Does proper framerate cap leave nvidia reflex in the dust?

Evie Struggles With Life

I've watched various tests by youtubers understanding the topic and it seems that if you have an fps cap that doesn't make gpu use up all it's recourses/the game has a built in fps cap that doesn't use up all the gpu resources it leads to input delay comparable to OR better than reflex.

I'm planning on upgrading my gpu this year and since I mainly play competitive games it may be a deciding factor.

Here are some of the tests:

image.png.d1d0bcdc9bc931531cf429c385748d41.png

This one isn't about reflex but just another test that proves the point

image.png.a0be69591daccbc4c8ec085ac25c40ff.png

17.7-19 ms difference is hard to care about since even measuring that accurately is hard, let alone running identical benchmark conditions.

But yeah, framerate cap has been known to reduce latency for a while now, that's kind of what reflex does by letting the CPU know much of the GPU it can still use so you get the benefit of maximum frames, but still reduced latency.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

17.7-19 ms difference is hard to care about since even measuring that accurately is hard, let alone running identical benchmark conditions.

But yeah, framerate cap has been known to reduce latency for a while now, that's kind of what reflex does by letting the CPU know much of the GPU it can still use so you get the benefit of maximum frames, but still reduced latency.

So.. For competitive gaming, which one would be better - amd or nvidia? Amd has better value but nvidia has technologies that it keeps to itself which is why I like the more consumer friendly approach amd has

16 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

So.. For competitive gaming, which one would be better - amd or nvidia? Amd has better value but nvidia has technologies that it keeps to itself which is why I like the more consumer friendly approach amd has

AMD has anti-lag, Nvidia has Reflex. They do the same thing, it just depends on what the game supports. 

Essentially if you run the game at 200-400 fps then the input lag reduction doesn't do much anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 hour ago, ZetZet said:

AMD has anti-lag, Nvidia has Reflex. They do the same thing, it just depends on what the game supports. 

Essentially if you run the game at 200-400 fps then the input lag reduction doesn't do much anyway.

Well my monitor is 60hz and since I prefer my games to look nice so 120 fps cap with about 30-20% of gpu power to spare should offer minimal latency, shouldn't it? Besides I doubt 6600 can push these frames without sacrificing the visuals. Also Reflex is different from Anti-lag, AL is more like NULL from nvidia control panel and doesn't offer that much latency reduction.

2 hours ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

Well my monitor is 60hz and since I prefer my games to look nice so 120 fps cap with about 30-20% of gpu power to spare should offer minimal latency, shouldn't it? Besides I doubt 6600 can push these frames without sacrificing the visuals. Also Reflex is different from Anti-lag, AL is more like NULL from nvidia control panel and doesn't offer that much latency reduction.

If you have a 60Hz monitor I wouldn't worry about input lag at all, that monitor will most likely absolutely demolish any gain/loss elsewhere. 60Hz monitors are usually extremely bad when it comes to input lag, since that is never the focus in their development. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZetZet said:

If you have a 60Hz monitor I wouldn't worry about input lag at all, that monitor will most likely absolutely demolish any gain/loss elsewhere. 60Hz monitors are usually extremely bad when it comes to input lag, since that is never the focus in their development. 

I'm planning on upgrading in the future. I like to plan ahead, yknow

9 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

I'm planning on upgrading in the future. I like to plan ahead, yknow

Well then as a budget gamer going for AMD is a no brainer, because it's cheaper and Freesync monitors are more plentiful/cheaper. Not that you would use Freesync for all games, but having that option is very nice. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

Well then as a budget gamer going for AMD is a no brainer, because it's cheaper and Freesync monitors are more plentiful/cheaper. Not that you would use Freesync for all games, but having that option is very nice. 

Amd just seem like a better company. Far more consumer friendly