Do I really need more fan?

TukangUsapEmenq
Go to solution Solved by TukangUsapEmenq,

A little update for this thread.

1. Removed those solid PCI slots, replaced those with the one with enough holes for at least improve the heat exhaust.
  2. I actually moved the filter away from the fans as to let the PC got more airflow. It doesn't do much to temps as the fans indeed sucks to give the airflow either though, but it's 1 degree improvement for the CPU I think.
  3. Two 80 mm fans in front of the case, just below the 120 mm fans. The airflow's good enough now for the GPU intake. And one 80 mm fan exhausting on the last image I circled. Funny thing, I previously put it just below the GPU (below the circle) and it just simply exhausting the cold air again lol, so I moved it to the top of the GPU (as hot air moves to the topside of it's room right?) and it's decently exhausting the heat now. I can't even hear any of the fans spinning at all (except for the GPU fan when it's reaching too high of the temp, as like 80 and above, but in those 2 days I game RDR2 in decently long session, it actually never happened for even once). I even tested Furmark only for few minutes, with GPU fan at 100%, maximum temps perhaps on 75-76-ish, but it never reach that number while I game (max on 70 I guess and the GPU fans barely spinning anyway).

Spoiler

306381982_WhatsAppImage2022-09-14at12_40_45AM.thumb.jpeg.aa8d99f3c72e95288d09bc76f0606c75.jpeg

904432453_WhatsAppImage2022-09-14at12_40_44AM.thumb.jpeg.f96ff810c94574c42f7beeecb6879dab.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ddc28df2bf8d06ad1cfb064303aee941.jpeg

Welp, problem solved then. Thanks for you guys to at least giving me those points and how'd it can be solved.

I recently got a new (secondhand) GPU and this is my current cooling setup on my setup, plus few places for where I can put fans on. Fyi, this is an old ATX case that my pops bought on 2005, so my the PSU indeed sucks some warm air, unfortunately. Specs as on my signature.

image.png.09d935a6f72e67530db5cb2310b1a8a3.png

Yesterday I did game a little on it, and it performs as expected (and I already expected the CPU bottleneck that runs 100% near all the time and the fact the GPU will never touch 100% usage either). Both CPU and GPU are still on really good temps (I changed the GPU thermal paste yesterday) that I actually never seen it on 60 or above.

Welp, problem is, I played just for 30 mins to an hour (so I don't know yet how's the equilibrium at), and my existing 12 cm fan aren't exactly a good airflow performer (some quiet and slow random fans with blue LED, like so

https://www.tokopedia.com/kutualay/fan-zalman-12cm-transparan-led-blue-120mm-kipas-casing-komputer-cpu-pc-3-pin-mobo-tanpa-baut

), and I'm using magnetic dust filter just to reduce the gap between that-I-have-to-clean the PC, and by the positioning of the 12 cm fans I could say the GPU would've some hard time to get fresh air either. The 8 cm fan behind as the exhaust is Deepcool XFAN 80, which surprisingly got a good airflow and being quiet af on my standard.

I planned to get 2x 8 cm fans for the below, both with intake filters either, same fans as my exhaust. Perhaps the top fan either but I really don't see the usefulness of the top fan rather than to disturb the airflow tbh. And yet, should I change my 12 cm fans for better ones? I prefer the one with LED for the 12 cm front fans as I use the LEDs for my acrylic lightning, yet not being that fancy and expensive.

Also FYI, I actually have 4-pin splitter that's connected to my motherboard for my 12 cm fans. PWM doesn't work on my current fan though.

Thanks in advance.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

41 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

I recently got a new (secondhand) GPU and this is my current cooling setup on my setup, plus few places for where I can put fans on. Fyi, this is an old ATX case that my pops bought on 2005, so my the PSU indeed sucks some warm air, unfortunately. Specs as on my signature.

image.png.09d935a6f72e67530db5cb2310b1a8a3.png

Yesterday I did game a little on it, and it performs as expected (and I already expected the CPU bottleneck that runs 100% near all the time and the fact the GPU will never touch 100% usage either). Both CPU and GPU are still on really good temps (I changed the GPU thermal paste yesterday) that I actually never seen it on 60 or above.

