Mounting Docking Station on Monitor using adhesive magnets

NinthTurtle1034

Hi, I'm trying to come up with a way I can mount my two Dell docking stations (WD19S & D6000) to the back of my monitors to clear up space on my desk and shorten the cables I need. I saw Dell sells a docking station mount which screws into the vesa mount on the monitor however this does not appear to be compatible with either of my docks. I then had the idea of using velcro or magnets, I'd prefer not to tarnish the back of my monitor by sticking a adhesive velcro strip to the monitor itself so I'm looking at getting either Dells dock mount or a third party one and sticking magnets or velcro to the mount and dock. I'm just not sure if magnets being that close to the monitor will have any adverse effect but I doubt it will. I was thinking about getting these magnetic strips or these magnetic dots which I hope will be strong enough to hold the docks

Magnets are cool, but I try to keep them away from electronics when I can. I use 3M command strips for just about everything. From hanging pictures to mounting hubs under laptop trays. They're sturdy, but don ruin finishes when you are ready to take them off

2 hours ago, mike_seps said:

Magnets are cool, but I try to keep them away from electronics when I can. I use 3M command strips for just about everything. From hanging pictures to mounting hubs under laptop trays. They're sturdy, but don ruin finishes when you are ready to take them off

Yeah i was looking for something that wouldn't be a total pain to remove months/years down the line. Guess velcro would be a good solution.

19 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Yeah i was looking for something that wouldn't be a total pain to remove months/years down the line. Guess velcro would be a good solution.

That's why I was saying command strips. They're designed to come off without leaving residue or damaging surfaces

28 minutes ago, mike_seps said:

That's why I was saying command strips. They're designed to come off without leaving residue or damaging surfaces

How much weight do you think those command strips could hold? My docks are pretty heavy things

15 hours ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

How much weight do you think those command strips could hold? My docks are pretty heavy things

The large ones are rated at 16 lbs. I have them hanging some pretty heavy artwork at the house, and they have also held up my Dell dock at work (which I just realized is very similar to yours - WD19DCS)

What's stopping you from just getting a standard VESA plate for the back of the monitor, and rigging your own bolt-on solution for the mount in order to make it work?

On 9/9/2022 at 4:12 PM, IPD said:

What's stopping you from just getting a standard VESA plate for the back of the monitor, and rigging your own bolt-on solution for the mount in order to make it work?

I already have my monitors on a VESA mount so I would need something that pushes the dock to one side so as to not conflict with the hinge on the mount. I think it would be better to make my own plate at the size I need with the screw holes in the positions I need and that way I could make it magnetic or smooth for Velcro but alas I don't have the machinery to do that nor to I live near somewhere that could do that (for a reasonable price anyway).

It's probably easier than you think.  You just need a piece of sheet metal, a pencil/marker, a sheet of paper, and a drill + bits.

When I replaced the 4.5" speakers in my car with 6.75" speakers--the process was pretty similar.  Paper trace will give you a pretty good idea of where everything is, marker is handy for transferring that point onto the sheet metal, and all you have to do is drill out the mount holes you need.