Gamers Nexus calling out Linus for monetizing on his own controversy

Stahlmann
9 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

Bear in mind that this entire controversy is about a hypothetical. It is about "WHAT IF something happens to my overpriced backpack?"  AFAIK, nobody was actually hurt or cheated. This wasn't a case of any faulty packs being shipped and LTT not providing service.  It was all about the "what if" and wanting a piece of paper instead of relying on Linus being a mensch.  The best retail "warranty" in the world has always been Nordstrom (a US-based, high end department store). They will (or at least used to for decades) take anything back, regardless of age or condition. Not a written policy. Just the reputation of the Nordstrom name.  Did people abuse it?  Yeah.  They had to make a rule that prom dresses had to have all of their tags still affixed, but their rep was so strong that the only written rule was the exception.  I guess the world has changed. 

The problem with the backpack is that Linus sold backpacks for millions of $ under the "trust me" mentality. And the warranty they worded after that actually covers a whole lot less than "trust me" mentality was about. So in a way the CEO Linus overpromised what LMG ultimately delivered in a written format.

Still, the way problems with the product are handled ultimately comes down more to the sellers (LMG's) intend rather than to a written warranty, so there will likely be replacement even if the product issue in question falls under the warranty exclusions. I have no doubt their screwdriver and backpack are top-notch products. The attention to detail and seeing them being developed in the background of other videos over months or years have shown us that.

Which brings me back to the main point of discussion here: Linus as the CEO of 80+ employees across 3 companies could have handled the situation a lot better and especially more professional. Memeing about your customer's genuine complaints is something i'd expect from DBrand or maybe NZXT, but it's definetly a trend in the wrong direction.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

But it's only bad on the LTT related HW news?

Hide contents

image.png.e5a10594b10db666b9cb03fac19a10c2.png

Yes, they're getting worse, but so is every other thumbnail.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.aeb42b1c54625b3cdd0418e867b09551.png

8 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

Anti-consumer is making a faulty product and/or not fixing the situation when it happens. It is lying about specs - and to a much lesser extent, marketing puffery.

There is no obligation to provide a written warranty.  Everything has an implied warranty of merchantability and suitability already (at least in the US & likely Canada & EU). A written warranty is a nice feature to have and a buyer can make buying decisions based on how important it is to them.  As I mentioned in another post, the warranty itself cannot force a seller to honor it.  It is merely evidence should a buyer choose to sue for non-performance. If the issue is big enough, it might help you if an attorney general chooses to go after the company, but they like bigger, splashier targets for the press coverage.  And one detail I forgot above, but it might - just might - help you if you challenge the purchase on your credit card, but it is no guarantee since the card company can choose to side with the seller.

If a warranty is critical to you, you should simply buy some other pack. LTT doesn't have a monopoly on the backpack world.   Nobody owes you a warranty.

3 hours ago, Vilacom said:

Personally I think its hilarious that anyone think that extremely high level/detailed testing is anything that a channel or company is basing profit on.  There is a reason basically no one does it at all now and anyone who did either stopped and changed what they did or went out of business.  It’s something more than 90% of consumers will never ever care about.  A simple “Does it work with basically no maintenance from me as I want it to” is all most care about.

GN was also a deciding factor in some stuff that mattered to all consumers, for example the NZXT H1 fire hazard.

3 hours ago, Vilacom said:

The information that crazy PSU tester or the fan tester the GN purchased are going to put out the majority of viewers wont even understand, a chunk of the rest of them might understand or look into how to understand it but dont actually care, like if you’re buying new fans do you need to know the technical aspects of why everyone recommends Noctua or do you just buy them because they are extremely well reviewed and you just know youre getting a solid product for the price.

You can see how content for the general consumer is structured. Look at an LTT video. There is a lot of misinformation and errors that are only in the content because it had to be dumbed down so much. When Linus talked about the audio test dummy video on the WAN show i think he mentioned the script went through 2 or 3 different people who took information out because it was still too technical.

GN goes in-depth knowing that likely most consumers don't even care about their data. And they continually add more technicality. For example their "Schlieren-photography" in cooler reviews: They know this information is only useful to an extremely small subset of people. But to the consumers who actually want to inform themself and make a good buying decision they're an incredibly good resource. So in my book they're doing everything right in that regard.

