3930k vs 3770k (Quadcore vs SEXcore)

I was thinking maybe we could make a compiled list of benchmarks and data that can show the differences between these 2 CPU's. I have picked 2 unlocked CPU's for a reason, if you can find any good overclock results post them here as well. Dont focus too much on games, I am more concerned for applications that compile, render, and do encoding. ex: visual studios, 3ds max. Whatever you can find that is popular among workstations.

The Six-core cpu is more intended for things like encoding, 3D rendering, etc... (aka, where it benefits form multiple cores)

For gaming a quad-core is more than enough. ^^

Here's some specs if you want to check it out :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116491&Tpk=3960x

It is a step up from the 3930k sporting 15MB of L3 cache as well as a 100MHz higher stock clock. Though this is nice there is one other that is a step higher than the 3960x and it's only $10 more on newegg currently. Check out the 3970x here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116877

Boasting a 300MHz higher stock clock than the 3930k(200MHz higher within turbo mode[4.0GHz compared to 3.8GHz]) and keeping the 15MB of L3 cache it is the current top dog of the processor market. It also utilizes 20W of power more than the 3960x and the 3930k. If you're looking to drop some serious coin on a processor, this would be a great one to look at. Though the higher you go in price the less performance per dollar you get. Completely up to you.

The Six-core cpu is more intended for things like encoding, 3D rendering, etc... (aka, where it benefits form multiple cores)

For gaming a quad-core is more than enough. ^^

ik... thus why i am asking for rendering and compiling benchmarks

How much of a difference does 100mhz more / 200mhz more and 15 mb of cache make

Cpu intensive applications always do better with more cores, don't really need graphs for that.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

This is the 3960X which is much different then the 3930K. These are from Tomshardware all credit to them and the authors Patrick Schmid, Achim Roos

res_app_3d_studio.png

res_app_abbyy.png

res_app_blender.png

Oops i meant there isn't much different from the 3960X to the 3930K. I think the only thing different about them is the X has a 100-200 MHz higher stock clock speed.

Nice catch thegamezbeplayed i very much missed that.

For the stuff you listed, a 3930k/3960x/3970x would beat a 3770k by a worthwhile (IMO) amount...

Everything else, they are pretty much equal going back and forth on various benchmarks/games/programs/etc.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

how is the 3960x much different?
Not much, really. It's a premium-type higher binned chip, which theoretically is slightly better on average than the 3930k in terms of overclocking. I wouldn't bother with it though, the performance difference (even when overclocked) is minimal and it's determinately not worth the extra costs.

Relevant article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-test-benchmark,3090.html

Cpu intensive applications always do better with more cores, don't really need graphs for that.
youd think so but the data says otherwise

the quad core seems better because ivy bridge,3770K,had higher IPC's than sandybridge,3930K/3960X.

see the single threaded performance in cinebench on the anandtech benchmark linked above.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=552

I'd personally wait for the lga 2011 ivy bridge cores to release for that little extra bump in performance.should be sometime Q2-Q3 this year

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

There is no real point in going for a 2011 hex-core chip for a gaming system. a quad core 3570/3770 is more than capable to run todays games. However if you're doing heavy video rendering and when I say heavy I don't mean a 20 minute video for YouTube of your CoD gameplay, I mean 1080P 60 or higher for at least an half an hour that's originally raw and uncompressed. Other legitimate reasons are for things like game development, web hosting, host virtualization, audio recording and editing ect.

Also one thing I've noticed with a lot of 2011 builds that people think they're going to get is they go and get a 3930K or an i7 extreme and then let their system down with low quality drives, cooling ect - they're called extreme processors for a reason - they're top of the line and when a system is being designed they should be treated with respect and that means a decent budget of at least $3k.