Help with moving tips for a desktop

tinpanalley

Don't know quite where else this could go...

Given the option to have your movers move your desktop (components all removed and individually properly protected) or taking it yourself by finding a way to squeeze it into your car, which of the two would you choose.
If taking it yourself, I imagine the common wisdom would be to also remove all mobo components (GPU, RAM, CPU cooler, PCI cards, etc).

The reason for the concern is that while we do have proper professional movers taking everything else (3 hours away to another city) we do have a car we'll take some stuff in but our car is small. Meaning it will take up the trunk to leave the desktop and a box of its components next to it. Back seat already carrying our two cats.

Thoughts?

Id be comfortable either way. Do take out the gpu and the cpu cooler if it's a decent tower unit. Aio watercoolers are fine to keep on in my opinion. If using AMD and you remove the cooler I'd also ship the cpu seperately.

Just pack it well, lots of bubble wrap / old news papers!

Back up important data either way just in case.

I moved just last week. All I did was remove the GPU, put the pc behind my passenger seat, and then moved the seat back until it wedged the pc between the rear and front seat. Done this several times and never had an issue.  

moving blankets and move it yourself, if having others ship it, you need a lot more packing such as foam. 

Take out GPU (unless tiny), heatsink (if bigger than stock) and HDDs (but I might be overthinking it).

Don’t see why movers would destroy nicely packed pieces.

Edited

My husband and I always move our computers ourselves. Absolutely zero trust in moving companies, and this last time our "professional" movers were very flaky about when our belongings would be delivered. I had the movers take my monitors (thinking our belongings would arrive just after we did) and just took the tower for my setup, and I was left without a desktop for a month. As for packing/protection, we are pretty lazy and just packed them fully assembled into the back of one of our vehicles with a bunch of other stuff to keep them secure. Nothing broke, thankfully.

I've delivered many PCs to friends and family over the years and never had a problem.

My method has typically been to just use old pillows & towels to create a secure cushion that the PC rests on, allowing for the board to face upwards so that the weight of each component is safely dispersed.

If you are traveling a very long distance, I would consider opening the case and filling the empty space with soft materials to prevent scratches or too much movement.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:31 AM, tinpanalley said:

Don't know quite where else this could go...

Given the option to have your movers move your desktop (components all removed and individually properly protected) or taking it yourself by finding a way to squeeze it into your car, which of the two would you choose.
If taking it yourself, I imagine the common wisdom would be to also remove all mobo components (GPU, RAM, CPU cooler, PCI cards, etc).

The reason for the concern is that while we do have proper professional movers taking everything else (3 hours away to another city) we do have a car we'll take some stuff in but our car is small. Meaning it will take up the trunk to leave the desktop and a box of its components next to it. Back seat already carrying our two cats.

Thoughts?

Unless it's really unavoidable, my PC will be moved by me, and me only.
Or at least the most crucial parts of it (GPU, PSU, Storage Drive)

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If you have the original box for the case and other components, use those

Remove the gpu and cpu cooler if possible (an aio should be fine), and shove the case with the rest of the build inside the case box or other properly packed box. Separately pack the gpu an cooler and you should be fine. If you are transporting it yourself, I would not worry at all.