Still, both of these media forms have their audience, like you said yourself in the rest of your post.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Getting a company to cover anything with an implied warranty usually results in a company ignoring the consumer or refusing to under "wear and tear" or product "misuse". A "trust me bro" warranty doesn't mean anything as the company could simply refuse to replace it if they wanted to, at least a written warranty offers a consumer legal protection if the company doesn't want to offer any replacement or repair of a broken zipper.

A written warranty tells me as a consumer that a company stands behind their product and is confident enough to sell it without failing apart.

And I have to agree with @tkitchhere, you're being disingenuous by saying Steve only offers a 7 year warranty, before GN made a video LTT was offering no official warranty, and it took a massive controversy and being called out to even offer a warranty. Also Steve has a much smaller company, I'm assuming it costs a lot of money to go through all the legal processes to offer a written warranty, and LMG has more money to throw around on a warranty.

I don't see how sales numbers matter to anyone besides Linus and his company, LTT has millions of viewers, many of them being younger so more impressionable on agreeing with Linus and more easily sold a $250 backpack or $80 screwdriver.

And if you think Steve was scolding Linus with his whole reaction to the matter then you're missing the point, in my opinion, Steve is right, profiteering from a scandal is a really underhanded thing to do and it only makes LTT as a company look bad. I think Linus should've learned not to profiteer on his controversies after the whole "Adblock is piracy" thing but at this point it seems on purpose in order to get a profit.

You say a warranty offers "legal protection", but that ONLY happens with the credible threat of legal ACTION: a lawsuit. Attorneys don't work for free and they don't care if your zipper broke. They will only care if 10,000 zippers break and a good number of those customers lost an eye.

Without a credible threat of legal action, a written warranty is no better than Linus' "trust me, bro" utterance.  AGAIN... where was Apple's written warranty when they were telling people "you're holding it wrong"?

Setting aside that you're misusing the term "profiteering"...   Was Linus making TMB shirts immature?  Yeah, probably. He misread the majority of the room.  But if you go after Linus for trying to profit from controversy, you can't let Steve off the hook for doing the same thing.  He's using tabloid graphics, the LTT name, the LTT logo and even Linus' face to increase video views and make more profit.  The numbers for the Linus warranty video are double GN's typical views.

As for GN having a worse warranty... They're charging $100 for some rubber with graphics.  If he wants to sell an overpriced, premium product, he should offer a premium warranty.

A warranty is actually a bet by the seller that the item will be of sufficient quality to last longer than the warranty term.  Done properly, an actuary runs the odds of failure times the estimated percentage who will claim times the cost to repair or replace. Those numbers are folded into the cost of the item.  In some cases, companies will build in enough profit to replace every item sold. You'll see that when the are "no questions asked" warranties. Someone in accounting allowed for it.  With his premium $100 price per mat, Steve undoubtedly has enough profit margin to replace each one, so capping it at 7 years and, especially, not allowing it to be transferred is simply greedy, regardless of company size

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X • ASUS TUF x570-Plus • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 - 64GB • MSI Radeon RX 6750XT MECH 2X OC w/12GB • bequiet! Pure Base 600 case • Crucial T500 NVMe 1TB (boot / app), P5+ NVMe 500GB (cache / scratch), Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 4TB x2 (RAID 1 for long-term storage), LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray/DVD/CD Internal SATA R/W Drive • bequiet! Dark Power 13 1000W • 2x 27" ASUS ProArt PA278QV • bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 & bequiet! Silent Wings case fans • Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard • Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse • Logitech S220 w/subwoofer, Sennheiser HD 414 headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS StreamSet headset • Windows 11 (insider builds)

43 minutes ago, MAXBattle said:

You say a warranty offers "legal protection", but that ONLY happens with the credible threat of legal ACTION: a lawsuit. Attorneys don't work for free and they don't care if your zipper broke. They will only care if 10,000 zippers break and a good number of those customers lost an eye.

Without a credible threat of legal action, a written warranty is no better than Linus' "trust me, bro" utterance.  AGAIN... where was Apple's written warranty when they were telling people "you're holding it wrong"?

Setting aside that you're misusing the term "profiteering"...   Was Linus making TMB shirts immature?  Yeah, probably. He misread the majority of the room.  But if you go after Linus for trying to profit from controversy, you can't let Steve off the hook for doing the same thing.  He's using tabloid graphics, the LTT name, the LTT logo and even Linus' face to increase video views and make more profit.  The numbers for the Linus warranty video are double GN's typical views.

As for GN having a worse warranty... They're charging $100 for some rubber with graphics.  If he wants to sell an overpriced, premium product, he should offer a premium warranty.

