Can bluetooth not be supported by a PC at all?

ChipsDotMp4

I recently picked up a $25 HP ProBook 4540s from a recycling center to upgrade and use for basic media consumption. Naturally, I wanted to put a wifi 6 supporting card in it to replace the ancient card that came with the laptop. I also noticed that there was no bluetooth device in device manager in Windows 10, but figured the laptop must have just not came with any bluetooth as a cost saving measure. I bought an Intel AX210 Card and installed it, installed drivers and the wifi was working as expected, but there was still no bluetooth device in device manager, even after several driver uninstalls/reinstalls, checking services.msc, etc. Is it possible for a laptop motherboard, pcie interface, etc. to just not support bluetooth regardless of hardware?

10 minutes ago, ChipsDotMp4 said:

I recently picked up a $25 HP ProBook 4540s from a recycling center to upgrade and use for basic media consumption. Naturally, I wanted to put a wifi 6 supporting card in it to replace the ancient card that came with the laptop. I also noticed that there was no bluetooth device in device manager in Windows 10, but figured the laptop must have just not came with any bluetooth as a cost saving measure. I bought an Intel AX210 Card and installed it, installed drivers and the wifi was working as expected, but there was still no bluetooth device in device manager, even after several driver uninstalls/reinstalls, checking services.msc, etc. Is it possible for a laptop motherboard, pcie interface, etc. to just not support bluetooth regardless of hardware?

Check the BIOS, Bluetooth might have been disabled there. Most Business/Enterprise laptops will allow you to disable devices more granularly than on consumer stuff (you can disable almost every device like camera, microphone, fingerprint reader, smart card, etc.). I know HP ProBooks and Elitebooks can have Bluetooth disabled in BIOS separately from WiFi, even if it's on the same card because I use them at work and we have Bluetooth disabled. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

32 minutes ago, ChipsDotMp4 said:

Its definitely possible, Bluetooth almost always uses USB on WiFi cards and its not mandatory for all miniPCI/M.2 sockets to support it.

It would be unusual to not do so, but not impossible.

Its also possible of course that the USB port wired into the M.2 slot is broken.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 6:53 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Check the BIOS, Bluetooth might have been disabled there. Most Business/Enterprise laptops will allow you to disable devices more granularly than on consumer stuff (you can disable almost every device like camera, microphone, fingerprint reader, smart card, etc.). I know HP ProBooks and Elitebooks can have Bluetooth disabled in BIOS separately from WiFi, even if it's on the same card because I use them at work and we have Bluetooth disabled. 

I think Alex Atkin may be correct. When I check the place in the BIOS where others have that option, I have no option. There is no mention of bluetooth anywhere in the BIOS.

1 hour ago, ChipsDotMp4 said:

I think Alex Atkin may be correct. When I check the place in the BIOS where others have that option, I have no option. There is no mention of bluetooth anywhere in the BIOS.

Yea with HP BIOSes, if it doesn't detect the device or otherwise can't make sense of it, it won't list it in the BIOS. For instance, if your webcam malfunctions or the cable fails, the integrated camera option would just disappear from the BIOS completely. Came across that several times at work and every single time HP warrantied it with a new camera/cable installed. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea with HP BIOSes, if it doesn't detect the device or otherwise can't make sense of it, it won't list it in the BIOS. For instance, if your webcam malfunctions or the cable fails, the integrated camera option would just disappear from the BIOS completely. Came across that several times at work and every single time HP warrantied it with a new camera/cable installed. 

Hey! Just wanted to update, even though this was posted a while ago- somehow, without any action on my part, I noticed a little bluetooth icon on my taskbar this morning. Lo and behold, the card is now being read completely normally, and I haven’t done a single thing to try and fix it since checking the things you suggested. I guess perhaps Microsoft pushed a driver update or something, I’m pleasantly surprised but also confused as to why none of the things I tried worked.

a little usb bt adapter for 5 bucks should do the trick,  no additional software required,  Microsoft bt drivers are all that's needed 

but i guess it's fixed now anyways,  but yes bt is a built-in windows option,  that can be turned on and off, provided the corresponding hardware is connected/ plugged in.

4 hours ago, ChipsDotMp4 said:

I guess perhaps Microsoft pushed a driver update or something, I’m pleasantly surprised but also confused as to why none of the things I tried worked.

yeah, maybe the driver wasn't installed but typically it should be preinstalled (i think)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity