the freezin aio by accident thing multiple times when doing the -10c hang aio outside thing when the pc wasnt running and the pump struggled because the consistency of the fluid changed.

They are very much so not designed to operate below freezing temps.

Antifreeze isn't pure glycol either. At least the stuff I use in - 40c Saskatchewan isn't 

Glycol doesn't transport the heat as well as water does.  They would only need to put as much antifreeze in as is needed to survive shipping, and when they specify a operating temperature range, they're probably on the save side.