A warranty is actually a bet by the seller that the item will be of sufficient quality to last longer than the warranty term.  Done properly, an actuary runs the odds of failure times the estimated percentage who will claim times the cost to repair or replace. Those numbers are folded into the cost of the item.  In some cases, companies will build in enough profit to replace every item sold. You'll see that when the are "no questions asked" warranties. Someone in accounting allowed for it.  With his premium $100 price per mat, Steve undoubtedly has enough profit margin to replace each one, so capping it at 7 years and, especially, not allowing it to be transferred is simply greedy, regardless of company size

I think you’re confusing the terms legal protection and need of lawyer. Where I am from there is a department for consumer protection where you can report a warranty or any issue with a company and your case gets investigated and resolved without you lifting a finger or paying for any legal fees. 

Even more so just mentioning that you will escalate the issue to said department most times makes the company comply if they weren’t before. And then you have public reviews where you can warn other consumers about how easy or hard a company is to deal with. 

I am sure countries like the US and CA have something similar for consumer issues. It would be insane if you had to lawyer up and pay thousands od dollars for such issues. 

9 minutes ago, GameRetro said:

I think you’re confusing the terms legal protection and need of lawyer. Where I am from there is a department for consumer protection where you can report a warranty or any issue with a company and your case gets investigated and resolved without you lifting a finger or paying for any legal fees. 

Even more so just mentioning that you will escalate the issue to said department most times makes the company comply if they weren’t before. And then you have public reviews where you can warn other consumers about how easy or hard a company is to deal with. 

In my country we have an extremely popular and effective TV show called Fair Go, if you ever end up on there then you messed up and the most public way possible. Between that show and our Consumer Guarantees Act and Consumer Protection Agency it's hard to say which has been the most effective, that TV show has done so much for the public.

So long story short, you do not need a lawyer or even any legal challenge at all to attempt to hold a company account to their written warranty or any applicable laws, there are other ways you can go first that are often more effective anyway.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

In my country we have an extremely popular and effective TV show called Fair Go, if you ever end up on there then you messed up and the most public way possible. Between that show and our Consumer Guarantees Act and Consumer Protection Agency it's hard to say which has been the most effective, that TV show has done so much for the public.

So long story short, you do not need a lawyer or even any legal challenge at all to attempt to hold a company account to their written warranty or any applicable laws, there are other ways you can go first that are often more effective anyway.

your right.

i had a few orders(wont mention where i sell products) but it is usa.

Anyhow, if a order comes from not from usa.

the moment it leaves the usa (insurance on product is usa only if it get damage). it is under my distraction ,on the  warranty.

seeing the warranty was only for the usa , it owned land masses.(islands and such)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

30 minutes ago, GameRetro said:

I am sure countries like the US and CA have something similar for consumer issues. It would be insane if you had to lawyer up and pay thousands od dollars for such issues. 

I'm not confusing anything.  The warranty is only evidence.  You and that piece of paper can do nothing by yourselves. 

The US doesn't have a public agency to handle petty consumer disputes. If it rises to the level of deliberate fraud or risk to health or property, sure... a state attorney general or a federal agency MIGHT get involved, but there's no guarantee.  Your broken zipper won't even get you a returned phone call. A best you can go to small claims court on your own, but you still need to enforce it.  As for TV shows... sure, there are consumer advocacy shows the seek to shame companies into giving a refund instead of dealing with the PR mess, but nobody wants to watch a show about bad zippers.  If the bag catches fire, that's another story.

I'm curious about this agency that'll rally the troops over a broken zipper.  What agency is this? And do they accept EVERY case from EVERY person, even if they're unreasonable? 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X • ASUS TUF x570-Plus • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 - 64GB • MSI Radeon RX 6750XT MECH 2X OC w/12GB • bequiet! Pure Base 600 case • Crucial T500 NVMe 1TB (boot / app), P5+ NVMe 500GB (cache / scratch), Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 4TB x2 (RAID 1 for long-term storage), LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray/DVD/CD Internal SATA R/W Drive • bequiet! Dark Power 13 1000W • 2x 27" ASUS ProArt PA278QV • bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 & bequiet! Silent Wings case fans • Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard • Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse • Logitech S220 w/subwoofer, Sennheiser HD 414 headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS StreamSet headset • Windows 11 (insider builds)

8 minutes ago, MAXBattle said:

The US doesn't have a public agency to handle petty consumer disputes.