Welp, problem is, I played just for 30 mins to an hour (so I don't know yet how's the equilibrium at), and my existing 12 cm fan aren't exactly a good airflow performer (some quiet and slow random fans with blue LED, like so

https://www.tokopedia.com/kutualay/fan-zalman-12cm-transparan-led-blue-120mm-kipas-casing-komputer-cpu-pc-3-pin-mobo-tanpa-baut

), and I'm using magnetic dust filter just to reduce the gap between that-I-have-to-clean the PC, and by the positioning of the 12 cm fans I could say the GPU would've some hard time to get fresh air either. The 8 cm fan behind as the exhaust is Deepcool XFAN 80, which surprisingly got a good airflow and being quiet af on my standard.

I planned to get 2x 8 cm fans for the below, both with intake filters either, same fans as my exhaust. Perhaps the top fan either but I really don't see the usefulness of the top fan rather than to disturb the airflow tbh. And yet, should I change my 12 cm fans for better ones? I prefer the one with LED for the 12 cm front fans as I use the LEDs for my acrylic lightning, yet not being that fancy and expensive.

Also FYI, I actually have 4-pin splitter that's connected to my motherboard for my 12 cm fans. PWM doesn't work on my current fan though.

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion :
Unless there really isn't enough clearance for a 12cm fans on the bottom, ditch the 80mm and use 12cm.

If there is clearance but no mounting hole, maybe a good idea to DIY some sort of mounting.
Your GPU air supply comes mainly from the bottom fan.

So, preferably, use a fan with good pressure to ensure the air actually reach the area below the GPU fans.

Pretty sure a good 12cm fan with enough static pressure will be better than a ionno what 2x 80mm fan, considering you use filter, and most probably a mesh front as well.

Your PSU already acts as a top exhaust, adding another top exhaust between the cooler & the top front fan will just suck the fresh air out immediately.

Considering you already have a pwm hub anyway, change to PWM fans ?.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

The Xeon E3-1225 is a 95W chip that gives off moderate heat. The 1650 has variations that can impact its TDP (some use 6+2 PCIe, some don't, Super, OC, etc.)

While I myself would be more comfortable with three 120s up front and at least two 120s to the top and rear, as long as current temps are okay, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if this card has an OC mode that has not yet been unlocked, or if it simply hasn't been run hard enough to really show its true heat output (I don't expect it would be much),  keep an eye out for that, and if issues crop up on enabling OC, don't use it until upgrading your cooling a bit. Chances are the two front 120s and the single rear 80 will be just fine for this setup, but if you're that concerned, you might upgrade the 80 to a 120 or even a 140 if it will fit and grille space allows it to flow.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, Sjaakie said:

The problem is a bit unclear. Your state the fans are peforming bad, but the temps are good?

If temps are good just keep it as it is.

^^^

Personally if i think my fans are inadequate i just modify them to run 24v and done, diy vroom vroom noisy server fan

Jokes aside yea if there is no issue with temps then just leave it as is, no point trying to fix a problem that dont exist

Also maybe that be quiet u lil sh** psu may be helping with exhaust, so no wonder why that 80mm is keeping up

15 hours ago, Sjaakie said:

The problem is a bit unclear. Your state the fans are peforming bad, but the temps are good?

If temps are good just keep it as it is.

Didn't explicitly performing that bad, but I thought I feel it doesn't feel enough yet as I barely feel any air on it.

Yet surprisingly both temps are good because both CPU and GPU are kind-of bottlenecked (lol), and perhaps I kind-of having an overkill CPU cooler (I never saw my CPU went above 67 at all, even if it's on a stress test) lol

14 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

The Xeon E3-1225 is a 95W chip that gives off moderate heat. The 1650 has variations that can impact its TDP (some use 6+2 PCIe, some don't, Super, OC, etc.)

While I myself would be more comfortable with three 120s up front and at least two 120s to the top and rear, as long as current temps are okay, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if this card has an OC mode that has not yet been unlocked, or if it simply hasn't been run hard enough to really show its true heat output (I don't expect it would be much),  keep an eye out for that, and if issues crop up on enabling OC, don't use it until upgrading your cooling a bit. Chances are the two front 120s and the single rear 80 will be just fine for this setup, but if you're that concerned, you might upgrade the 80 to a 120 or even a 140 if it will fit and grille space allows it to flow.

It's actually a 77W (consider it's on 69W when using only the CPU) chip + my 1650 (no Ti, no Super, only with 6 PCIe power) are actually never being used more than 70% as my CPU bottlenecks it hard.

I won't even OC it as there's no point of OC-ing if the CPU can't handle it anyway, I actually plan to under-clock it as to at least reduce my power usage.

