Need help to improve WiFi sharing

Madiusse

Hi everyone, bit of a noob when it comes to networking.

2 years ago, my family and I finally switched to fiber optic Internet. While it is very fast, issues still exist.

Originally, when we first got it, I was connected to WiFi with a TP-Link USB WiFi adapter. While it "worked", Internet speed was pretty slow compared to what was advertised, because I was far from the modem/WiFi router downstairs (about 60Mbits/s up and down). When the pandemic hit, because I was following studies that were computer-dependant, we decided to install a WiFi repeater in my room, in the upper floor. I plugged my PC to it with an Ethernet cable, and speeds really changed ; nowadays it's around 350Mbits/s, so quite the difference.

Sadly, we realize nowadays that it's not ideal. At the same floor are two other people, one who plays a lot and one who works on a workstation. Both are connected to WiFi, and because my WiFi repeater is the closest, they are connected to it. Unfortunately, their download speeds are pretty mediocre, around 30Mbits/s. I thought it was because I'm "gathering" a lot of bandwidth or something, but then again, I don't know much to it. And when I tried and disconnect my repeaterr to "force" their device to connect to the router itself, Internet speeds are faster but not by much. Nowadays it's risen quite the tensions. So, I'm asking for help.

I guess the ideal setup would be:

• me getting a WiFi repeater or some kind that only allows Ethernet connection, so that I'm still able to get the speeds I have without "hogging" the bandwidth.
  • giving them the repeater I had, and plug it to one of their rooms, with at least the workstation or game console plugged to it via Ethernet, just like I did.

Or maybe they are other solutions, and I'll be happy to read them! Keep in mind I'm the one who knows the most about hardware, but networking still feels really complicated for me. And I can't get my head around it, with words like hotspots, amplifiers, range extenders, DHCP, routers... it's becoming quite the mess.

A few things I want to clear in case you wonder :

• WiFi router/modem is the original one that we got, no NETGEAR routers or anything.
  • I believe our WiFi is WiFi 5, but I'll have to look into it.
  • My internet provider offers some kind of repeater that can switch our WiFi to WiFi 6 if it's directly connected to the router... I don't know if custom ones can do that, and if I get one, is it worth to use it not as a repeater, but directly plugged into the router?
  • I live in France, so things might not be the same compared to the US or else.

Already sorry if things are more confusing than they should, but I'll take any help I have. Don't be shy if you need anything, or if I missed anything.

Thanks a lot!

23 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Madiusse

Can you run an ethernet cable from the ISP device to the location where you need better coverage and speeds?

Sadly no, it's too far... And "not great looking" going upstairs. I don't make the rules. I guess it was to then buy some hotspot?

1 minute ago, Madiusse said:

Sadly no, it's too far... And "not great looking" going upstairs. I don't make the rules. I guess it was to then buy some hotspot?

Placing an access point with an ethernet uplink to the ISP device would provide the greatest stability and consistent speeds, especially if internet connectivity is important for your clients.

Ethernet can be neatly run through any house. It just requires some creative thinking and additional help if you don't want to do the work yourself.

Short of that, you can look into MoCA (if you have existing coaxial runs) or Powerline (if the house's wiring is in decent condition) and connect an AP at the other end. The former will require adapters which can be expensive and the latter is very sensitive to electrical interference.

What you're experiencing with your WiFi repeater is not surprising. They're not that good. You could look into a mesh system which would be a better upgrade if you can't run cables.

14 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Placing an access point with an ethernet uplink to the ISP device would provide the greatest stability and consistent speeds, especially if internet connectivity is important for your clients.

Ethernet can be neatly run through any house. It just requires some creative thinking and additional help if you don't want to do the work yourself.

Short of that, you can look into MoCA (if you have existing coaxial runs) or Powerline (if the house's wiring is in decent condition) and connect an AP at the other end. The former will require adapters which can be expensive and the latter is very sensitive to electrical interference.

What you're experiencing with your WiFi repeater is not surprising. They're not that good. You could look into a mesh system which would be a better upgrade if you can't run cables.

Thanks a lot for all the options you provided. Here is what I figured so far, with everything you said :

• Running an Ethernet cable is sadly out of the equation - even if it seems like an easy fix, I can't convince anyone to do it.
  • Same with an access point, running a long cable from the ISP device is impossible.
  • There aren't any coaxial runs in the house, so MoCA can't also be an option.
  • Mesh systems are way too expensive for us.

