4TB+ NVMe PCIe v3 recommendation ?

lotus321

I have an NMVe enclosure that is limited to PCIe, so I need only go that high for the modules themselves, and am therefore looking for recommendations ?

I read up on the different types of layered cells on offer and for my needs would like the most reliable available, as performance isn't ever going to top more than 8Gbos (1GBps), and assumed the fewest number of bits per cell would achieve this. However, I do need space 4TB+ and also would like to know if Dynamic RAM is the way to go, or SLC, if it's still produced ?

Welcome to the forums!

What is your specific usecase?

You absolutely want DRAM cache

Reliability concern are largely a thing of the past unless you are frequently filling and wiping the drive. I like TLC for OS drive and QLC for mass storage

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Thank you for the welcome !

I plan to run my OS from the external NVMe, of which I mostly browse the web with, but also do a lot of photo management.

I plan to RAID-1 two NVMe module, so there will be a penalty, but with around a four speed increase with what I am used to now it should still be better.

So for me, it's likely TLC then ?

Can you recommend any m.2 please ?

1 hour ago, lotus321 said:

Thank you for the welcome !

I plan to run my OS from the external NVMe, of which I mostly browse the web with, but also do a lot of photo management.

I plan to RAID-1 two NVMe module, so there will be a penalty, but with around a four speed increase with what I am used to now it should still be better.

So for me, it's likely TLC then ?

Can you recommend any m.2 please ?

What os are you running? Windows isn't a huge fan of running from a usb drive, and if you have a sata bay, id use that instead. How are you planning ot setup raid?

But the drive model really won't matter here. Id probably get something like this guy https://www.newegg.com/team-group-4tb-mp34/p/N82E16820331702?Description=4tb m.2&cm_re=4tb_m.2-_-20-331-702-_-Product. Pretty cheap, and more than enough performance. For the uses you listed you won't need a high performance drive.

TLC vs QLC won't matter here. Your likely not to be importing a huge amount of photos at once, and even then, your probably limited by sd cards before the ssd, even with qlc.

I am using macOS, and looking for a RAID-1 setup, just mirroring current work.

The issue for me is endurance, of which I understand TLC to be superior. As I won't be upgrading for a while, I would likely prefer whatever had the best track record.

I take it that MLC would not reach 4TB ?