Have an idea for 12700 owners:

So I’m building a 12700 machine.  95% gaming.  The ecores are useless to me as are 2 pcores at least for now.  They may never be needed.  It’s more or less a 12400 with spare stuff. So I was thinking:  this is probably true for all the 12700 owners.  Throw a vm on it and run some foldin@home thing on the ecores.  They’re ecores so the powerdraw wouldn’t be intense.  There could be spare threads all over the place.  A lot of people only have a home license though so no VM. I am putting a pi ip kvm on mine, but that’s not common. If there was a pice of x86 software that ran in the background and only messed with the ecores though it wouldn’t hit the powerdraw very hard, and they’re not being used for anything else.  Making it easy for 12700/12900 owners to run some folding@home in the background might result in a lot more folding@home machines.

this has probably already been done or shot down a long time ago.  I thought I’d mention it though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can manually assign which 'cores' get assigned to what. That's what the Windows scheduler would do.

That being said, if there was any way of achieving what you're suggesting is by running something like Hyper V (would need Windows 11 Professional) and seeing if you could achieve it that way?

The issue I see arising is that the Windows Host will see that the virtual cores you've assigned to the VM are requesting lots of (heavy) CPU time, meeaning it may try prioritize the P cores to those tasks? I'm just spitballin' - I don't own an Intel chip new enough to test that 😛

4 hours ago, slippers_ said:

I don't think you can manually assign which 'cores' get assigned to what. That's what the Windows scheduler would do.

That being said, if there was any way of achieving what you're suggesting is by running something like Hyper V (would need Windows 11 Professional) and seeing if you could achieve it that way?

The issue I see arising is that the Windows Host will see that the virtual cores you've assigned to the VM are requesting lots of (heavy) CPU time, meeaning it may try prioritize the P cores to those tasks? I'm just spitballin' - I don't own an Intel chip new enough to test that 😛

Or there’s a Linux bare metal for free.  I’m getting 11 educational which is the same as enterprise but lots cheaper.  I’ll see then.  Will take about another week before I can check though.  I was afraid I’d have to run a vm for other reasons so I was already planning on educational.  Still tempted to run a bare metal Linux/BSD vm environment and just vm the windows with a passthrough for the video card on general principal.  I could give the second vm up to two pcores even and still have enough to do what I want.  Right now I don’t have any storage for the thing so it’s academic. I’ll do what needs to be done when the time comes though.  Also getting a piKVM but that is coming from China so it will be even longer for that.  Then I can administrate everything from my phone anywhere in the world. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Or there’s a Linux bare metal for free.  I’m getting 11 educational which is the same as enterprise but lots cheaper.  I’ll see then.  Will take about another week before I can check though.  I was afraid I’d have to run a vm for other reasons so I was already planning on educational.  Still tempted to run a bare metal Linux/BSD vm environment and just vm the windows with a passthrough for the video card on general principal.  I could give the second vm up to two pcores even and still have enough to do what I want.  Right now I don’t have any storage for the thing so it’s academic. I’ll do what needs to be done when the time comes though.  Also getting a piKVM but that is coming from China so it will be even longer for that.  Then I can administrate everything from my phone anywhere in the world. 

Ok sounds cool! I'll be intersted how you get on with that!

2 hours ago, slippers_ said:

Ok sounds cool! I'll be intersted how you get on with that!

As I understand, about like I’m sitting at the computer.  The whole point of a pi kvm is the computer doesn’t even know you’re not. It’s got inputs and outputs for the case I/0 that run through the pi. So you contact the pi, which is always on, and even if the main machine has been shutdown you can turn it back on.  The pi is super low wattage of course so running it on standby is basically ghost power.  The case I/0 has usb in it, which the pi can also control. And it sends keyboard inputs and mouse movements just like you were there.   There’s also a video in.  I think you have to run a video out cable from the video card to the pikvm or something.  I’m not sure.  I’ll find out when it gets here.  There’s no rdp at all though. In some ways it’s a lot like physical access though so we’ll be running some 256bit quantum hardened encryption I think.  I’ve got processor cycles to spare.  It runs on a pi4. There’s a YouTube on the thing entitled “hey dude!  I put a computer in my computer!”  The product seems to have evolved slightly.  You get both the box components and the pcie card components.  I’ll need both to attach it inside my case so it’s all cool.  Got no idea where I might put the screen though.  Maybe I’ll leave it off.  No stupid proprietary cards, no monthly fees, no hoping this or that company doesn’t go out of business and leave you high and dry..and you can even turn your machine on and off.

If you are talking about the 12700, I'm using it right now, Windows 11 22H2 actually broke something and forced all my FAH CPU computing on the E cores, which is probably what you wanted, but it sucks.

There is definitely some bug with the scheduler because it actually adds too much stuff on E cores and causes the whole system to choke.

On 10/16/2022 at 6:39 AM, slippers_ said:

Turns out you can, but you have to do it app by app.  It’s called “processor affinity” and is in the task manager on win10

On 10/18/2022 at 1:11 PM, TomChaai said:

If you are talking about the 12700, I'm using it right now, Windows 11 22H2 actually broke something and forced all my FAH CPU computing on the E cores, which is probably what you wanted, but it sucks.

There is definitely some bug with the scheduler because it actually adds too much stuff on E cores and causes the whole system to choke.

Could be. Wouldn’t be the first weirdness I’ve heard of in 2h22. You can apparently manually assign processor affinity though.  

On 10/24/2022 at 9:18 AM, Bombastinator said:

Could be. Wouldn’t be the first weirdness I’ve heard of in 2h22. You can apparently manually assign processor affinity though.  

The bug seem to be random, sometimes it works fine.

When it happens, manually configuring core usage in FAH client doesn't work at all. I'm experimenting with process priority and/or affinity.

My theory is 22H2 changed the priority behavior, when the workload itself fits certain criteria, the priority is requested as lowest and no manual override of core affinity, it dumps them on E cores only?

Not my first Feature Update weirdness either. I used to work for MS and had the "priviledge" of experiencing all kinds of GA release weirdness first hand. 

1 hour ago, TomChaai said:

The bug seem to be random, sometimes it works fine.

When it happens, manually configuring core usage in FAH client doesn't work at all. I'm experimenting with process priority and/or affinity.

My theory is 22H2 changed the priority behavior, when the workload itself fits certain criteria, the priority is requested as lowest and no manual override of core affinity, it dumps them on E cores only?

Not my first Feature Update weirdness either. I used to work for MS and had the "priviledge" of experiencing all kinds of GA release weirdness first hand. 

I just ran across a control.  Apparently you can turn that off.  I may wind up using a bare metal vm and running windows on that though so it may not matter.  The xen project one, though I don’t know which that one is yet.  I turned off my machine and am about to go to bed though.  Maybe google knows something.  It’s apparently also called cpu pinning.  Probably what everyone calls it and what it was originally called then Microsoft made up their own word.  Again.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 10/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, Bombastinator said:

I just ran across a control.  Apparently you can turn that off.  I may wind up using a bare metal vm and running windows on that though so it may not matter.  The xen project one, though I don’t know which that one is yet.  I turned off my machine and am about to go to bed though.  Maybe google knows something.  It’s apparently also called cpu pinning.  Probably what everyone calls it and what it was originally called then Microsoft made up their own word.  Again.

Process Lasso?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7