LTT Screwdriver locked ratchet

Tomhys

Hello,

I have a quick question about the LTT screwdriver. I just watched the livestream from pop up shop and it looks great.  Only question for me remains, that a lot of times I like to use my screwdrivers in "locked ratchet". 
Can someone who perhaps has it or tried it tell me, if there is a wigle if you hold the shaft and try to rotate it clockwise and counterclockwise, or if its solid as if it was solid screwdriver without the ratchet ?
I have two ratchet screwdrivers at home and both feels like crap in the locked position and thats the reason that i dont use them.

Could someone please try this and let me know ? I dont want to spend over 100 bucks on something i would be dissapointed with.
Thank you very much.

Tom

That's a good question, I've often used mine that way too.

However, I don't see how they could make it have no play though. There's going to be some wiggle.

It's my understanding that one of if not the only driver with basically no "backlash" in the center position of the ratchet mechanism is the PB Swiss. Hoping that Project Farm compares to that. I assume Jeff Geerling will once he gets his hands on one given the YouTube short he posted.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:04 AM, Hypnotoad said:

It's my understanding that one of if not the only driver with basically no "backlash" in the center position of the ratchet mechanism is the PB Swiss. Hoping that Project Farm compares to that. I assume Jeff Geerling will once he gets his hands on one given the YouTube short he posted.

So far the only driver I've tested that I'd call "like a normal driver" in locked mode is the PB Swiss.

And I've been surprised by how much and how little slop the other drivers I'm testing have—doesn't seem strongly correlated to price. And I'm with OP, the reason I haven't traditionally used ratcheting drivers is that slop, I hate it.

I will be doing some testing on it, but I'm hoping PF will give a bit more rigor to that type of testing (the rig I was hoping to build to test precise runout in locked position didn't end up working well enough for some of the better drivers), so I'll be giving a little more subjective take on it, and showing some of the drivers so you can visually compare.

I do have a couple more... "fun" tests planned that I'm guessing PF won't have in his video Sunday 🙂

(Edit: and to be clear, I'm awaiting shipment of the driver for review. PF already has a couple and has been testing.)

4 hours ago, geerlingguy said:

So far the only driver I've tested that I'd call "like a normal driver" in locked mode is the PB Swiss.

And I've been surprised by how much and how little slop the other drivers I'm testing have—doesn't seem strongly correlated to price. And I'm with OP, the reason I haven't traditionally used ratcheting drivers is that slop, I hate it.

I will be doing some testing on it, but I'm hoping PF will give a bit more rigor to that type of testing (the rig I was hoping to build to test precise runout in locked position didn't end up working well enough for some of the better drivers), so I'll be giving a little more subjective take on it, and showing some of the drivers so you can visually compare.

I do have a couple more... "fun" tests planned that I'm guessing PF won't have in his video Sunday 🙂

(Edit: and to be clear, I'm awaiting shipment of the driver for review. PF already has a couple and has been testing.)

That would be great ! 
Right now I have some generic Stanley next to me and its especially bad. I am just thinking how to quantify this movement, but for this one, its really a couple of mm of travel and its feels terrible.
I am looking forward for your testing and hopefully there will be some positive outcome for us. 

On 8/29/2022 at 4:04 PM, Hypnotoad said:

I wil look into the PB Swiss 🙂 

Thank you all

Here is a short video at the end I show the play it has when locked.

4 hours ago, Danan said:

Here is a short video at the end I show the play it has when locked.

That's gross, I hope in person the slop doesn't feel as bad as it looks.

I just got the driver in, but couldn't test it much yet due to a minor operation today. The slop is definitely better than the Wera, but far worse than the PB Swiss. It's not a deal-breaker for a ratcheting screwdriver (it's not the best, but far from the worst), and like I said earlier, price doesn't seem to correlate much to slop in the locked ratchet, except in PB Swiss's case.

I will say the feel of the ratchet itself is very nice when using it by hand, and as Linus said in the launch video, it's probably one of the nicest aspects of the LTT ratchet mechanism.

I'd buy this if they sold it. 

Just a good old #2 with LTT some cool logo ( But maybe a different style handle for those with sensitive palms )

image.jpeg.a73f8a0e976eec03bd4ed74a407f72d7.jpeg

On 9/1/2022 at 6:26 AM, Hypnotoad said:

That's gross, I hope in person the slop doesn't feel as bad as it looks.

Not as bad but I wouldn't use it to adjust one of those small POTs you can find in some devices.

Definitely made to screw not to make fine adjustments.

11 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

According to Project Farms, its a very sloppy driver. 

Inb4 Linus or one of his pawns comes in and defends this as 'the cost of having a nice ratcheting sound'

Always use a min of 3 sources for research.

never 1.

when i by lens am not just using 1 source for research of a said lens.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

You know what has zero backlash in locked mode?

https://store.gamersnexus.net/products/gamersnexus-tear-down-toolkit

I don't understand the desire to have a ratcheting screwdriver that locks. None of my ratchets have a "locked" mode.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I never use the locked positions on my ratcheting drivers, if i want a locked screwdriver I use a regular driver but if I was someone who this was important to then the LTT driver certainly wouldn't be the top choice.

2 hours ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Okay, but so far there have only been two independant people who tested it, and have the reputation to prove they arent bullshiting, so this is the best we got. 

which is fine. more testing coming from other done the line.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC