Ethernet Problem

JDSpark

So I have been using an ethernet cable for months, since I got my new Computer. Everything was going fine until 2 weeks ago, where the speeds are fine however whenever i try to watch a Youtube Video or a Movie on a streaming platform, it keeps on buffering. I contacted my ISP and they said everything is fine with Router/Modem. Does anyone know any settings that I can try changing on my computer to fix this problem?

Have you run a speed test? What speeds is your ISP giving you? What's your latency? Are you dropping packets? What DNS are you pointing to? Check your network adapter, is it 10/100 or 1Gbps? Maybe it's not a networking issue at all?  

13 hours ago, JDSpark said:

So I have been using an ethernet cable for months, since I got my new Computer. Everything was going fine until 2 weeks ago, where the speeds are fine however whenever i try to watch a Youtube Video or a Movie on a streaming platform, it keeps on buffering. I contacted my ISP and they said everything is fine with Router/Modem. Does anyone know any settings that I can try changing on my computer to fix this problem?

First of all, this isn't necessarily a problem with your ethernet cable. Have you made sure that there are no background-running apps that are consuming your bandwidth? Like a BT client or Windows Update? Are there any other clients on the network downloading/uploading at the same time you're streaming?

Secondly, what is the link speed being negotiated by the NIC? If it's 1Gbps constantly, then that's fine.

Thirdly, what type of internet connection do you have? What speeds are you paying for? You're more likely to notice speed reductions on slower bandwidth connections than faster ones. Run a speed test on fast.com and speedtest.net.

Finally, inspect the actual ethernet cable run. What type of ethernet is it (CAT5e/Cat6/etc.)? Is there any visible evidence of damage to the cable itself? Any sharp bends in the cable?