Would LOVE some Monitor Advice & Tips!!

As the topic states, I could really use some help, advice & tips on which monitor I should buy! The monitor will be used primarily for Gaming - all kinds of gaming [FPS, RPG, RTS, MMO, MOBA, etc] but, I also want it to look good when I'm watching videos, surfing the web, etc. I'm doing minor video editing, some YouTube, but nothing drastic. No photography or heavy editing/rendering.

Here are a couple I am currently checking out:

• ASUS VG278HE -(or)- VG248QE  (27" / 24")

• BenQ XL2720T -(or)- XL2420TE (27" / 24")

Now, before you go on a subatomic-thermonuclear apocalyptic end of the world disaster mode on me, yes, I know, these are TN Panels!

»The only requirements that must be met:

Resolution 1080p +

- 27" OR 24"

- 5ms or less

»Some requirements I would prefer, but are not a must:

- 120+ Hz

- 1440p Resolution

- Decent Colors (or good enough for gaming; which is why I am ok with TN)

- Good Ratings & Reviews

So, the question of the topic is this:

With a roughly ~$350 budget (I might be getting 2 so not wanting to spend too much, and I'm also willing to go up a few $ if it's worth it) - What would be an equivalent IPS Panel - OR - Should I stick with these? And if not, which do you recommend?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

»The only requirements that must be met:

Resolution 1080p +

- 27" OR 24"

- 5ms or less

»Some requirements I would prefer, but are not a must:

- 120+ Hz

- Decent Colors (or good enough for gaming; which is why I am ok with TN)

- Good Ratings/Reviews

So, the question of the topic is this:

» With a roughly ~$350 budget (I might be getting 2 so not wanting to spend too much, and I'm also willing to go up a few $ if it's worth it) - What would be an equivalent IPS Panel - OR - Should I stick with these? And if not, which do you recommend?

If you really want a high frequency panel, get the XL2420TE or XL2420Z.

Otherwise, definitely get an IPS panel for the better colors and viewing angles. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umhh6aa001

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs239hp

The response time spec you see listed is bull--ignore it. Modern displays have pretty low response time in general anyway. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you really want a high frequency panel, get the XL2420TE or XL2420Z.

Otherwise, definitely get an IPS panel for the better colors and viewing angles. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umhh6aa001

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs239hp

The response time spec you see listed is bull--ignore it. Modern displays have pretty low response time in general anyway. 

What's the difference between the 2 BenQ's you mentioned? (xxxxxTE / xxxxxZ)

Also, the two monitors you linked me to (I know this is going to sound weird) are a bit too cheap for my taste. I'm pretty biased against Acer. I would prefer to stay with ASUS or BenQ. On the ASUS VS239H-P, is there a "higher end" one? And is there any reason in particular you are recommending those? As I mentioned, I would actually like to pay a bit more to get the most out of my money. Not looking too much into the "budget" side of things, as I am for the performance - which is why I would like to pay around the $350 mark.

Like, what are some of the highest rated / best reviewed IPS panels nowadays? For example, as per TN panels, the ASUS and BenQ I mentioned are rated ridiculously high - which, again, is a big deciding factor for me.

Also, should I stay with 1080p due to my budget, or would I be able to squeeze in a good 1440p monitor at around that price? Or would it even be worth it?

Thanks in advance for all the help and sorry for all the questions mate! I value your advice as you've shown to me you know what you're talking about throughout LTT. I know everything about PCs, but very little about monitors :(

What's the difference between the 2 BenQ's you mentioned? (xxxxxTE / xxxxxZ)

Also, the two monitors you linked me to (I know this is going to sound weird) are a bit too cheap for my taste. I'm pretty biased against Acer. I would prefer to stay with ASUS or BenQ. On the ASUS VS239H-P, is there a "higher end" one? And is there any reason in particular you are recommending those? As I mentioned, I would actually like to pay a bit more to get the most out of my money. Not looking too much into the "budget" side of things, as I am for the performance - which is why I would like to pay around the $350 mark.

