ISPs Australia

Hi.

who is the best ISP for NSW Australia?

who gives the best coverage and speeds with the best reliability?

i am curious to see what people think. as telstra is highly regarded. yet the amount of down time i experience and the poor customer service lead me to think that there must be better ISPs in Australia.

guys. its OK. according to the guy in telstra support. im supposed to get 10MB in my area.

because thats exactly the same as 10 Mb.

i really dislike uneducated support staff.

I have nothing good to say about Telstra, I'm in the process of completely switching over to internode atm. Much better value for money. As for other good providers I would be happy with anyone but Telstra or Optus.

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

Australia is quite big so it does vary a lot, most areas have access to ADSL services and speeds tend to vary from 20Mbps Down to 2 Mbps depending on where the telephone exchange is. At the moment the Australian Labor Government is rolling out the "NBN" or National Broadband Network which involves covering 93% of Australia's population with Fibre optic broadband to the Home, the remaining parts of the country are covered by high speed wireless and satellite technologies. At the moment you can get 100Mbps Down 40Mbps Up Plans with the NBN Fibre to the Home, from December NBN areas will have access to 1Gbps Down 400 Megabits Up.

My Internet Speed
2675468682.png

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

What kind of speeds do you guys get over there? Im in Belgium and my actual speed is around 40mbps down and 4mbps up

2697403267.png

This shit

the fact that its faster than 70% of AU is sad.

Australia is quite big so it does vary a lot, most areas have access to ADSL services and speeds tend to vary from 20Mbps Down to 2 Mbps depending on where the telephone exchange is. At the moment the Australian Labor Government is rolling out the "NBN" or National Broadband Network which involves covering 93% of Australia's population with Fibre optic broadband to the Home, the remaining parts of the country are covered by high speed wireless and satellite technologies. At the moment you can get 100Mbps Down 40Mbps Up Plans with the NBN Fibre to the Home, from December NBN areas will have access to 1Gbps Down 400 Megabits Up.

My Internet Speed

2675468682.png

you lucky bastard.

i am in a not so great area.

Australia is quite big so it does vary a lot, most areas have access to ADSL services and speeds tend to vary from 20Mbps Down to 2 Mbps depending on where the telephone exchange is. At the moment the Australian Labor Government is rolling out the "NBN" or National Broadband Network which involves covering 93% of Australia's population with Fibre optic broadband to the Home, the remaining parts of the country are covered by high speed wireless and satellite technologies. At the moment you can get 100Mbps Down 40Mbps Up Plans with the NBN Fibre to the Home, from December NBN areas will have access to 1Gbps Down 400 Megabits Up.

My Internet Speed

2675468682.png

Conduction starts in my area pretty soon. I'm excited!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

2702556927.png

I live just next to Carindale area and according to the nbn layout map we aren't even planned to get fibre within the next 3 years

at off peak times ive seen it go over 14MB/s

http://speedtest.net/result/2630694301.png

i didn't realize you could look at history =]

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I live in Melbourne and luckily have cable, so my speed looks something like this:

2702715841.png

That's on Optus with their premium speed pack. Pretty satisfied with that. My area (Coburg) just got added to the three year rollout plan for the NBN. Unfortunately though, the opposition (Liberal party) will most likely get voted in in September, and they plan to scrap the current NBN plan and move to a FTTN system, where fibre will go to a central node at the end of a street or area and from there rely on ancient copper to go to the home. Obviously my bias crept into that previous statement, and my utter disgust for the Liberal party's plan (actually the entire party) it rather evident. So those on ADSL which is majority in Australia will still only be able to pull an absolute max of 25Mbps which will leave Australia completely behind when stuff like 4K comes out. Yet apparently 25Mbps is still great when compared to 1Gbps. 

If you couldn't tell, I hate Liberal and that idiot Abbott.

