Jeff Geerling Ratcheting screwdriver review with LTT screwdriver

PeachyUwUSenpai

project farms tested it too, got some pretty good scores there. I'll have to watching this one after work

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Super nit-picky but the bit change timer doesn't include putting away the old bit for the PB Swiss, but does for all the others.

Overall good video. Covers some new topics that Project Farm didn't touch. Some subjective topics like comfort in the hand, how it feels when screwing in motherboard screws or screwing into wood.

It is a bit weird to see the Gamers Nexus screwdriver set included, it's a totally different tool.

5 minutes ago, Harvey-Specter said:

It is a bit weird to see the Gamers Nexus screwdriver set included, it's a totally different tool.

I do think it's kind of nice as someone who doesn't really have experience with ratcheting screwdrivers, as he mentions early on they are to be used as a stand in for a standard normal screwdriver, which is nice to know.

I think overall with the reiew I'll try to get the LTT screwdriver in the giveaway but otherwise might just grab it and maybe one of the bit sets that is needed for building your own PC or working on Nintendo consoles.

47 minutes ago, Harvey-Specter said:

Super nit-picky but the bit change timer doesn't include putting away the old bit for the PB Swiss, but does for all the others.

Overall good video. Covers some new topics that Project Farm didn't touch. Some subjective topics like comfort in the hand, how it feels when screwing in motherboard screws or screwing into wood.

yeah but id argue the pb swiss is to and people keep including it.

43 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

yeah but id argue the pb swiss is to and people keep including it.

Eh, I have to disagree. The only difference is that the PB Swiss doesn't have internal bit storage. Personally I don't think that's a big enough difference to put it in a different category.

3 minutes ago, Harvey-Specter said:

Eh, I have to disagree. The only difference is that the PB Swiss doesn't have internal bit storage. Personally I don't think that's a big enough difference to put it in a different category.

It means they have a lot more room and don't have to spend the money on more complicated molds and less mechanism to worry about. plus its a entire product category wera has also has non internal bitstorage ratchets and they weren't tested. not to mention pb swiss does have one with internal bits that no one has tested at least that ive seen

16 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

It means they have a lot more room and don't have to spend the money on more complicated molds and less mechanism to worry about. plus its a entire product category wera has also has non internal bitstorage ratchets and they weren't tested. not to mention pb swiss does have one with internal bits that no one has tested at least that ive seen

I care about the ratcheting mechanism, bit/screw retention while working, and the price to consumer. I only care about how much money the manufacturer spent on molds to the extent that it increases the price to consumer. Bit storage is the least exciting and least interesting part of a ratcheting screw driver, imo.

I can't find a version of the Wera without internal storage, but here's a video comparing the PB Swiss 8510r-100 and the 6510r-100. The guy just does a surface level comparison of how they look/feel, but looks like the exact same ratchet mechanism, and just different handle materials. I doubt there would have been any difference in Jeff Geerling's tests, or Project Farm's tests.

6 minutes ago, Harvey-Specter said:

I care about the ratcheting mechanism, bit/screw retention while working, and the price to consumer. I only care about how much money the manufacturer spent on molds to the extent that it increases the price to consumer. Bit storage is the least exciting and least interesting part of a ratcheting screw driver, imo.

I can't find a version of the Wera without internal storage, but here's a video comparing the PB Swiss 8510r-100 and the 6510r-100. The guy just does a surface level comparison of how they look/feel, but looks like the exact same ratchet mechanism, and just different handle materials. I doubt there would have been any difference in Jeff Geerling's tests, or Project Farm's tests.

i was bringing up price because part of building a item is dedicating budgets to certain features or parts by not having bit storage more of there budget and rnd time can go towards the ratchet.