The Z is a newer revision with motion blur reduction and low blue light as an eye precautionary safety measure.

Unless you need better color accuracy or features, paying more for an expensive display is not necessarily going to give a better viewing experience or 'performance'. Why are you biased against Acer? Have you used their IPS monitors?

If you really want to pay more, be ready to pony up for a 1440p or 4K display. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Z is a newer revision with motion blur reduction and low blue light as an eye precautionary safety measure.

Unless you need better color accuracy or features, paying more for an expensive display is not necessarily going to give a better viewing experience or 'performance'. Why are you biased against Acer? Have you used their IPS monitors?

If you really want to pay more, be ready to pony up for a 1440p or 4K display. 

Oh ok, gotcha. So far the Z series sounds good to me.

Yes, I would prefer better color accuracy, more features, and hopefully slightly better specs - that is my reasoning for spending more. I want to squeeze as much as I can with that $ amount, as opposed to saving as much $ as I can.

As far as Acer goes, I've never had good luck with any of their products; however, specifically with their monitors, I used to sell them in my store, and they just never appealed to me. There was always a nicer Samsung, Asus or LG, for example, next to the Acer ones. Albeit at a slightly higher price, but no matter what I found things I preferred in the others.

Would you say this monitor would be a "IPS Competitor" to the TNs I mentioned?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236309

Or are there any better / higher rated IPS panels over that one that would compete with the TNs I listed? Keep in mind, color and viewing angle are not the end-all for me, as gaming is a big focus of mine. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the TNs is that IPS panels just have so much better colors, which shows in gaming.

As far as Acer goes, I've never had good luck with any of their products; however, specifically with their monitors, I used to sell them in my store, and they just never appealed to me. There was always a nicer Samsung, Asus or LG, for example, next to the Acer ones. Albeit at a slightly higher price, but no matter what I found things I preferred in the others.

The biggest question: Were you comparing IPS panels?

The biggest question: Were you comparing IPS panels?

With the Acers vs the rest? No, you're right, not always. They were TFT LCDs, IPS, TNs, etc. But again, I would just feel safer spending a little more just due to the fact of it having the word "ASUS or BenQ" on it over Acer, AOC or HP (purely as examples) This might just be psychological, but it's enough to keep me stiff.

EDIT: That didn't sound right.

Edited by MrYuriy

Would you say this monitor would be a "IPS Competitor" to the TNs I mentioned?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236309

Or are there any better / higher rated IPS panels over that one that would compete with the TNs I listed? Keep in mind, color and viewing angle are not the end-all for me, as gaming is a big focus of mine. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the TNs is that IPS panels just have so much better colors, which shows in gaming.

There's no 'IPS competitor' to a TN panel. The differences are too stark.

If not for the gloss, I'd prefer the Acer display I recommended over the MX279H. The H2X6HLbid line of displays is pretty popular and I really like the stand. Then again, Acer has some of the sturdiest stands available. You should probably look up some H236HLbid reviews if you haven't already. 

The Asus display isn't worth the money imo. If you're going to spend near $300, you shouldn't be looking at 1080p unless you need a particularly accurate display,

With the Acers vs the rest? No, you're right, not always. They were TFT LCDs, IPS, TNs, etc. But again, I would just feel safer spending a little more just due to the fact of it having the word "ASUS or BenQ" on it over Acer, AOC or HP (purely as examples) This might just be psychological, but it's enough to keep me stiff.

EDIT: That didn't sound right.

Yeah, it doesn't. Fanboyism never does.. 

Compare individual displays or lines of displays and not an entire brand. Asus, BenQ, Acer, AOC, etc don't even make their own panels--the actual manufactures include LG, Samsung, Sharp, etc. 

There's no 'IPS competitor' to a TN panel. The differences are too stark.

