combine two or more hard drives? looking for ideas.

GOW2

I need to empty my NAS to start over, i have TBs of data i'm trying to find something to move this data to temporarily. I have a spare PC that uses a ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming board and a few spare hard drives as one is not large enough. It looks like you can setup raid0 in the bios.

Would this work or is there a better way that i can do this on Win.

They call it RAID 0 because that's the number of files you can recover when a drive fails.

You really want at least 1 drive worth of redundancy. Either fill each drive up individually (with copies of the most important stuff on at least two different drives) or invest in an external that's big enough to lifeboat everything (and still make a second copy of anything critical).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

if it's mismatched drives, i'd just divide the data among the drives manually ('movies go there, music goes there' type of approach)

if they're close enough of a match, just set up a software raid5 in windows, so an untimely drive loss doesnt cause issues.

29 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if they're close enough of a match, just set up a software raid5 in windows, so an untimely drive loss doesnt cause issues.

Just wanted to point out that Raid 5 requires at least 3 disks, and you'll only get the combined capacity of two of them. However it protects you against hardware failure of any one of them (it is not a replacement for a backup though)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

By temporary I mean a week. I already have backups of the most important.