Stupid DLSS Question

Sparky862

Okay, I game at 1080p. I am waiting to use my 3060 TI. Upgrading from GTX 1070.

Now l, this RTX thing is new to me and I did some digging in regards to DLSS. Now based of info, and I might be wrong with this, is that DLSS works BEST with 1440p resolution. Not so great with 1080p and you're better off just not ever enabling DLSS at all because "it doesn't work".

I also saw some videos where DLSS actually have better AA than the game engine AA itself.....Warzone specifically.

My question is this.....

IF I render the game using 1440p resolution within the game settings, activate DLSS, will the result be the same as apposed to having a 1440p Monitor and enabling DLSS?

14 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

IF I render the game using 1440p resolution within the game settings, activate DLSS, will the result be the same as apposed to having a 1440p Monitor and enabling DLSS?

Not quite sure what you're trying to ask here.

You normally select the output resolution of the game, e.g. 1440p to match your 1440p monitor. When you enable DLSS, the internal resolution at which the game renders each image drops to a lower resolution, based on the quality settings. It will then upscale the result to 1440p to match the resolution you've set in game. You do not directly set a resolution for DLSS to render at.

The more pixels there are to work with, the better the result of DLSS, which is why it works better for 1440p then 1080p. If DLSS (at a specific quality setting) renders at 50% of the target resolution, then there are more pixels in 1440p * 0.5 then there are in 1080p * 0.5. That's all there is to it.

To put it another way:

If you set your game to 1440p, the final image that is sent to the monitor is always 1440p, whether you enable DLSS or not.

Without DLSS enabled, the game will render the image at 1440p and that image is sent to the monitor.

With DLSS enabled, the game will render at a lower resolution, use DLSS to upscale the image to 1440p, which is then sent to the monitor.

The idea is that a lower render resolution will give you some additional performance, while DLSS will result in little to now drop in quality. However for lower resolutions there may be more of a quality drop and less of a performance increase, which is why it's normally not recommended/needed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

To use DLSS you have to have a compatible game, run it at the native resolution of your monitor (say 1440p), then tell DLSS to render the game at a lower resolution and use DLSS's AI-trained algorithms to improve it at your desired resolution. You can't, let say, run the game at a non-native resolution then apply DLSS.

On the most well-trained algorithms and ideal conditions, DLSS will indeed do wonders and have great antialiasing.

Using it at 1080p means the games would have to render 720p or lower and try to improve it. This is not ideal because:

1) 720p->1080p is harder to do than 1080p->1440p (around the same increment in pixel count from both, but less pixels to work with at 720p)

2) algorithms are trained for 1080p or higher rendering

3) the RTX 3060Ti is very much capable of rendering most games at 1080p/high framerates without DLSS

[Insert smart comment here]

In addition to the above, using DLSS if you're already using a native 1080p display likely isn't going to be great. Its already a pretty low resolution and with a 3060Ti, you really don't need it.

There is DLDSR however that will allow you to render the game at a higher resolution with little to no performance that you'd get with normal DSR. Would result in a sharper image. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

In addition to the above, using DLSS if you're already using a native 1080p display likely isn't going to be great. Its already a pretty low resolution and with a 3060Ti, you really don't need it.

There is DLDSR however that will allow you to render the game at a higher resolution with little to no performance that you'd get with normal DSR. Would result in a sharper image. 

So DLDSR is adjusted in Nvidia Properties?

6 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

So DLDSR is adjusted in Nvidia Properties?

NVCP, in the DSR settings. The legacy options are for standard DSR but you can use the DL Scaling options. 

image.png.e76c5af55106146b1cf9f02b6d2b98c3.png

On 9/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

NVCP, in the DSR settings. The legacy options are for standard DSR but you can use the DL Scaling options. 

image.png.e76c5af55106146b1cf9f02b6d2b98c3.png

Can I not just use the ingame setting where I have the option to say for exampe render the game at 150 instead of 100?

I mean I am using my 3060 TI now on a 1080p monitor, so not sure how far I can push the render resolution.