14 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

Personally if i think my fans are inadequate i just modify them to run 24v and done, diy vroom vroom noisy server fan

Jokes aside yea if there is no issue with temps then just leave it as is, no point trying to fix a problem that dont exist

Also maybe that be quiet u lil sh** psu may be helping with exhaust, so no wonder why that 80mm is keeping up

It'd be dead the second it touches 17V though lol

It's more like on the preventive side for the GPU though, I hate to leave my GPU being suffocated while I do long game hours on the PC.

15 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

My suggestion :
Unless there really isn't enough clearance for a 12cm fans on the bottom, ditch the 80mm and use 12cm.

If there is clearance but no mounting hole, maybe a good idea to DIY some sort of mounting.
Your GPU air supply comes mainly from the bottom fan.

So, preferably, use a fan with good pressure to ensure the air actually reach the area below the GPU fans.

Pretty sure a good 12cm fan with enough static pressure will be better than a ionno what 2x 80mm fan, considering you use filter, and most probably a mesh front as well.

Your PSU already acts as a top exhaust, adding another top exhaust between the cooler & the top front fan will just suck the fresh air out immediately.

Considering you already have a pwm hub anyway, change to PWM fans ?.

Those spots are specifically for 8 cm fans, and it's the original mount for the fans. I actually DIY-ed the two 12 cm fan slots above it using an straighten PVC pipe as it's a really ancient office case, previously it's some CD drive slots on there and previously only have those two 8 cm fans lol

I would love to and it's actually my first plan but.... Considering the current fans are actually still quiet enough (and it's not even audible) for me and the fact PWM fans are indeed more expensive, I kind-of scrapped the plan.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Literally all fans tolerate 17v, these things are not as fragile as you think they are, although i would def be concerned with server fan overvolting cause im not sure if my 12cm thicc server fan can handle 17v when at 12v it already consumes 1.3a, though i think i have pushed it to 24v at one point on accident cause i think i meant to run 17v but accidentally plugged + to 12v instead of 5v and thats while holding it, scary af since it literally sounds like a very high pitched server fan that youd find on rack servers so i knew the thing was spinning fast, likely 5k+, it and the psu survived, maybe ill push it to 24v again once i got a proper buck boost converter instead of using the psus miniscule -12v rail

if im overvolting a fan that consumes less than 0.5a then wouldnt be concerned, heck the led fan that came with my chinese 92mm cooler when the power cables snapped off the 3 pin fan header i just run that thing at 24v, now it sounds similar to my proper 92mm server fan but the leds died xD, i think they were dead beforehand anyways

1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Didn't explicitly performing that bad, but I thought I feel it doesn't feel enough yet as I barely feel any air on it.

Yet surprisingly both temps are good because both CPU and GPU are kind-of bottlenecked (lol), and perhaps I kind-of having an overkill CPU cooler (I never saw my CPU went above 67 at all, even if it's on a stress test) lol

It's actually a 77W (consider it's on 69W when using only the CPU) chip + my 1650 (no Ti, no Super, only with 6 PCIe power) are actually never being used more than 70% as my CPU bottlenecks it hard.

I won't even OC it as there's no point of OC-ing if the CPU can't handle it anyway, I actually plan to under-clock it as to at least reduce my power usage.

It's more like on the preventive side for the GPU though, I hate to leave my GPU being suffocated while I do long game hours on the PC.

Those spots are specifically for 8 cm fans, and it's the original mount for the fans. I actually DIY-ed the two 12 cm fan slots above it using an straighten PVC pipe as it's a really ancient office case, previously it's some CD drive slots on there and previously only have those two 8 cm fans lol

I would love to and it's actually my first plan but.... Considering the current fans are actually still quiet enough (and it's not even audible) for me and the fact PWM fans are indeed more expensive, I kind-of scrapped the plan.

most case even if you had no dust filter, no grill, good fans you might get 5c drop MIGHT... and the fans probably will be audible.  things that can make improvements are zip tie fans to gpu, laping/deliding the cpu, removing fan gills / dustfilters, replacing gpu pads, but all of that will cost alot for vary little gain. putting the mb on a test bench would drop the temps the most for the cheapes cost but lots of people dont want a test bench.

other things would be under volting, fan curve but you should be doing that already.

then there would be ducting air too the parts that need cooling instead of just blowing it everywhere

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

improvements are zip tie fans to gpu

You mean deshrouding? Yea that will def help since stock gpu fans tend to suck ass

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

laping/deliding the cpu

He does use ivy but if its at 67c then i dont see why a delid is neccesary here, itll def drop temps but thats only useful if op wanna undervolt, and lapping is completely useless, just run direct die instead

25 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

removing fan gills / dustfilters

Dust filters do impede airflow quite abit, though those metal fan grills dont really do anything other than be idiot proofing

26 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

replacing gpu pads

You sure thatll do much? For gpus with abysmal thermal pads maybe but its a 1650, vram and vrms dont run particularly hot on a lower end card

27 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

but all of that will cost alot for vary little gain

Eh the main cost is time and effort, monetary wise thats like 20$ at most, i can see that being done easily under 10$ (assuming you arent dumb enough to buy overpriced new fans when used 24v server fans are cheap, buy gd900 thermal paste, etc.)

