My PC suddenly shut down and the it won't turn on anymore. Will it also bring the other components with it to the grave?

Newblesse Obblige

I was playing and it suddenly shut down and it won't turn on again. Did it also killed the rest of my PC components? I can't test most of it since I don't have another PC that uses the same chipset  and only low profile graphics cards could be fit in those. 

Does the system receive power?

Does it light up, beep or have the debug LED on?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

31 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Does the system receive power?

Does it light up, beep or have the debug LED on?

No and No. 

Just now, --SID-- said:

What are the full system specs includes brand and model of the PSU?

GTX 1050 Ti

i5 6400

16 GB RAM Ripjaws V

Corsair CV450

Asus H110M-K

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

500GB WD Blue HDD

Some cheap PC case

Take out the HDD, SSD, graphics card and one of the RAMs. See if it boots

Most likely, the PSU or motherboard went to jack, but the otehr components are fine.

If you are an electronics nerd and have a multimeter, you can see if the PSU gives the correct power on the ATX pins.

Just now, Newblesse Obblige said:

No and No. 

The PSU or the motherboard are the most likely components to cause such symptoms.

Try assembling the computer outside the case then try to power it on.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

The PSU or the motherboard are the most likely components to cause such symptoms.

Try assembling the computer outside the case then try to power it on.

that is a bit risky, mounted tests should be enough.

32 minutes ago, sharkaroid said:

Take out the HDD, SSD, graphics card and one of the RAMs. See if it boots

Most likely, the PSU or motherboard went to jack, but the otehr components are fine.

If you are an electronics nerd and have a multimeter, you can see if the PSU gives the correct power on the ATX pins.

I did the paperclip test on the PSU and the fan did not spin. Does that mean the PSU is dead? I don't have any extra PSU to test the motherboard tho

It really depends. Case-by-case basis, mainly what failed. It's probably not that common, but I've seen a PSU fail and nuke the entire system. So you would really need to individually test the components.

1 minute ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I did the paperclip test on the PSU and the fan did not spin. Does that mean the PSU is dead? I don't have any extra PSU to test the motherboard tho

As I said, the only way to know is, as others have said, a multimeter test of output voltage, and testing individual components (usually requires swapping components in another setup).

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

35 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

It really depends. Case-by-case basis, mainly what failed. It's probably not that common, but I've seen a PSU fail and nuke the entire system. So you would really need to individually test the components.

As I said, the only way to know is, as others have said, a multimeter test of output voltage, and testing individual components (usually requires swapping components in another setup).

Like I said, I can't test most of it since I don't have a the equipment to do so and I don't have another PC that uses the same chipset and only low profile graphics cards could be fit in those PCs as they have Slim form factor(SFF?). I guess I'm really have go to a PC technician.

34 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Like I said, I can't test most of it since I don't have a the equipment to do so... I guess I'm really have go to a PC technician.

In this day and age not having a multimeter is surprising. I even have my mother's one that she bought 60 years ago. They cost under $10 these days.

I could give you a link to a website to show what to look for in the PSU but the Moderators won't allow it because it has more useful information than their website. I suspect a capacitor or two are faulty. However as you probably don't have a soldering iron or know how to use one it doesn't really matter.

It would seen you will have to take the entire system to a PC technician.  Yes, I can do it on Monday but you probably don't want to travel half way round the world.

Yeah get a multimeter or buy some cheapo PSU and mobo at Amazon, if it still doesn't work you can send them back...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

In this day and age not having a multimeter is surprising. I even have my mother's one that she bought 60 years ago. They cost under $10 these days.

I could give you a link to a website to show what to look for in the PSU but the Moderators won't allow it because it has more useful information than their website. I suspect a capacitor or two are faulty. However as you probably don't have a soldering iron or know how to use one it doesn't really matter.

It would seen you will have to take the entire system to a PC technician.  Yes, I can do it on Monday but you probably don't want to travel half way round the world.

I think know the problem now but Ill make another thread since it isn't really related to the PSU anymore as the PSU and the motherboard is working. The GPU seems the one that makes it not boot at all

7 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I think know the problem now but Ill make another thread since it isn't really related to the PSU anymore as the PSU and the motherboard is working. The GPU seems the one that makes it not boot at all

PSU failed the paper clip test but you think it's the GPU? - Very unlikely.

Try powering the system with a different power supply and using the iGPU - There is no need to connect the graphics card.