RTX 3070 Ti vs RX 6800 XT

Tiberius_be

So, I want to build a PC and for a gpu, I'm right now looking at the used market. I found both an RTX 3070 ti and an RX 6800 XT for € 550. So now I want to know, which one is the better buy for that money

6800XT is faster generally, 3070Ti does better RT and streaming with NVENC. If you don't stream and don't play to play too many RT titles I'd definitely go for the 6800XT, not to mention it doesn't use GDDR6X which runs pretty hot and isn't exactly known to live long on the 3000 series. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

yeah, so that's the thing, I would like to run ray-traced minecraft, but not any other titles. Is the RX 6800 xt still the best option then? Also, does FSR 2.0 work in minecraft?

As ZetZet said the 6800XT is faster in traditional rastorization beating the 3070 ti in 1440p and 4k.

AMF/VCE on amd cards is good now, allowing you to stream (if you are in to that) on these cards with great results.

The extra memory is also a nice selling point for these cards, especially if you plan on higher resolution gaming.

EDIT: Ray tracing performance on AMD cards is hot garbage for now, as far as FSR in Minecraft goes, I don't think they have that option.

Edited by Alinz
Okay, just checked. Raytracing isnt hot garbage but its decent enough I guess

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

3 minutes ago, Tiberius_be said:

yeah, so that's the thing, I would like to run ray-traced minecraft, but not any other titles. Is the RX 6800 xt still the best option then? Also, does FSR 2.0 work in minecraft?

6800XT can still do ray-tracing, it's pretty comparable to 3070Ti with it enabled, but no Minecraft has no official FSR 2.0 support.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

but it could be added in the future right? Also, I kinda like the extra Vram

1 minute ago, Tiberius_be said:

Minecraft has been around since the beginning of time, so since RT was added, then yes, FSR 2.0 could be added. In fact, I suspect that there might be mods to do just that fairly soon, but I've really stopped paying attention to minecraft lately, so I'm not really 'in the scene' anymore on that one. D: Last modpack I played was from 2009...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 minutes ago, Tiberius_be said:

Well, yeah it could be added in the future.

As for now it is not on the Upcomming FSR2 Games list on AMD's website.

Also, purchasing a product based on a feature they might add to your favorite game is not the smartest buying decision.

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

8 minutes ago, Tiberius_be said:

It could and AMD recently improved their OpenGL drivers by a lot so Minecraft RTX should run pretty well even without FSR. https://www.pcinvasion.com/amd-radeon-adrenalin-driver-22-7-1-minecraft/

Spoiler

According to this Toms Hardware review the 6800XT beats the 3070TI by 18% in standard rasterization 1440p, while the difference in RT performance is under 2% in favor of the 3070Ti. So I would say go for the 6800XT.

I replaced my 3070(non-TI) with a 6800XT and are really happy with that, mostly because of Cities Skylines that uses a lot more than the 8 GB VRAM that the 3070 has.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do