Btw you forgot to include repasting the gpu incase that paste on the gpu core may have dried up, id reccomend gd900 since 30g is ~2-3$ (bought one myself off tokopedia)

33 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

putting the mb on a test bench would drop the temps the most for the cheapes cost but lots of people dont want a test bench.

testbench is only for real men 🙂

yea its pretty inconvenient mess wise but extremely convenient for ppl that swap hardware around like theres no tomorrow like me, all i have to do is unplug all the cables, all the pci/pcie accessories, and the cooler, then shove all that on the next board + cpu + ram combo im testing, takes 2-5 mins on average for me. Not something useful for ppl that arent testing hardware and the mess is very annoying at times

21 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i dont no how to multi quote like you..🤔

You mean deshrouding? Yea that will def help since stock gpu fans tend to suck ass

yes that what its called and vary effective. but may vode the warranty, depending on case might not fit, or might have to do mods to the heat sink to make it work... some gpus are hard to take apart too...

He does use ivy but if its at 67c then i dont see why a delid is neccesary here, itll def drop temps but thats only useful if op wanna undervolt, and lapping is completely useless, just run direct die instead

i was not say they should do it i was just listing it as a option to drop temps well on air and can have a huge drop depending on cpu... but hi risk.

Dust filters do impede airflow quite abit, though those metal fan grills dont really do anything other than be idiot proofing

oh that's how you do it...

ya some dust filters are really bad something like pantyhose is prity good thow and ya the wire grill is the best finger gard with less restricting but there still some compared to no grill. nexed in line is the honeyhomb.

You sure thatll do much? For gpus with abysmal thermal pads maybe but its a 1650, vram and vrms dont run particularly hot on a lower end card

depends on gpu some have bad pads some dont and you have to buy the right ones too i heard others have good temps drop from it.

Eh the main cost is time and effort, monetary wise thats like 20$ at most, i can see that being done easily under 10$ (assuming you arent dumb enough to buy overpriced new fans when used 24v server fans are cheap, buy gd900 thermal paste, etc.)

Btw you forgot to include repasting the gpu incase that paste on the gpu core may have dried up, id reccomend gd900 since 30g is ~2-3$ (bought one myself off tokopedia)

well that just it its not worth spending the time or moeny haha unless you have the money to do so and want it cool and quiet.

testbench is only for real men 🙂

yea its pretty inconvenient mess wise but extremely convenient for ppl that swap hardware around like theres no tomorrow like me, all i have to do is unplug all the cables, all the pci/pcie accessories, and the cooler, then shove all that on the next board + cpu + ram combo im testing, takes 2-5 mins on average for me. Not something useful for ppl that arent testing hardware and the mess is very annoying at times

ya the test bench is atlest 10c cooler then in a case (even with good air flow) with out other fans added too it. cheap quiet and cool... thow if you ass hits a pci sound card walking by and kills it... 😞...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

things that can make improvements are zip tie fans to gpu, laping/deliding the cpu, removing fan gills / dustfilters, replacing gpu pads, but all of that will cost alot for vary little gain

Nope. Way too risky for me who didn't game much lately anyway... Although I could  remove the dust filters, but I'm more into the convenience of not cleaning my PC by that occasionally as my room's dusty af.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

putting the mb on a test bench would drop the temps the most for the cheapes cost but lots of people dont want a test bench.

other things would be under volting, fan curve but you should be doing that already.

then there would be ducting air too the parts that need cooling instead of just blowing it everywhere

No space on my place, and way too risky when spilling things. Plus, I got a cat that sometimes just simply jump without thinking.

58 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I already did yesterday, 40-50 idling and to 34, and 70-80 in few cases max, to 57-60ish I guess max. Didn't change the memory thermal pads as they're still good enough (and won't be necessary either). Noctua's NT-H1 that I have laying around btw, could use my Kyronaut Extreme but I thought it's totally unnecessary.