Wera has several of them withhought bit storage this is one of them.
https://products.wera.de/en/kraftform_kompakt_kraftform_kompakt_with_ratchet_function_fine_tooth_system_for_precision_work_816_ra.html

also they had to remove a significant portion of the handle to fit the bit storage pretty sure it would've snapped during one of project farms test or broken during the bowling ball test jeff did 

1 hour ago, Alaradia said:

i was bringing up price because part of building a item is dedicating budgets to certain features or parts by not having bit storage more of there budget and rnd time can go towards the ratchet.

Wera has several of them withhought bit storage this is one of them.
https://products.wera.de/en/kraftform_kompakt_kraftform_kompakt_with_ratchet_function_fine_tooth_system_for_precision_work_816_ra.html

also they had to remove a significant portion of the handle to fit the bit storage pretty sure it would've snapped during one of project farms test or broken during the bowling ball test jeff did 

Yeah, I understand why you brought up the cost of molds, and I explained why I don't care about that. I don't think anyone should care about how much money was spent on R&D, they should care about the actual performance and features of the tool. If one of the features you care about is internal bit storage, don't buy a tool without internal bit storage.

About your claim that the handle "would've snapped during one of project farm's tests" or "broken during the bowling ball test jeff did"... No. That's actually an absurd claim. The only one that broke in Jeff's bowling ball test was the cheapest tool. All of the others survived. In Project Farm's destruction test the PB Swiss ratchet mechanism started spinning out inside the handle. That means the press fit of the ratchet into the handle failed. That's not going to change if it has a different part of the handle hollowed out for bit storage.

4 hours ago, Harvey-Specter said:

Heh, that was my mistake—for all the tests (which I was doing live, and I had a 2 hour shooting window while the kids were outside) I started with the PB Swiss and I forgot to include sticking the bit back in the holder.

Also, regarding the 6510 with integrated bit storage, it does look like it's the same ratchet and blade, so the main thing that could be different is the feel of the handle when torquing it. They have kind of a weird bit holder in that driver. If I do a follow-up after using the LTT driver for a while, I might try to get my hands on the Megapro automotive, the 6510, and maybe another driver or two that seem to be mentioned frequently.

16 minutes ago, geerlingguy said:

Heh, that was my mistake—for all the tests (which I was doing live, and I had a 2 hour shooting window while the kids were outside) I started with the PB Swiss and I forgot to include sticking the bit back in the holder.

I figured it was something like that. Like I said, extremely nit-picky and it had zero impact on the video, which was great overall. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the tools, thanks!

Also, the creator edition looks sweet. I love the white accents.

1 hour ago, Harvey-Specter said:

Yeah, I understand why you brought up the cost of molds, and I explained why I don't care about that. I don't think anyone should care about how much money was spent on R&D, they should care about the actual performance and features of the tool. If one of the features you care about is internal bit storage, don't buy a tool without internal bit storage.

About your claim that the handle "would've snapped during one of project farm's tests" or "broken during the bowling ball test jeff did"... No. That's actually an absurd claim. The only one that broke in Jeff's bowling ball test was the cheapest tool. All of the others survived. In Project Farm's destruction test the PB Swiss ratchet mechanism started spinning out inside the handle. That means the press fit of the ratchet into the handle failed. That's not going to change if it has a different part of the handle hollowed out for bit storage.

i'm not sure if you saw what that bit holder looked like but it compromises the walls of the driver so it has alot less strength. and my point about money was about rnd rnd costs money and splitting your rnd across more features means less focus on one. 
My point is a portable ratcheting screwdriver aka one with internal bit storage is a different product class then a ratcheting screwdriver withought one and wasn't compared against ones in its actually class. especially since the product does exist

5 hours ago, Alaradia said:

i'm not sure if you saw what that bit holder looked like but it compromises the walls of the driver so it has alot less strength. and my point about money was about rnd rnd costs money and splitting your rnd across more features means less focus on one. 
My point is a portable ratcheting screwdriver aka one with internal bit storage is a different product class then a ratcheting screwdriver withought one and wasn't compared against ones in its actually class. especially since the product does exist

Yeah I don’t know how many times I can explain why I disagree with you, so I’ll just refer you to me previous comments.