Gaming on 1080p projector - 4k thoughts?

irishbeast

I have been doing a bit f this lately, mainly on my PS5 and its pretty fun for what was a cheap projector, really for watching films. It is only 1080p so wasn't expecting miracle visuals but all things considered its  worked out abort £100 or $108 usb. Dare i say are ore pretty decent, added to by the acquisition of some new black curtains!

So the ps5 works ok at 1080. Pretty happy as I am not a hardcore gamer but lie games which are a  nice AV experience as well as the game content.

Its crazy how the playstion 5 can produce amazing 4k visuals using a GPU which is dates and will remain dated (in PC land) for some time..

Had anyone got carried away in a situation like this and bought a 4k prtor. I am tempted but they are very expensive, and not sure whether the naked eye difference would be notable. I havea PC with a 5900x and tn rtx 3080which can handl 4k, for most games (cp 2077 etc excluded

-

Justw odnering if they expensive upgrade is actually worth it. Anyone upgraded projector and got a happy ending to report!

There are two segments for projectors--each of which caters to a different type of consumer:

-The first type is ~$300 or less market.  Quality is irrelevant.  This segment exists so "LOOK, I HAZ PROJECTORZ!!!!" consumers can be satiated.  Comparing products from this segment is pointless, as any meaningful measurable metric will immediately showcase their shortcomings.

-The second type doesn't have a set price point.  It ranges from anywhere about $300 to upwards of $30,000.  Features matter, because these are what distinguish each product from the next most expensive one.  Things like HDR capability and %; response latency; input latency; ANSI lumens; throw distance; screen gain; ambient light interference; illumination type/source; .66 or .42 pixel shift--all matter.

---

If you are in the former category, that's fine.  Someone will always be willing to take your money.  That said...you aren't going to get sufficient quality to justify upgrading from a 75" or even 85" flat-panel display--for the cost.  Most of the consumers in the first group would balk at the idea that a proper screen costs more than their "projector", even for an inexpensive one.

In gist, you can roughly assume that there's a somewhat fixed cost per square inch of display--so you should be expecting to pay 4x the cost for a 120" setup (projector + screen) than you would for a 60" flat panel.  Minimum.

Yeah fair enough. I bought the projector mainly for film which is works fine for. I have to say its decent for 1080p gaming as well. Better than I had expected for sure. I'm more than happy with it playing ps5 games. I have a 50 inch OLED telly if I want to play ps5 in 4k HDR, which looks pretty sweet. 

Have a decent gaming desktop, trying to get back into PC haming as I have a little spare time now that I have completed my home. Move. Decent 2k monitor, no HDR sadly but runs everything in in 4k pretty much (some exceptions like Cyberpunk which are terrible in 4) but set me back a few quid (Ruden 5900x rtx 30890 gpu. 

Was interesting comparing the Cyberpunk in 4k to the PS5 version. Ps5 wind hands down for playability as its smooth but the image quality is some way. offPretty much  as expected

I have a 4k UST projector (Optoma Cinemax P1).  They're a fantastic product.  That said, if you are expecting to get a quality setup (UST) for < $4000, you're barking up the wrong tree.  Even with a long-throw projector, you're in the $2500-3500 range (even though the screen is cheaper than for UST's ALR).  Can you go cheaper?  Sure.  Don't get 4k.  Don't get a laser light source and get something with a conventional bulb.  Use "Screen Paint" instead of a proper screen.  But those will all be inferior to good quality setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently run a Hisense 100l5G as I live in a basement suit and 100 inch was the biggest I can fit. Its fantastic for everything EXCEPT I think there is a bit to much latency for gaming if its something like a fps. I need to game some more on it to see if its actually a hardware problem or if I am just trash lol, its still new to me and Im really out of practice. With that being said now that I have this thing I would never go back to a 65-75 like I had before. The picture quality isnt as good as an OLED obviously but its overall pretty fantastic and I love the big screen for movies and sports.