42 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

yes that what its called and vary effective. but may vode the warranty, depending on case might not fit, or might have to do mods to the heat sink to make it work... some gpus are hard to take apart too...

It actually fits and I can simply tie some fans on it, could easily disassemble it either, but I don't really want to do it as I guess it won't make much of difference anyway lol

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

26 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Nope. Way too risky for me who didn't game much lately anyway... Although I could  remove the dust filters, but I'm more into the convenience of not cleaning my PC by that occasionally as my room's dusty af.

No space on my place, and way too risky when spilling things. Plus, I got a cat that sometimes just simply jump without thinking.

I already did yesterday, 40-50 idling and to 34, and 70-80 in few cases max, to 57-60ish I guess max. Didn't change the memory thermal pads as they're still good enough (and won't be necessary either). Noctua's NT-H1 that I have laying around btw, could use my Kyronaut Extreme but I thought it's totally unnecessary.

It actually fits and I can simply tie some fans on it, could easily disassemble it either, but I don't really want to do it as I guess it won't make much of difference anyway lol

so whats the point then temps are good but not happy with it? dont game so no point? adding loud 80mm fans will just add noise. the case it self can be approved on( dont even no what case)  but im guessing you dont want to do that or mod it...

depending on psu some fans wont turn on in till 55c.  so you just have a signal 80mm fan exhausting...

Edited by thrasher_565

20 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

so whats the point then temps are good but not happy with it? dont game so no point? adding loud 80mm fans will just add noise. the case it self can be approved on( dont even no what case)  but im guessing you dont want to do that or mod it...

depending on psu some fans wont turn on in till 55c.  so you just have a signal 80mm fan exhausting...

It's just I'm afraid that my GPU would've starved for fresh air, that's all. From the hardware side on the CPU/GPU actually there's no problem if I see it (hence I don't wanna do those mods), but for inside the case, I thought it needs more airflow. I would mod it if it's necessary enough, but I agree with you about this one.

22 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

but all of that will cost alot for vary little gain.

And yesterday I just tried game + stream for like long enough hours (beforehand I don't have the time), with my CPU constantly on 100% and GPU maxed on 70-80%-ish I guess.

Welp, CPU never went to 70 yet the GPU went up until 80 degrees max and I have to open the side panel and... Oof, instant heat wave.

Perhaps I'm definitely getting the fans then.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

4 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

It's just I'm afraid that my GPU would've starved for fresh air, that's all. From the hardware side on the CPU/GPU actually there's no problem if I see it (hence I don't wanna do those mods), but for inside the case, I thought it needs more airflow. 

And yesterday I just tried game + stream for like long enough hours (beforehand I don't have the time), with my CPU constantly on 100% and GPU maxed on 70-80%-ish I guess.

Welp, CPU never went to 70 yet the GPU went up until 80 degrees max and I have to open the side panel and... Oof, instant heat wave.

Perhaps I'm definitely getting the fans then.

fans wont do crap... but you do you. the way you have it its just trapping in heat.

Edited by thrasher_565

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

fans wont do crap... but you do you. the way you have it its just trapping in heat.

Good point actually, didn't think about this either if I thought about it more. Perhaps I would do some photo session for better reference later on then.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

4 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Good point actually, didn't think about this either if I thought about it more. Perhaps I would do some photo session for better reference later on then.

well you are in taking 2x 120mm fans and only exhausting 1x 80mm. the psu is exhausting some but no details on it. you need to get rid of the hot air not just add more cool air. taking off the side panel will allow the hot air out. and gpus exhaust there hot air at the side panel. unless you got a blower gpu.

pics would help ALOT...

Edited by thrasher_565

I'm guessing the PSU fan is 120mm.

So with 2 120mm intake and 2 80mm exhaust along with the psu fan it should be close enough to balance out the airflow.

Since u played for 30min and temps are below 60, they are fine, I don't think u need extra fans. If you do end up running out of temps in the future, I think you might need to remove the air filter, they rob ALOT of airflow.

I run a SFF build. temps gets high as soon as the air filter gets a tiny bit dirty. I've gotten lazy and just removed them.

Cleaning out the case once a year beats cleaning the filters every other week.

If u want to swap out the fans for noise or looks, then do that. otherwise there isn't much more performance left on the table.

@thrasher_565@ThousandBlade

Welp, for the amusement for all of us, attached below. FYI, it's a really old random case from 2005 that I had laying around (yet they build nicely than cheap new cases nowadays), hence why the config is like so.