If not for the gloss, I'd prefer the Acer display I recommended over the MX279H. The H2X6HLbid line of displays is pretty popular and I really like the stand. Then again, Acer has some of the sturdiest stands available. You should probably look up some H236HLbid reviews if you haven't already. 

The Asus display isn't worth the money imo. If you're going to spend near $300, you shouldn't be looking at 1080p unless you need a particularly accurate display,

Yeah, it doesn't. Fanboyism never does.. 

Compare individual displays or lines of displays and not an entire brand. Asus, BenQ, Acer, AOC, etc don't even make their own panels--the actual manufactures include LG, Samsung, Sharp, etc. 

I guess you have a point as far as there being an "IPS competitor" to TN, I see what you mean.. There really are just night & day differences, haha.

Ok so 3 last straight to the point questions for you:

1) If you were to buy a 27" IPS for Gaming and didn't care about budget (up to $350 of course ;)) because you have a money tree in your backyard, what would your personal 2-3 choices be?

2) If gaming was your ENTIRE focus and you couldn't care 2 licks about viewing angles, would you go with the TN's you & I both mentioned, or would you still stick with an IPS?

3) Is it worth it for gaming to go with 1440p? Would my budget not be enough for a really good one, or would I lose out on good specs just to gain resolution? Any sacrifices with going with 1440p nowadays?

And again, I really would like to give my deepest gratitude for all your help so far WoodenMarker. As you've noticed, not only have you been the ONLY one, ( :() but you've also done so with phenomenal information.

Ok so 3 last straight to the point questions for you:

1) If you were to buy a 27" IPS for Gaming and didn't care about budget (up to $350 of course ;)) because you have a money tree in your backyard, what would your personal 2-3 choices be?

2) If gaming was your ENTIRE focus and you couldn't care 2 licks about viewing angles, would you go with the TN's you & I both mentioned, or would you still stick with an IPS?

3) Is it worth it for gaming to go with 1440p? Would my budget not be enough for a really good one, or would I lose out on good specs just to gain resolution? Any sacrifices with going with 1440p nowadays?

And again, I really would like to give my deepest gratitude for all your help so far WoodenMarker. As you've noticed, not only have you been the ONLY one, ( :() you've done so with phenomenal information.

1. I'd probably get the i2769Vm since it's matte and for the vesa mount so I could mount 2 of them on a rosewill dual monitor stand. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2769vm

Similar reasoning for the 27EA33V http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-27ea33v

If not for vesa mounts: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umhb6aa001 for the stand.  

This is all taking into account that I prefer matte displays. That might not be your thing.

2. Not sure. There's a big difference between competitive gaming and gaming for entertainment. 

3. You could get a nice cheaper Korean panel that would almost be as good as any other name brand one. You just need to find one on sale. No sacrifices coming from 1080p other than needing more graphics card power to push the same fps. 

It's only been an hour or so, you'd probably get a response from someone else if I hadn't replied. People can tend not to chime in if things have already been said. 

1. I'd probably get the i2769Vm since it's matte and for the vesa mount so I could mount 2 of them on a rosewill dual monitor stand. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2769vm

Similar reasoning for the 27EA33V http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-27ea33v

If not for vesa mounts: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umhb6aa001 for the stand.  

This is all taking into account that I prefer matte displays. That might not be your thing.

2. Not sure. There's a big difference between competitive gaming and gaming for entertainment. 

3. You could get a nice cheaper Korean panel that would almost be as good as any other name brand one. You just need to find one on sale. No sacrifices coming from 1080p other than needing more graphics card power to push the same fps. 

It's only been an hour or so, you'd probably get a response from someone else if I hadn't replied. People can tend not to chime in if things have already been said. 

1) Ergggh! Sorry, I feel like I am killing you with questions.. Now, because I am going to be putting them on an articulating dual-monitor VESA mount, another thing I've just started thinking about is the bezel size. That's one of the only things stopping me from putting that LG you posted in my top 3. Are there any similar to the LG you linked that has a near non-existent bezel, such as on the MX279H? Again, you can go up in price even if that's the only difference between one model over the other; i'm okay with that, as the bezel will make a big difference to me - especially if I go for NVidia Surround/Eyefinity in the future.