Let me introduce you to the Bureau of Consumer Protection literally 1 google search and the first result later:

Bureau of Consumer Protection | Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov)

But yes, of course they will only intervene if there is a pattern of anti-consumer behavior.

I'm not confusing anything.  The warranty is only evidence.  You and that piece of paper can do nothing by yourselves.

IF you're to take things to court, evidence is exactly what you need.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

You can see how content for the general consumer is structured. Look at an LTT video. There is a lot of misinformation and errors that are only in the content because it had to be dumbed down so much. When Linus talked about the audio test dummy video on the WAN show i think he mentioned the script went through 2 or 3 different people who took information out because it was still too technical.

GN goes in-depth knowing that likely most consumers don't even care about their data. And they continually add more technicality. For example their "Schlieren-photography" in cooler reviews: They know this information is only useful to an extremely small subset of people. But to the consumers who actually want to inform themself and make a good buying decision they're an incredibly good resource. So in my book they're doing everything right in that regard.

Still, both of these media forms have their audience, like you said yourself in the rest of your post.

Sure, but thats not the point I was making, my point is if you want that extremely technical in depth data then you need someone like Linus and LMG to get the resources together so they can gain access to that data on demand without needing to "play the game" as it were with the companies that generally have it.

GN will always be limited in what they can realistically obtain because...well lots of reasons realistically, I sincerely doubt there's a way to get another channel to where LTT is on tech content in this day and age, Linus has said how lucky he was with timing multiple times.  But aside from other uncontrollable factors GN's content just doesnt have the reach or audience that LTT does, which means he cant afford the investment for the kind of testing equipment and staff LMG does.  Why not?  Cause he doesn't play the youtube game like LTT does, he doesnt try to reach for the pure entertainment crowd, he doesn't have the capacity to put out content as much as LTT does, He doesn't hype his own stuff like LTT does.

It's nothing against him, and clearly he'll still be fairly successful.  But lets put it this way, I'll be a little surprised if GN has sold as many of their screwdriver sets from its inception as LTT sold in what...two days?

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I looked up your Fair Go show.  I doubt they'd take your broken zipper case.  Yes, they take petty cases, but only if the issue behind the dispute is an interesting one.  In other words, ratings. Zippers are boring and people who would blow $250 on a backpack aren't sympathetic.

One other thing... The New Zealand CGA primarily applies to companies IN New Zealand. The government even says that EVEN IF a warranty might apply, enforcement can be difficult.  The NZ gov't isn't going to fly to Canada to get you a new bag.

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Let me introduce you to the Bureau of Consumer Protection literally 1 google search and the first result later:

Bureau of Consumer Protection | Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov)

But yes, of course they will only intervene if there is a pattern of anti-consumer behavior.

I'm quite familiar with the FTC.  Please re-read my comment you quoted.  "The US doesn't have a public agency to handle petty consumer disputes."  Emphasis added.  They will not act unless there is a large-scale pattern of fraud or if there is risk to life or serious risk to other property.  And... they're not likely to go after a tiny Canadian company unless people are seriously impacted.

I'm quite familiar with the FTC.  Please re-read my comment you quoted.  "The US doesn't have a public agency to handle petty consumer disputes."  Emphasis added.  They will not act unless there is a large-scale pattern of fraud or if there is risk to life or serious risk to other property.  And... they're not likely to go after a tiny Canadian company unless people are seriously impacted.

If our "other countries" examples don't measure up why are you consistently focusing on USA laws and agencies when LTT is based in Canada?

Here's a thing that should put all of this warranty talk to bed.  Directly from the Canadian government, who have sole authority over LMG:

"Manufacturer's warranties are usually not valid from one country to another."

And if you are Canadian and have an issue, there's a long list of steps to take: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/Oca-bc.nsf/eng/h_ca02964.html

BOTTOM LINE... the backpack warranty isn't likely enforceable outside Canada anyway. It might be enforceable in the US if LMG has a business nexus here, but other than that, realistically, your only protection outside Canada - even with the stated warranty - is Linus' word and the reputation of LMG/LTT, which you've had all along.

1 minute ago, GameRetro said:

If our "other countries" examples don't measure up why are you consistently focusing on USA laws and agencies when LTT is based in Canada?

@Stahlmann brought up the US FTC.  This has nothing to do with other countries.

As for US & Canada, it can depend on if LMG has a nexus here - for example, a fulfillment center to avoid cross-border shipping costs and hassles.