I live in Melbourne and luckily have cable, so my speed looks something like this:

2702715841.png

That's on Optus with their premium speed pack. Pretty satisfied with that. My area (Coburg) just got added to the three year rollout plan for the NBN. Unfortunately though, the opposition (Liberal party) will most likely get voted in in September, and they plan to scrap the current NBN plan and move to a FTTN system, where fibre will go to a central node at the end of a street or area and from there rely on ancient copper to go to the home. Obviously my bias crept into that previous statement, and my utter disgust for the Liberal party's plan (actually the entire party) it rather evident. So those on ADSL which is majority in Australia will still only be able to pull an absolute max of 25Mbps which will leave Australia completely behind when stuff like 4K comes out. Yet apparently 25Mbps is still great when compared to 1Gbps. 

yeah. i heard this. and they are going to cop so much shit from that. but somehow i dont think they care at all.

I have Telstra cable, which I have never had any problems with over the years. It is a bit more expensive than ADSL from other providers, but for the speeds and bandwidth is definitely worth it, especially for gaming. 

This is in Melbourne. 

2702776188.png

I have Telstra cable, which I have never had any problems with over the years. It is a bit more expensive than ADSL from other providers, but for the speeds and bandwidth is definitely worth it, especially for gaming. 

This is in Melbourne. 

2702776188.png

i get that speed on adls2 exept my ping is in 20s and upload is only 800kb

2702715841.png

is this really true im going to cry if he gets voted like seriously finally i thought i could live here when i found out in december there will be 1gb plans but im moving to canada if he gets voted seriously that sucks so much.

Internode is good. Depends on you area more than anything else

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

NZ is the same. I wont get fiber till 2016 to 2017, so am thinking of getting vdsl2.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

2697403267.png

This shit

the fact that its faster than 70% of AU is sad.

I'm with TPG and I get around the same speeds...I wish I had fibre already but oh well.

i5 3570k @ 4.1ghz -- Hyper 212 Evo -- NVIDIA GTX670 -- 8gb RAM -- 128gb Samsung 830 -- 256gb Samsung 830 -- 2TB Seagate 7200rpm -- Phantom 410 -- Leopold TKL Brown Switches -- Logitech G600

I highly recommend iiNet.

I too have nothing good to say about Telstra.

Standard speed here in Lake Macquarie, NSW
2706922781.png
I pay $130 a month for ADSL 2+ that I have never seen go over this speed. Never go Telstra BigPond...
(For some reason Speedtest thought I was in SA)

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC GHz Edition | Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

I've heard good things about iinet and internode here in australia. telstra works, but is expensive

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Brisbane and regardless of where you live at the moment, residential internet connections are still horrible. I have ADSL2+ and live approximately 2km from my exchange. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Brisbane ADSL2+ average. 

2730702037.png

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | MSI Z77A-G43 | MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition 2GB | Corsair Vengence 12GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | 2x SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB | 2x HDD WD Green 2TB | Corsair GS600 PSU

I've tried a few ISPs and would say Westnet(iiNet)/Internode are the top ones. Worst one i have ever been with was TPG and was very close to report them to the TIO

I've tried a few ISPs and would say Westnet(iiNet)/Internode are the top ones. Worst one i have ever been with was TPG and was very close to report them to the TIO

thanks for this insight. i was thinking of trying internode. who knows. all i know is that telstra is giving me the shits and i think that my plan is up on like the 26th of may.

telstra customer service actually hung up on me...

You guys sit there and enjoy your internet speeds because at least you have internet. I've got ADSL 2+ with Telstra and I'm furious - it will just drop out for 5 minutes when it feels like it and this happens up to 3 times a day. 

What annoys me more about Telstra is the fact that to pay the damn bill you have to pay a $2 "Billing Fee" - So they bill you for your bills?

You guys sit there and enjoy your internet speeds because at least you have internet. I've got ADSL 2+ with Telstra and I'm furious - it will just drop out for 5 minutes when it feels like it and this happens up to 3 times a day. 

What annoys me more about Telstra is the fact that to pay the damn bill you have to pay a $2 "Billing Fee" - So they bill you for your bills?

quit complaining >.< ive had that for like 2 years now. and their customer service actually hung up on me when i asked for help with dropouts,