What I plan so far:

- 8 cm / 9.2 cm fan on the side panel as an exhaust. Could've using the 8 cm slot, or I simply mod the case a bit so I can zip tie on the side. Thanks @thrasher_565to actually pointing about that 'trapped heat'.

- Two 8 cm fans in front as intake (and as you can see, not even much clearance for any bigger fan than 8 cm), as I don't even feel any airflow at all on the bottom side of the case.

- Removing all those solid PCI-e slots, changing them with the one with holes (3D printed, or some kind of meshed filter material) to at least improve the exhaust airflow.

- Moving both my HDD and SSD position a little bit on the upper side, as to reduce airflow restriction for the GPU's two 8 cm fans.

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated here.

3 hours ago, ThousandBlade said:

I've gotten lazy and just removed them.

Cleaning out the case once a year beats cleaning the filters every other week.

Welp, let's see on my case later on. I'd do the same if the filter doesn't worth by that much.

welp here it is.pdf

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

i would 1st try remove all the PCI bracket slot covers,

if u can move all the drives to the top 5.25" slot, try that too

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

10 hours ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

@thrasher_565@ThousandBlade

Welp, for the amusement for all of us, attached below. FYI, it's a really old random case from 2005 that I had laying around (yet they build nicely than cheap new cases nowadays), hence why the config is like so.

What I plan so far:

- 8 cm / 9.2 cm fan on the side panel as an exhaust. Could've using the 8 cm slot, or I simply mod the case a bit so I can zip tie on the side. Thanks @thrasher_565to actually pointing about that 'trapped heat'.

- Two 8 cm fans in front as intake (and as you can see, not even much clearance for any bigger fan than 8 cm), as I don't even feel any airflow at all on the bottom side of the case.

- Removing all those solid PCI-e slots, changing them with the one with holes (3D printed, or some kind of meshed filter material) to at least improve the exhaust airflow.

- Moving both my HDD and SSD position a little bit on the upper side, as to reduce airflow restriction for the GPU's two 8 cm fans.

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated here.

Welp, let's see on my case later on. I'd do the same if the filter doesn't worth by that much.

welp here it is.pdf 1007.05 kB · 5 downloads

thx for the detailed pics cant see the back of the caee, top and side panel on. if you dont want to do any cutting then i guess add thoe 80mm fans in front and top and remove thows pci slots. the front with the solid panel with the big air gaps is fine.

if you wanted to mod it i would put taller feet, cut and mout 2x 120mm fans, cut and mount a 120mm fan on top, cut the grill out the back 80m fan maybe even see if a 92mm fan will fit, cut the grill out on the front 80mm fans, and cut a slot for the gpu hot air to exhaust out the side maybe put better mesh over it.

posably do the zip tiy gpu fan mod. that's if i want to keep that case. tools are like drill/ jigsaw or dremel can do it with a nibbler too but it be slow...

A little update for this thread.

1. Removed those solid PCI slots, replaced those with the one with enough holes for at least improve the heat exhaust.
  2. I actually moved the filter away from the fans as to let the PC got more airflow. It doesn't do much to temps as the fans indeed sucks to give the airflow either though, but it's 1 degree improvement for the CPU I think.
  3. Two 80 mm fans in front of the case, just below the 120 mm fans. The airflow's good enough now for the GPU intake. And one 80 mm fan exhausting on the last image I circled. Funny thing, I previously put it just below the GPU (below the circle) and it just simply exhausting the cold air again lol, so I moved it to the top of the GPU (as hot air moves to the topside of it's room right?) and it's decently exhausting the heat now. I can't even hear any of the fans spinning at all (except for the GPU fan when it's reaching too high of the temp, as like 80 and above, but in those 2 days I game RDR2 in decently long session, it actually never happened for even once). I even tested Furmark only for few minutes, with GPU fan at 100%, maximum temps perhaps on 75-76-ish, but it never reach that number while I game (max on 70 I guess and the GPU fans barely spinning anyway).

Spoiler

306381982_WhatsAppImage2022-09-14at12_40_45AM.thumb.jpeg.aa8d99f3c72e95288d09bc76f0606c75.jpeg

904432453_WhatsAppImage2022-09-14at12_40_44AM.thumb.jpeg.f96ff810c94574c42f7beeecb6879dab.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ddc28df2bf8d06ad1cfb064303aee941.jpeg

Welp, problem solved then. Thanks for you guys to at least giving me those points and how'd it can be solved.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio