Upgrade advise AIO Watercooling and general platform

DonDroid

Budget (including currency): ~ 500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming sometimes rendering

Other details: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BVc8xs

So basically i need to work on my cooling solution. My current AIO starts making some weird grinding noises in the last weeks every now and then altough temps are still fine i think it is going to quit on me in the foreseable future.

Im thinking about the be quiet pure loop f2 Fx in either the 240 or 360mm variant. 

Also i am thinking about a custom loop watercooling but i have never done this before and if you start reading about 200 different components and why they are good and bad it feels a little bit overwhelming at first. 

Aside from that i do not know if i probably should just wait for the 7000 series launch and go for the big overhaul at that point. Or maybe just buy a new CPU that can catch up with the 3090 and wait until that is obsolete.

So many Options ^^

In short i do not know if it would be advisable to upgrade to current gen or wait for next gen even though current gen should work fine for 3090 gaming i guess?

Apart from the cooling. That is necessary because it might fail

23 minutes ago, DonDroid said:

Budget (including currency): ~ 500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming sometimes rendering

Other details: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BVc8xs

So basically i need to work on my cooling solution. My current AIO starts making some weird grinding noises in the last weeks every now and then altough temps are still fine i think it is going to quit on me in the foreseable future.

Im thinking about the be quiet pure loop f2 Fx in either the 240 or 360mm variant. 

Also i am thinking about a custom loop watercooling but i have never done this before and if you start reading about 200 different components and why they are good and bad it feels a little bit overwhelming at first. 

Aside from that i do not know if i probably should just wait for the 7000 series launch and go for the big overhaul at that point. Or maybe just buy a new CPU that can catch up with the 3090 and wait until that is obsolete.

So many Options ^^

In short i do not know if it would be advisable to upgrade to current gen or wait for next gen even though current gen should work fine for 3090 gaming i guess?

Apart from the cooling. That is necessary because it might fail

A 2700 is definitely a large bottle neck for a 3090…

But for cooling, just get a decent air cooler. Doesn’t take much to cool a 2700, and spending a lot on an AIO, and especially custom water cooling, only really makes sense when you have expendable money or already have a well built balanced system. You would do a lot better with a budget cooler and CPU upgrade than an awesome cooler and retaining the 2700. 

For reference, the build in my sig cost over 700 to do the custom loop. That only really makes sense if that money isn’t better spent somewhere else. The upside of custom water is you can carry the parts forward for basically ever. The rads, pump, res and fittings can be used in future builds, but it’s still a large up front cost which may be better used on component upgrades. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Get a $60ish aircooler, something like an AK620 and spend your money on a better CPU, like a 5800X3D, total cost around $500 😊

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Tbf the system was never planed for a 3090 but for a 20 series. I think we all know what the problem was there 😄

Anyways i appreciate your Input. Might be a good solution to just get a decent Air Cooler for the time being until i have further decided where to go with the System as a whole because as stated i still think about going to 7000.

And of course benchmarks never show real world performance but according to 3DMark a standard 7 5800x is roughly a 30 percent increase over my actual peformance. with my overclocked 7 2700. Which of course is an increase 😄 

Do you think the AK620 would be able to handle the Heat my CPU produces? Keeping the attached OCCT bench in mind.

Screenshot (42).png

Screenshot (43).png

• 2 months later...

Alright so if anyone stumbles upon this, No the Pure Rock 2 FX was not able to handle my Overclocking. I ended up reducing the settings quite a bit.

I then opened and cleaned my AIO. Which wasn't as simple as i expected it to be, because getting the Air out of the pump case was quite a challenge for my Skillset. 

Anyways i ended up replacing the CPU and the Cooling Solution.