does directstorage technology requires game to be installed in the nvme drive?

Leaffy

Tittle says it all. Do i have to installed the games in nvme drive, which in case just gonna be that drives loading speed,

or, can install on sata drive(much bigger fo all games i have, around 700gb easily).

And if its like the second case, can anyone explain how does it still help loading games faster, won't it bottlenecked by other drives sata interface??

I searched on google but as usually, its full of marketing gymick words. Couldn't understand how it works.

12 minutes ago, Leaffy said:

Tittle says it all. Do i have to installed the games in nvme drive, which in case just gonna be that drives loading speed,

or, can install on sata drive(much bigger fo all games i have, around 700gb easily).

And if its like the second case, can anyone explain how does it still help loading games faster, won't it bottlenecked by other drives sata interface??

I searched on google but as usually, its full of marketing gymick words. Couldn't understand how it works.

Yup it has to be on an nvme driver.

Basically directstorage right now is not a big deal. A balzing fast nvme 4.0 drive vs itself in direct storage only has a 30-40% improvement. Sounds like a lot but its going from like 5 seconds to 3 seconds. Blazing fast nvme vs ol reliable sata is an improvement of about 50% usually if the game can take advantage of it so going from 10 seconds to 5. otheriwse no diff.

So basically as of right now its very niche and mostly marketing fluff. It does work and do what it says it does but currently isnt used much. Most likely after dropping last gen consoles we will see more of it. However keep in mind that for the first time the primary platform for almost all the big AAA games is using ssd storage so it wouldnt be too big of a surprise that in the long run direct storage wont really matter too much

6 minutes ago, Leaffy said:

the way that it works is your storage drive (regardless of type) will now communicate directly to your GPU core and transfer data directly to the GPUs memory

it used to be storage-memory-cpu-GPU

with direct storage is storage-GPU

as Microsoft said before

it will accelerate the loading speed on all drives but duo to how NVMe drives and GPU communicate over the same PCI-Express bus

game on NVMe drives will load incredibly faster and some features are only available on NVMe drives

when you play a game

the game data which is compressed goes into first memory and then cpu and will get decompress inside the cpu and decompressed files goes to your GPU

with direct storage the compressed data will get decompressed by your GPU much faster and much more efficiently which will lead to waaay faster loading time and eventually so fast that loading screen will no longer be needed

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yup it has to be on an nvme driver.

Basically directstorage right now is not a big deal. A balzing fast nvme 4.0 drive vs itself in direct storage only has a 30-40% improvement. Sounds like a lot but its going from like 5 seconds to 3 seconds. Blazing fast nvme vs ol reliable sata is an improvement of about 50% usually if the game can take advantage of it so going from 10 seconds to 5. otheriwse no diff.

So basically as of right now its very niche and mostly marketing fluff. It does work and do what it says it does but currently isnt used much. Most likely after dropping last gen consoles we will see more of it. However keep in mind that for the first time the primary platform for almost all the big AAA games is using ssd storage so it wouldnt be too big of a surprise that in the long run direct storage wont really matter too much

Doesn't sound helpful for normal/low end users like me for many reasons.

Nvme storage is expensive and sizes are far from enough, rarely have sizes exceeding 1tb/buying multiples of it needs costlier mobo.

Even without focusing on gaming, 2Tb(sata hdd) is almost full. Only 22 games, FH 5 being one of them, 100gb+.

Loading games from sata ssd is already fast. Older games like COD MW 2 loads at instant. 

I assume, nvme should be blazing fast.

In the end, what i understand is, due to the way NVME works, Directstorage could create a mechanism where games files can be transferred directly to GPU.

And due to high transfer rate of nvme, its going to be fast even if the games sizes might be big(i assume in decompressed state?)

Sata hdd/ssd couldn't do the direct loading to gpu yeah? + their transfer rate slow anyway.

Though i have more questions now lol, how abt nvme connected via chipset vs nvme connected via cpu pcie lane(intel 12th gens supports x16 + x4).

Just now, Leaffy said:

Doesn't sound helpful for normal/low end users like me for many reasons.

Nvme storage is expensive and sizes are far from enough, rarely have sizes exceeding 1tb/buying multiples of it needs costlier mobo.

