What 7-zip settings give the best compression reult

I dont care about time or ram use (I have 32GB) I just need to make a backup of my NAS using the least space but there are alot of options and while i am fine with taking time to compress i dont want to pay the power cost of testing each setting one by one so what settings work the best for the smallest file size most of what I am putting on it are either 6-16GB or less than 1GB vary few in between also most of the big files are movies in h264 or h265 mp4.

2 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

7-zip Ultra compression

so .7z or .zip what about word size block size ad dictionary size

36 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

I dont care about time or ram use (I have 32GB) I just need to make a backup of my NAS using the least space but there are alot of options and while i am fine with taking time to compress i dont want to pay the power cost of testing each setting one by one so what settings work the best for the smallest file size most of what I am putting on it are either 6-16GB or less than 1GB vary few in between also most of the big files are movies in h264 or h265 mp4.

h.264/h.265 are already compressed, 7zip wont do anything for those, at worst will make them larger. and more inconvenient to access/use. zipping is only useful there to wrap multiple of them up, not to compress.

The best compression settings do completly depend on what is being compressed, but 7zip have many knobs to mess with.

7 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

.7z Ultra. There are no other settings.

have you looked at the add to archive popup

As mentioned depends a lot on what's on the NAS, and if it's media it'll just be both a waste of time and major inconvenience should you need to get to anything in the archives. So backing up the files as is would likely be the most practical solution even if it takes more space.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

As mentioned depends a lot on what's on the NAS, and if it's media it'll just be both a waste of time and major inconvenience should you need to get to anything in the archives. So backing up the files as is would likely be the most practical solution even if it takes more space.

well what is not media is game code and documents