3 minutes ago, MAXBattle said:

Here's a thing that should put all of this warranty talk to bed.  Directly from the Canadian government, who have sole authority over LMG:

"Manufacturer's warranties are usually not valid from one country to another."

And if you are Canadian and have an issue, there's a long list of steps to take: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/Oca-bc.nsf/eng/h_ca02964.html

BOTTOM LINE... the backpack warranty isn't likely enforceable outside Canada anyway. It might be enforceable in the US if LMG has a business nexus here, but other than that, realistically, your only protection outside Canada - even with the stated warranty - is Linus' word and the reputation of LMG/LTT, which you've had all along.

I would still like to hear a CA lawyer's opinion on this and more evidence on how online purchases and consumer protection for purchasing stuff online would work if the company is non responsive or not cooperating.

1 minute ago, GameRetro said:

I would still like to hear a CA lawyer's opinion on this and more evidence on how online purchases and consumer protection for purchasing stuff online would work if the company is non responsive or not cooperating.

I provided the link to the actual, official Canadian government page for consumer protection. The warranty quote is from their site, too. A private lawyer would likely just point you to the same or comparable info.

Using common sense... How would a foreign consumer agency even enforce an action against a business not under their jurisdiction?  Unless they have a nexus in a foreign country, that country's laws don't apply - and even then, things aren't totally clear.

I provided the link to the actual, official Canadian government page for consumer protection. The warranty quote is from their site, too. A private lawyer would likely just point you to the same or comparable info.

Using common sense... How would a foreign consumer agency even enforce an action against a business not under their jurisdiction?  Unless they have a nexus in a foreign country, that country's laws don't apply - and even then, things aren't totally clear.

Your enthusiasm aside I would still like someone with more knowledge on the subject to explain this.

And you're still focusing on the wrong bit here, the warranty, and ignoring any argument that this is in fact about more than that. I get your examples about a broken zipper, and I get your example about LMG covering that without any need of explicit warranty (empirically proven thus far).

The main focus of GN video was the actual way Linus handled the whole ordeal (very poorly). You're just running us (the few people that reply to your points) in circles at this point. We get what you're saying, but I would still like to hear more arguments on the points you're making before I can be certain of what's what. There might be hundreds of links besides the ones you provided that have info about the same issues you bring up, and this could well be a thread on it's own where people could go in detail about how actually protected customers are for different kinds of purchases in different countries, with emphasis on online purchases.

And even then, even if legally you can't be held accountable there is the court of public opinion which we circle back to - i.e. communities or peers calling you out on your practices which again Linus has done time and time again for other companies and is now faced with the same thing himself.

It doesn't have to be TV shows it can be other YT channels that safeguard consumers, news outlets, media companies etc. You can be ousted as a "bad company" in the eyes of the public and consumers would be more protected and more cautious dealing with you should it come to that.

1 hour ago, MAXBattle said:

but nobody wants to watch a show about bad zippers

You underestimate some of the things that have ended up on Fair Go here 🙃

Fair Go is a New Zealand consumer affairs television programme hosted by Pippa Wetzell and Hadyn Jones. First aired in 1977, it is New Zealand's second longest-running local programme (after Country Calendar). It is also highest-rated programmes, frequently placed high in the New Zealand TV Guide list of most viewed programmes.

Fair Go features a mixture of investigative journalism and consumer affairs stories, based on the motto: "If you've been ripped off, short-changed or given the runaround and nobody wants to know...we do!"

However, the show will go into battle for as little as one cent (and has), if the issue behind the dispute is an interesting one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Go

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/fair-go-30-years-on-television-2007 (really do suggest you watch this before commenting on what is and is not on this show)

Nothing is too small for one of our highest rated shows on TV 😉

I looked up your Fair Go show.  I doubt they'd take your broken zipper case.  Yes, they take petty cases, but only if the issue behind the dispute is an interesting one.  In other words, ratings. Zippers are boring and people who would blow $250 on a backpack aren't sympathetic.

Then you didn't understand that statement and what it means, Zippers has nothing to do with whether or not the story behind it is interesting.

Look here at this story, the issue behind it seems to be rather interesting even though it's "about a zipper", if you catch my drift.

Zippers is the subject matter, not the backstory which may or may not be interesting.

One other thing... The New Zealand CGA primarily applies to companies IN New Zealand. The government even says that EVEN IF a warranty might apply, enforcement can be difficult.  The NZ gov't isn't going to fly to Canada to get you a new bag.

