Just bought a used GTX 1080 off of ebay

Llouis69

The seller said it was used for gaming, but me being me is slightly concerned as to how long it'll last, any idea how long it could last?

Idk, 6 more years. Maybe 10. How long are you gonna use it without changing the thermal paste or thermal pads? Is the place it being used have proper voltage?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

A GPU will last a nice long time if you maintain it. Of course a seller can tell you it was used for one thing and you'd have no way of knowing if they're telling the truth

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah could last 10 minutes, could last for years. Contrary to popular belief, how the card was used doesn't really make a difference to its potential lifespan. Heck, miners often take better care of their cards than gamers anyway.

From my experience the fans are often the first thing to go on GPUs and that's fixable:

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

No way for anyone to know, and that's the risk you take with buying used items.

Just enjoy the lower price you paid, and use it for as long as it lasts. You're guaranteed against DOA.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is just part of participating in the used part market.

Unless you've been scammed, a GTX 1080 should continue to function for many years to come from a hardware perspective.

However, it will no longer be receiving driver updates and will not be compatible with future DX releases so it will age considerably. If you intend to play games using DX11 and older, you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Idk, 6 more years. Maybe 10. How long are you gonna use it without changing the thermal paste or thermal pads? Is the place it being used have proper voltage?

i didnt know there was thermal paste or thermal pads to be changed on it 

1 hour ago, tim0901 said:

Yeah could last 10 minutes, could last for years. Contrary to popular belief, how the card was used doesn't really make a difference to its potential lifespan. Heck, miners often take better care of their cards than gamers anyway.

From my experience the fans are often the first thing to go on GPUs and that's fixable:

how does one take care of a gpu regularly? 

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

A GPU will last a nice long time if you maintain it. Of course a seller can tell you it was used for one thing and you'd have no way of knowing if they're telling the truth

How does one maintain a gpu may i ask

8 minutes ago, Llouis69 said:

i didnt know there was thermal paste or thermal pads to be changed on it 

Its the exact same as almost every motherboard. TIm and pads tend to be used.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Its the exact same as almost every motherboard. TIm and pads tend to be used.

Sorry, but i dont understand, the thermal paste doesn't go onto the gpu? it goes on the mother board? or is that the pads

Just now, Llouis69 said:

Sorry, but i dont understand, the thermal paste doesn't go onto the gpu? it goes on the mother board? or is that the pads

Im saying the same as a mobo would require those things, so would a graphics card. Which has been shown countless times on ltt videos. 

13 minutes ago, Llouis69 said:

If the thermal paste hasn't been replaced in like 5 years, open the cooler and check how dry it is. A refresh of paste can be well worth it, see if any of the thermal pads are dry and cracked, and while you're down there check if any of the fans are giving some resistance when you spin them.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

58 minutes ago, Llouis69 said:

As others have mentioned, replacing the thermal paste is a good idea if it has gone dry. Otherwise just making sure it isn't clogged with dust/pet hair. There's a (albeit quite old at this point) LTT video on how to do this:

This wasn't exactly what I was referring to in my comment though (although miners do likely clean their cards more often than most gamers...) Miners generally undervolt their GPUs to make them more efficiently, as well as mount them on what are effectively open-air testbenches, meaning their cards are generally running at lower temperatures which is (generally speaking) better for silicon longevity. Compare that to your gaming GPU that's been in a poorly-ventilated case hitting 90C+ and not cleaned in 3 years...

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB