Question Can I fit a GPU in my HP Compaq 4000 Pro (SFF)?

Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,
1 minute ago, Kazuff said:

So all I need to do is buy the GPU and a half height bracket, And then it will fit?

Yep. And most new ones include the bracket... Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-730-Graphic-Card-Low-Profile/dp/B06X92G36L

I have a HP Compaq 4000 Pro (SFF) PC that I wanted to buy a GPU for since it only has an integrated GPU.

My cousin recommended me an Nvidia GT series GPU, A GT 610 one but he told me to make sure it fits into the PC, I know they aren't the best but I am trying to make this PC as cheap as possible to run some games, Can I fit a GT 610 into the PCI-e slot of the HP Compaq 4000 Pro (SFF) that I have?

Pic:

View: https://imgur.com/a/ogXJ4Vu

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 (Dual Channel)
GPU (integrated): Intel B43 Express Chipset
Storage: 1x 80GB HDD, 1x 500GB HDD

Version: 21H1
build: 19043.1149

(normally you can only add 1 HDD, I added another by taking out the SATA cables from the DVD drive and using them with the second HDD, the DVD drive doesn't work anymore but I didn't use it anyway.)

It has a PCI-e slot and I did some research and people say that a GT 610 can be added onto it, I hope it does!

what kind of games are you looking to play? a gt610 isn't going to handle any modern games afaik. it should fit and work though

Just now, bmx6454 said:

what kind of games are you looking to play? a gt610 isn't going to handle any modern games afaik.

CS:GO, GTAV, etc, I wanna know it the GT 610 will fit and run on the PCI-e slot of the HP Compaq Pro 4000 (SFF).

1 minute ago, Kazuff said:

CS:GO, GTAV, etc, I wanna know it the GT 610 will fit and run on the PCI-e slot of the HP Compaq Pro 4000 (SFF).

yes, it should fit and work, assuming it has an sff bracket on it. it's probably not going to be a good experience playing those games though.

SFF will allow you to add a half-height card. GT730s and GT1030s are available as such, even some GTX1650s. But if you go 1650, stick to a version that does not require the 6+2 PCIe power.

image.png.f021c23bf89b1be23773b5f4d28e8324.png

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

a GT610 struggles with minecraft, it has also been replaced by the GT710, which has since been replaced by the GT1010.

if you want any sort of decent performance it's best to look towards a GTX 1050ti, i'm pretty sure there's some half-height options out there that'll fit in the SFF chassis.

that said... you're not gonna have a good time playing GTA V, and you're sort of in the "polishing a turd" segment with this PC. you could probably build something all-around better (or buy second hand..) for the $200-250-ish pricepoint.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

a GT610 struggles with minecraft, it has also been replaced by the GT710, which has since been replaced by the GT1010.

if you want any sort of decent performance it's best to look towards a GTX 1050ti, i'm pretty sure there's some half-height options out there that'll fit in the SFF chassis.

that said... you're not gonna have a good time playing GTA V, and you're sort of in the "polishing a turd" segment with this PC. you could probably build something all-around better (or buy second hand..) for the $200-250-ish pricepoint.

Well, I live in Egypt where graphic cards are REALLY expensive, a mid tier gaming PC here is about 5000$ EGP (excluding monitor, keyboard and mouse, etc.).

GT 530, 610, 710 are about 400$~ here so they are my only choice, Other than GT 610 performance I want to know if it will even run on the PC so that I buy it or not.

Just now, Kazuff said:

Well, I live in Egypt where graphic cards are REALLY expensive, a mid tier gaming PC here is about 5000$ EGP (excluding monitor, keyboard and mouse, etc.).

GT 530, 610, 710 are about 400$~ here so they are my only choice, Other than GT 610 performance I want to know if it will even run on the PC so that I buy it or not.

here's the thing.. the GT610 is absolute complete shyte. it's not worth spending A LOT of money on, even if better stuff is out of reach, it's not gonna get you enough of a benefit to make it worth your money.

