Should i updgrade my CPU + Motherboard when the RTX 40XX comes out + suggestions

Nala

Hey everyone,

With the upcoming RTX 40XX series coming out soon i want to upgrade some parts of my PC. I Have 2 questions concerning that : 

1/ My current config is : GPU: 2070 SUPER ( will change the GPU 100% ) - CPU : Intel  i7-7700K oc to 4,8ghz - Motherboard : MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon.
Will i get bottlenecked if i just replace my current GPU with for exemple a 4080 16GB ? ( i am probably going for a 4080 16GB so.. )

Do i 100% need to change motherboard + CPU ?
( Full config + tests here : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55682917 )

2/ If i need to change Motherboard + Cpu, what would be the best call ? i see that the prices for the cpu's has gone up in the last months. Is it ok to buy now or should i wait a bit ( but for what ? ) ? Also what CPU and motherboard would you suggest ? I mostly play games like Valorant, MW2, New world, ... and stream a bit.

I need minimum 144hz in MMo's games and 240 in FPS (  in Valorant, OW2, not COD because i don't even know if thats possible )

Budget (including currency): Depends, i'd say i have 1700-2K€ max to invest for : GPU - CPU - motherboard - Power Supply

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Demanding FPS's like the new COD coming out, also MMo's like New World or upcoming mmo's like ashes of creation ( basically, really demanding games )

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 144 hz minimum with decent/high graphic settings, in 1080 or 2K or more ?

Thanks a lot to everyone's reading and answering! 

40 series cards right now are extremely shit value. Deadass your 2k euro won't be enough if you want a GPU and CPU upgrade with all the rest of the things that come with it. AM5 is the only real option here and AMD knows it, so they're milking the CPU's now as well.

A GPU upgrade will go much farther for anything above 2k, as then you're mostly GPU bottlenecked, especially at 4K. 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Also the RTX 4000 series need a PSU with 12VHPWR connector afaik...

So perhaps a new PSU is also required.

Edit: OP seems to have mentioned it already, so it is.

I edit my posts more often than not

24 minutes ago, venomtail said:

40 series cards right now are extremely shit value.

A GPU upgrade will go much farther for anything above 2k, as then you're mostly GPU bottlenecked, especially at 4K. 

So what's the move for the gpu  ? 3090ti ? tbh i can't wait for another gen, because that's the moment the prices are going to go down.
Also yea amd might be better for cpu but my knowledge is limited never had any amd parts. 

28 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Also the RTX 4000 series need a PSU with 12VHPWR connector afaik...

So perhaps a new PSU is also required.

Yes i understood that another PSU is required 🥲

1 hour ago, Nala said:

So what's the move for the gpu  ? 3090ti ? tbh i can't wait for another gen, because that's the moment the prices are going to go down.
Also yea amd might be better for cpu but my knowledge is limited never had any amd parts. 

I'm waiting for new AMD cards personally.

I Wouldn't want to pay 1.5x the price of a mid range PC setup just for one 4090.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, Nala said:

Hey everyone,

With the upcoming RTX 40XX series coming out soon i want to upgrade some parts of my PC. I Have 2 questions concerning that : 

1/ My current config is : GPU: 2070 SUPER ( will change the GPU 100% ) - CPU : Intel  i7-7700K oc to 4,8ghz - Motherboard : MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon.
Will i get bottlenecked if i just replace my current GPU with for exemple a 4080 16GB ? ( i am probably going for a 4080 16GB so.. )

Do i 100% need to change motherboard + CPU ?
( Full config + tests here : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55682917 )

2/ If i need to change Motherboard + Cpu, what would be the best call ? i see that the prices for the cpu's has gone up in the last months. Is it ok to buy now or should i wait a bit ( but for what ? ) ? Also what CPU and motherboard would you suggest ? I mostly play games like Valorant, MW2, New world, ... and stream a bit.

I need minimum 144hz in MMo's games and 240 in FPS (  in Valorant, OW2, not COD because i don't even know if thats possible )

Budget (including currency): Depends, i'd say i have 1700-2K€ max to invest for : GPU - CPU - motherboard - Power Supply

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Demanding FPS's like the new COD coming out, also MMo's like New World or upcoming mmo's like ashes of creation ( basically, really demanding games )

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 144 hz minimum with decent/high graphic settings, in 1080 or 2K or more ?

Thanks a lot to everyone's reading and answering! 

I would just upgrade everything and use your old parts as a secondary PC for streaming or use it as a server or just anything else. Now with how things are going currently I would suggest upgrading to the newer line of AMD cpus and get yourself a good cooler because they're meant to go to 95c underload. So with a decent cooler the CPU might clock itself high to get to the 95c mark. Which means you need a AM5 motherboard, a new PSU. Maybe DDR5 ram depending on the motherboard. Also with the new line of GPUs I would suggest going AMD because they're starting off cheaper as a competitor  

15 hours ago, Noble3212 said:

I would just upgrade everything and use your old parts as a secondary PC for streaming or use it as a server or just anything else. Now with how things are going currently I would suggest upgrading to the newer line of AMD cpus and get yourself a good cooler because they're meant to go to 95c underload. So with a decent cooler the CPU might clock itself high to get to the 95c mark. Which means you need a AM5 motherboard, a new PSU. Maybe DDR5 ram depending on the motherboard. Also with the new line of GPUs I would suggest going AMD because they're starting off cheaper as a competitor  

I see... That would mean i need to change everything , even the ram and the cooler. I might just wait to see what AMD propose in gpu. Might be the right choice for me

AM5 cpu:s, like intel's 1700:s, wont run 100C in games. The efficiency is bad in cpu rendering and multi-core benchmarks and thats quite meaningless for 95% of people.