This literally isn't even the point, don't argue the show, argue the point given. You don't NEED to go to court or go to a lawyer to hold a company to account for a written document, nor if they lack one they should have.

CGA also applies to any company that trades and operates in New Zealand, LTT Store does not. But nobody here is thinking otherwise so I don't know where you want to go with this or what actual relevance to the actual issue at hand.

22 hours ago, GameRetro said:

I don’t think Steve is nearly as partial as we’ve seen Linus to be to take things personally. He’s been shown to be objective time and time again. Linus does confuse company with self, GN doesn’t and I doubt they have any bad feelings towards there being more testing labs for consumer benefit aside from themselves. And I don’t think one lab would lose our due to another, many consumers myself included want to see things being tested by multiple outlets in order to come to a conclusion. 

Come the future when we have test results from LTT or GN and other outlets I think it’s a good rule of thumb to not blindly trust anyone’s results. In science every paper gors through peer review. Human error or test variance can sometimes happen. Trust but verify! Always.

So no, Steve is definitely not jealous or butthurt or in any way responding out of some personal feelings or subjectivity. I also think he has shown a lot of good intent in trying to give weight to concerns that Linus might have ignored due to them coming from random twitter/reddit nonames and basically trying to be the friend that calls you out on some bad take. 

That is how I see it. 

More labs is always good. Our lab reaches out to Intertek and UL all the time either because we lack more sophisticated equipment or want to borrow their credibility to bolster our findings. Its extremely common in this industry, but people seem to have this weird belief that multiple companies existing in the same space is strictly "competition". We've managed to find plenty of mutual coexistence in this particular space simply because when it comes to testing strict tolerances, a second or even third opinion is never a bad idea.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

NAFTA  and USMCA exists for Canada/US trade. But I digress, you keep moving the goal posts on everyone else.

We are not ignorant on the realities of international trade. 

22 minutes ago, starsmine said:

NAFTA  and USMCA exists for Canada/US trade. But I digress, you keep moving the goal posts on everyone else.

We are not ignorant on the realities of international trade. 

Well, no.  NAFTA no longer exists. USMCA replaces it.  But it wouldn't be applicable here anyway. 

I'm not moving a single goalpost.  I've said from the beginning that it was an overblown issue and it is. If anything, the warranty is even less important because it is unenforceable outside Canada.

3 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

@Stahlmann brought up the US FTC.  This has nothing to do with other countries.

As for US & Canada, it can depend on if LMG has a nexus here - for example, a fulfillment center to avoid cross-border shipping costs and hassles.

LMG would be irrelevant to this whatever the holding company that Yvonne and Linus owns would be relevant but as was brought up in much earlier discussions LMG does not and is not really allowed to as a corporation make and sell products, that's why Creator Warehouse exists, it's also why Labs isn't an LMG project it's a project that Linus is funding. Corporations are the legal entities in Canada who get that limited liability and there are laws about company names needing to be descriptive of their industry, that's why you have Media Group, Media, Warehouse, and Labs. Because those corporations industries are media production, media distribution(floatplane media), product design and distribution, and Labs will be providing data solutions/research.

I will say I'm not completely sure why we are still talking about this as it's been rectified even if I will say Linus miscommunication with other C level executives of their business is something I see as not ideal and perhaps an indication that some things should shift to help with communication and so on. They are hiring someone for Human resources so perhaps that can help set up systems to decrease the risk of misscommunication.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Look here at this story, the issue behind it seems to be rather interesting even though it's "about a zipper", if you catch my drift.

Zippers is the subject matter, not the backstory which may or may not be interesting.

This literally isn't even the point, don't argue the show, argue the point given. You don't NEED to go to court or go to a lawyer to hold a company to account for a written document, nor if they lack one they should have.

CGA also applies to any company that trades and operates in New Zealand, LTT Store does not. But nobody here is thinking otherwise so I don't know where you want to go with this or what actual relevance to the actual issue at hand.

You brought up the show. And there is no interesting backstory to this. If anything, a person that would blow $250 on a backpack isn't sympathetic.

You also brought CGA into the conversation. It is utterly irrelevant. The only people the warranty helps are Canadians - and I provided the link to the Canadian government's own website that says a Canadian may have to sue to enforce.

The only thing I've learned from all of this is that it's good to know that if I ever become internet famous I'll never have to worry about paying for therapy, consultants, or lawyers because there's apparently thousands of extremely well qualified people on the Internet that are happy to do it for free.