Even without focusing on gaming, 2Tb(sata hdd) is almost full. Only 22 games, FH 5 being one of them, 100gb+.

Loading games from sata ssd is already fast. Older games like COD MW 2 loads at instant. 

I assume, nvme should be blazing fast.

In the end, what i understand is, due to the way NVME works, Directstorage could create a mechanism where games files can be transferred directly to GPU.

And due to high transfer rate of nvme, its going to be fast even if the games sizes might be big(i assume in decompressed state?)

Sata hdd/ssd couldn't do the direct loading to gpu yeah? + their transfer rate slow anyway.

Though i have more questions now lol, how abt nvme connected via chipset vs nvme connected via cpu pcie lane(intel 12th gens supports x16 + x4).

Keep in mind that games got massively bigger because a ton of games stopped compressinf their files a lot. With some leaked docua, info,... there were multiple references to this beinf on purpose so there would ve less space for other games and thus people would have to choose what to have installed and would be less inclined to uninstall a game.

Activision is amongst those we know of doing this purposefully with cod games.

You should see directstorage as directpcielink to the gpu. Doesnt really matter whats plugged in there could be a nvme srive with 1mb/s reads and writes it just needs a pcie link.

Also doesnt matter if its chipset or cpu.

"does directstorage technology requires game to be installed in the nvme drive?"

Yes.

If Capacity is your concern, maybe you can move game files between your NVMe SSD and HDD. I use Steam, and I do a lot of swapping of games between my NVMe SSD to HDD. It does take time to swap out the games, though.

But meh, not many games support Direct Storage as of yet, and NVMe is pretty fast for many games if you run directly from NVMe SSD (that sometimes I don't even have enough time to go to the loo). You're more likely CPU and RAM bound as the game files are being decompressed in your RAM. Direct Storage alleviates CPU from decompressing of file and use GPU instead because GPU is much faster for complex calculations which needed to decompress file.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:43 PM, jaslion said:

Keep in mind that games got massively bigger because a ton of games stopped compressinf their files a lot. With some leaked docua, info,... there were multiple references to this beinf on purpose so there would ve less space for other games and thus people would have to choose what to have installed and would be less inclined to uninstall a game.

Activision is amongst those we know of doing this purposefully with cod games.

You should see directstorage as directpcielink to the gpu. Doesnt really matter whats plugged in there could be a nvme srive with 1mb/s reads and writes it just needs a pcie link.

Also doesnt matter if its chipset or cpu.

yeap, the reason im still using hdd largely for gaming. Its just bigger. Ssd is not enough for me. I still have 2 sata ports left and i can add more hdd. Wish direct loading could be done from sata interface lol.

anyway, noted this tip i guess,

"Doesnt really matter whats plugged in there could be a nvme srive with 1mb/s reads and writes it just needs a pcie link."

On 8/25/2022 at 9:37 AM, Chiyawa said:

"does directstorage technology requires game to be installed in the nvme drive?"

Yes.

If Capacity is your concern, maybe you can move game files between your NVMe SSD and HDD. I use Steam, and I do a lot of swapping of games between my NVMe SSD to HDD. It does take time to swap out the games, though.

But meh, not many games support Direct Storage as of yet, and NVMe is pretty fast for many games if you run directly from NVMe SSD (that sometimes I don't even have enough time to go to the loo). You're more likely CPU and RAM bound as the game files are being decompressed in your RAM. Direct Storage alleviates CPU from decompressing of file and use GPU instead because GPU is much faster for complex calculations which needed to decompress file.

Thanks for the swapping idea. but wont suit me. right after work, i just wanna play games. I don't wanna wait to swap game files lol. Not to forget ssd cells wear out with lots rewrites. especially with lack of free space, the same cells gonna get worn out faster i understand properly.

2 hours ago, Leaffy said:

Thanks for the swapping idea. but wont suit me. right after work, i just wanna play games. I don't wanna wait to swap game files lol. Not to forget ssd cells wear out with lots rewrites. especially with lack of free space, the same cells gonna get worn out faster i understand properly.

Yes, SSD cells will wear out faster this way, but with 256GB SSD is fairly cheap these days, I think this won't be an issue if it's just for swapping game files. But of course, it may be still expensive for you.

Well, other than buying high capacity drive, there doesn't seems to be any other options available.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.