2) Another valid point. For me though, just entertainment gaming.

3) I keep hearing that term.. "good cheap Korean panel".. Could you give me an example of this?

Ohh, so what you're saying is... You single-handedly scared everyone out of my thread? And I thought you were actually helping me...

(pure sarcasm)

1) Ergggh! Sorry, I feel like I am killing you with questions.. Now, because I am going to be putting them on an articulating dual-monitor VESA mount, another thing I've just started thinking about is the bezel size. That's one of the only things stopping me from putting that LG you posted in my top 3. Are there any similar to the LG you linked that has a near non-existent bezel, such as on the MX279H? Again, you can go up in price even if that's the only difference between one model over the other; i'm okay with that, as the bezel will make a big difference to me - especially if I go for NVidia Surround/Eyefinity in the future.

2) Another valid point. For me though, just entertainment gaming.

3) I keep hearing that term.. "good cheap Korean panel".. Could you give me an example of this?

1. Well the AOC panel I first mentioned has a thin bezel. It's 2mm thick which isn't as thin as the MX279H's 0.8mm but it's still pretty thin. 

2. If getting as many frames as possible is not top priority, there's no reason not to go IPS for gaming.

3. QNIX has one: http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US

That is definitely going to be out of his budget.

Yes, yes, I know about the ROG Swift. And as much as I drool over it, $800 is just not something I am willing to pay for one monitor. Though, it does seem well worth it, heh.

1. Well the AOC panel I first mentioned has a thin bezel. It's 2mm thick which isn't as thin as the MX279H's 0.8mm but it's still pretty thin. 

2. If getting as many frames as possible is not top priority, there's no reason not to go IPS for gaming.

3. QNIX has one: http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US

That is definitely going to be out of his budget.

Oh ok, the AOC is 2mm? That's not too bad. I think I can live with that.

Well, I've done my research with TNs and have come down from ~200 models down to 2.

However, I haven't had the time to do as much research on which IPS I want. I will more than likely end up with an IPS, and a good bit of thanks to you for giving me the info I needed! Now, I must satisfy my research hunger and see what I come up with. I wrote down that LG and AOC, and I will give Acer a chance. :P

That QNIX sounds pretty great @ that price actually. Bookmarked.

Right on the specs of the QNIX - Panel Type: Samsung PLS

I found that rather funny, as you mentioned this earlier, lol.

Now, the one thing I keep coming back to, is that we didn't talk much about the Refresh Rate.. Don't you think 144Hz is a pretty powerful spec, versus color reproduction for gaming? I understand & agree what you said about the ms response time.. But 144Hz vs 60Hz for gaming? That just seems like a huge draw.. And probably the only one not fully eliminating TNs right away.

Now, the one thing I keep coming back to, is that we didn't talk much about the Refresh Rate.. Don't you think 144Hz is a pretty powerful spec, versus color reproduction for gaming? I understand & agree what you said about the ms response time.. But 144Hz vs 60Hz for gaming? That just seems like a huge draw.. And probably the only one not fully eliminating TNs right away.

High refresh rate is great and can be a pain to go back to 60 hz when you get used to it. Going from IPS to TN is similar. 

It's dependent on which is a bigger deal to you. Going from TN to IPS is a bigger deal than the refresh rate to most people. 

High refresh rate is great and can be a pain to go back to 60 hz when you get used to it. Going from IPS to TN is similar. 

It's dependent on which is a bigger deal to you. Going from TN to IPS is a bigger deal than the refresh rate to most people. 

Gotcha.

And yeah, I can see why that is. I heard the colors of good IPS panels are just jaw-dropping.

.. I don't understand why this choice is so hard for me. It doesn't help that I'm so indecisive.  :wacko: