Powerline Ethernet and power outage

cyberjunaid
Go to solution Solved by LapsedMemory,
On 9/9/2022 at 11:36 PM, cyberjunaid said:

Thanks for letting me know guys. I have another question that is related to this.

Is there such a switch that can allow to ethernet inputs( one from powerline & one from a air bridge router). I want one input to always be preferred but to switch as soon as one fails (i.e. power outage for powerline as router would have UPS)

Sound like what your asking for is Link Aggregation (LAG).  Any modern managed switch should be able to do it.  I've got a set of these running which are cheap, work well and have the feature: 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00K4DS5KU

I don't know how successful this will be with competing conversions in the line, but for best results, I would buy 2, and put 1 at each end of the air-bridge/powerline run.  

image.png.52677b253dec20c50afb64d620d1bd10.png

I have a weird question, can powerline still work as in still transmit signal from a router thats connected to a UPS? Please note the powerline itself is not, therefore when there is a power outage, the router will still work so it will still transmit a signal to the powerline.

No, powerline adapters 1, use a/c power, and 2 send the signal over the a/c wave

unless you're running both adapters on the same ups, in which id say just plug in an Ethernet 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

No. Powerline won't work with a UPS because the UPS will filter that power. Additionally, the adapters draw on wall power to run. I am not aware of any powerline adapters that will allow external power source. It's a niche use case and even if it *does* exist, it's unlikely to be inexpensive. Better to either run ethernet or get some *nice* routers that can act as an air bridge

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I am actually considering using an air bridge but I was wondering if I can have a powerline as backup.

1 hour ago, cyberjunaid said:

I am actually considering using an air bridge but I was wondering if I can have a powerline as backup.

If you plug them straight into an unfiltered electrical outlet that is on the same circuit as the other Powerline device, it should work fine.

Otherwise, listen to what the manufacturers say:

Netgear

Can I plug my powerline adapter into a power strip, surge protector, Uninterruptible Power upplies (UPS) or extension cord?

No. NETGEAR does not recommend using power strips, surge protectors, UPS and extension cords with Powerline products.  These devices filter out some or all of the high frequency signals used in Powerline communications. Connecting a Powerline to one of these devices can greatly reduce the data rate of transfers, or block communications entirely.

TP-Link

Q3.6: Can Powerline adapters work if they are separated by UPS?

A: No. Usually, UPS  has a filter function. It can cut the powerline connection. Some air-switches or breakers also have the same function. Besides, some power outlets have a surge protector function which can also cut the powerline connection. You’d better not plug powerline adapters into outlets.

Pretty much a no go unless you have a whole house UPS like a Tesla Powerwall.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks for letting me know guys. I have another question that is related to this.

Is there such a switch that can allow to ethernet inputs( one from powerline & one from a air bridge router). I want one input to always be preferred but to switch as soon as one fails (i.e. power outage for powerline as router would have UPS)

On 9/9/2022 at 11:36 PM, cyberjunaid said:

Sound like what your asking for is Link Aggregation (LAG).  Any modern managed switch should be able to do it.  I've got a set of these running which are cheap, work well and have the feature: 

I don't know how successful this will be with competing conversions in the line, but for best results, I would buy 2, and put 1 at each end of the air-bridge/powerline run.  

image.png.52677b253dec20c50afb64d620d1bd10.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

3 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

Are you sure?

Sounds like the OP is asking about a WAN failover solution, which would be better managed by a dual/multi- WAN router or similar device.

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Are you sure?

Sounds like the OP is asking about a WAN failover solution, which would be better managed by a dual/multi- WAN router or similar device.

Not positive but my assumption of based on the idea they want a connection with a power line adapter and WiFi bridge.  To do that you have to already have a WAN connection set up on the other side of it.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T