Powerline then would be the better choice, when it comes to me, especially because it will only affect my PC. I just don't know how it will affect the bandwidth of others. I don't know about its efficiency, install, or anything, so I'll have to look into it. Then I can just give them my WiFi repeater and "leave them with it".

Is getting an AP (if that does stand for Access Point) mandatory? Can't I just plug my ISP device on one end, and my PC on the other? And if it's not, how much of a difference will it make?

I also made some speedtests around the house because I've heard of disconnecting issues, and while I have an average of around 50Mbits/s with downloads, uploads are really low compared to it, around 10Mbits/s... That's another problem I'll have to look into.

4 minutes ago, Madiusse said:

I also made some speedtests around the house because I've heard of disconnecting issues, and while I have an average of around 50Mbits/s with downloads, uploads are really low compared to it, around 10Mbits/s... That's another problem I'll have to look into.

That's the nature of WiFi.

Unfortunately, a wireless signal from a omnidirectional antenna gets weaker the higher and lower you go from the antenna. Also, intervening sources of wireless attenuation, such as concrete, bricks and metal from walls or floors make it even worse. Finally, there's the issue of other competing wireless signals from your neighbours' WiFi.

Your scenario is compounded by the fact that you're using a WiFi repeater. These devices work at half-duplex speeds (so you'll never get what you're paying for from your ISP) and cannot manage multiple clients without slowing to a crawl.

20 minutes ago, Madiusse said:

Is getting an AP (if that does stand for Access Point) mandatory?

No. But it's the ideal thing.

20 minutes ago, Madiusse said:

Can't I just plug my ISP device on one end, and my PC on the other?

That depends on what this thing is. What is its make/model? If it's a mesh node, then yes, it could be used in this way.

21 minutes ago, Madiusse said:

And if it's not, how much of a difference will it make?

No way to know unless you test it.

8 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Your scenario is compounded by the fact that you're using a WiFi repeater. These devices work at half-duplex speeds (so you'll never get what you're paying for from your ISP) and cannot manage multiple clients without slowing to a crawl.

Though, I'm surprised by the speeds it provides to my PC plugged by Ethernet to it. I didn't expect the gap between speeds to be this important. I expected to get a more constant internet, but not necessarily a faster one.

10 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

No. But it's the ideal thing.

I'll keep that in mind, if I get the chance to buy one for cheap later.

11 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

What is its make/model? If it's a mesh node, then yes, it could be used in this way.

If you're talking about the Modem the ISP provided us, it's called a Livebox 5. Though it's France/Europe specific so I don't know if you'll be able to get much info on that. I also don't know if it's a "mesh node" - I didn't find anything mentioning it, and don't know what they would translate it to. If I got that correctly, that is.

14 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

No way to know unless you test it.

I feel like I should expect the same speeds I have right now, so about 350Mbits/s. But yeah, I'll have a look nearby, see if I can have one, test it and share the results.

13 minutes ago, Madiusse said:

I feel like I should expect the same speeds I have right now, so about 350Mbits/s. But yeah, I'll have a look nearby, see if I can have one, test it and share the results.

WiFi or Powerline you shouldn't expect anything, think of them as both hacks to push ethernet via a medium that is extremely variable, subject to interference from various sources.

MoCA is better because COAX cabling is much more consistent, you're not competing with the environment or other signals/interference (at least not to the same extent as WiFi or Powerline), its strictly using frequencies not used by the cable service.

The only method you should expect a given result is actual wired ethernet as its designed specific for JUST this purpose.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

31 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

WiFi or Powerline you shouldn't expect anything, think of them as both hacks to push ethernet via a medium that is extremely variable, subject to interference from various sources.

Yeah, made a goof. I meant to say that I hope to find a solution that could give me at least the same speeds. I don't see how an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of a repeater can be much worse than a Powerline connection. But I feel like I'm way too optimistic.

35 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

MoCA is better because COAX cabling is much more consistent, you're not competing with the environment or other signals/interference (at least not to the same extent as WiFi or Powerline), its strictly using frequencies not used by the cable service.

It sounds like one, from everything that I read about it aswell. But, no coaxial runs anywere.

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The only method you should expect a given result is actual wired ethernet as its designed specific for JUST this purpose.

That I know, and it would already be the fix if I was the only one inside the house.