Sharing storage drives between 2 motherboards?

Go to solution Solved by LpoolTech,
3 hours ago, CrimsonDarkLord said:

Let’s say I go down the NAS route, are there any specific NAS systems that can be powered from inside the case using the existing PSU?

If only 1 PC will be turned on at a time, I wonder if it might be possible to have it hooked up in a way that the NAS system will power on regardless of which system is turned on.

Please quote if you want us to see that you have replied. 

NAS is an external device it usually stays on 24h but they are low power if you worry about consumption If you decide to keep one PC running at all times then you can skip VM, just share network drives (make sure that partition type can be recognized by both windows and hackintosh  

Working on a dual system build in the Corsair Obsidian 1000D, with one system running Windows and the other running Hackintosh.

I will never use both systems at the same time. They will both be connected to the same monitor.

Apart from sharing peripherals, is there a way to share storage drives (eg. SSDs and HDDs) such that I can be using either one of the systems and have access to all files vise versa?

Since the case is a behemoth and I don’t plan on using water cooling, I was wondering if I could build a NAS system inside it. However, would that mean I would have an extra device to “turn on” whenever I boot the computer?

Look forward to your recommendations!

If both systems are running at the same time you can share the drive or a folder on the drive on the network and add it as a network drive on the other system.

I'm no expert on this kind of thing, but thats what I can think of other than using it as an external drive via usb, and use a USB switch

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Like it has been said before, if both PC are on then you can just network share the drives if not then you could get a NAS to keep your files on and have access to it from both PCs (you can't do it with boot drives if its not obvious) 

Let’s say I go down the NAS route, are there any specific NAS systems that can be powered from inside the case using the existing PSU?

If only 1 PC will be turned on at a time, I wonder if it might be possible to have it hooked up in a way that the NAS system will power on regardless of which system is turned on.

NAS are generally always on.

If you want everything in the one box a possible solution would be to keep one system always powered up and running a VM that hosts the NAS. One would want that system to have two network interfaces so one could be dedicated to the NA VM.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, CrimsonDarkLord said:

NAS is an external device it usually stays on 24h but they are low power if you worry about consumption If you decide to keep one PC running at all times then you can skip VM, just share network drives (make sure that partition type can be recognized by both windows and hackintosh  

On 10/18/2022 at 9:37 AM, LpoolTech said:

I guess the only solution for shared storage would be a NAS setup that is left on 24/7 (just like my WiFi modem)?

Thanks guys for the advice with this.

11 hours ago, CrimsonDarkLord said:

I guess the only solution for shared storage would be a NAS setup that is left on 24/7 (just like my WiFi modem)?

Thanks guys for the advice with this.

or running both machines at the same time or something which wasn't mentioned (although you may loose some speed) you can get yourself external HDD/SSD reader or just simple SATA to USB cases for your drives and connect them to whichever PC you are using at the time