7 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

yes, it should fit and work, assuming it has an sff bracket on it. it's probably not going to be a good experience playing those games though.

I guess so, I kind of want to upgrade the PC in the long end tho as I grow up since I don't have a stable source of income currently.

Just now, manikyath said:

here's the thing.. the GT610 is absolute complete shyte. it's not worth spending A LOT of money on, even if better stuff is out of reach, it's not gonna get you enough of a benefit to make it worth your money.

I mean I haven't decided if I will even get a GT610 since I don't know where to buy it from, I want to look for something like the GT610 that's better and has a lower/higher price point, My other choices are either a GT530 or a GT730/GT710.

I am not really using the PC for huge tasks, Mostly watching Youtube and playing average last-gen games.

I have a GMA4500 which is integrated and it runs GTAIV on lowest settings, resolution below 800x600 and with a mod that makes the game look like trash and it runs at about 40 frames at best.

Recommend me something similar to the GT610 and ill check it out, It must work on my dustbucket tho.

30 minutes ago, Kazuff said:

I mean I haven't decided if I will even get a GT610 since I don't know where to buy it from, I want to look for something like the GT610 that's better and has a lower/higher price point, My other choices are either a GT530 or a GT730/GT710.

The gt730 is the least bad and can actually run the game. All the other cards flat out basically cant play the games you want to play.

Also you need a low profile gpu because NONE of the cards you mentioned here will fit in your computer.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The gt730 is the least bad and can actually run the game. All the other cards flat out basically cant play the games you want to play.

Also you need a low profile gpu because NONE of the cards you mentioned here will fit in your computer.

So the gt610 won't fit unless I get the low profile version?

2 minutes ago, Kazuff said:

So the gt610 won't fit?

None of the cards you mentioned fit. You need specific low profile versions of the cards which are a lot more expensive.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

None of the cards you mentioned fit. You need specific low profile versions of the cards which are a lot more expensive.

Crap....I guess I won't get a GPU at all then.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

People above say it fits tho.

Just now, Kazuff said:

People above say it fits tho.

I don't know why they say that as it literally will not. The hp 4000 pro sff uses half height pcie so a full height card will never fit.

You can google that yourself an quickly see that. It's half height pcie so you need a low profile add in card for things to fit. The gpu's in question here have low profile variants but they are multiple times more expensive because of people like you needing these to upgrade their pc. There is far more demand than supply for them.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I don't know why they say that as it literally will not. The hp 4000 pro sff uses half height pcie so a full height card will never fit.

You can google that yourself an quickly see that. It's half height pcie so you need a low profile add in card for things to fit. The gpu's in question here have low profile variants but they are multiple times more expensive because of people like you needing these to upgrade their pc. There is far more demand than supply for them.

So, GPU isn't possible?

4 minutes ago, Kazuff said:

So, GPU isn't possible?

It is but you need a low profile version of the cards which are hard to find and more expensive.

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It is but you need a low profile version of the cards which are hard to find and more expensive.

The GT610 has a low profile version and its not hard to find, Hell, Most GT610's I priced were all low profile.

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Databaseis this low profile?

33 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It will fit, The HP Compaq 4000 Pro has a PCIE-X16 slot.

GeForce GT 610 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCIE 2.0 x16 interface.

It also has 1 PCIE 1x slot, Meaning that it will work..

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02680642.pdf Read this.

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's main GPU is NVIDIA NVS 300, Which is the same size as a GT610 and fit into the PCIe 16x slot.

11 minutes ago, Kazuff said:

It will fit, The HP Compaq 4000 Pro has a PCIE-X16 slot.

Thats true but the case only supports half height pcie cards.

15 minutes ago, Kazuff said:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Databaseis this low profile?

Yes and no. It has it's full size bracket here but can be a low profile card. However without the bracket for that it wont sit well in your pc so you need to find one with a low profile bracket too.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Thats true but the case only supports half height pcie cards.

I don't understand, I saw several people use it with the GT610 + The case can be taken off pretty easily.