Upgrade recommendations for motherboard

Styq

Budget (including currency): 700PLN, around 200 CA$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA games (RDR2, Cyberpunk), and online shooters (Overwatch, Valorant)

Other details 

Looking to upgrade my current motherboard, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I like the Asus ones, and was looking leaning towards the Asus Prime B-550 plus

Current specs are:

ASUS B-350f gaming mobo

Ryzen 7 3800X

16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz ram (going to add 2 more sticks for 32GB)

GTX 1060 6GB (To be upgraded to 3070 or 3070ti)

Just now, Ryuikko said:

Any reason why you're upgrading your mobo? That's usually not the part you upgrade until you switch to a new cpu

I did upgrade the CPU from Ryzen 5 1600. Also I have a m.2 SSD for PCI e gen 4, current board only has support for gen 3. Also I had some troubles with one of the ram slots, troubles with PC turning on

personally i'd hold off unless you have a specific need to replace your mobo  what form factor do you prefer?

if you want all out performanace go the ROG crosshair VIII extreme although its EATX Asus hero is a top performer for ATX or the Asrock Steel Legend

personal choice for me is the X570-I ran one 24/7 for the past couple of years without issue but again pricey unless you really need MITX

4 minutes ago, Sormicoft said:

personally i'd hold off unless you have a specific need to replace your mobo  what form factor do you prefer?

if you want all out performanace go the ROG crosshair VIII extreme although its EATX Asus hero is a top performer for ATX or the Asrock Steel Legend

personal choice for me is the X570-I ran one 24/7 for the past couple of years without issue but again pricey unless you really need MITX

I have an ATX board currently. I'm mostly wondering if there are any measurable benefits from what I have currently, when I eventually buy the new GPU (looking to buy a 3070, current board doesn't have support for pcie gen4)

tbh in the real world no

not unless you want to benchmark and share epeen numbers you'll not notice much of a difference, 

personally i'd hold on with what you have (i cant talk as i've updated my work rig with a 5900x from a 3600 as the prices were too good to refuse

but i wouldnt be looking to upgrade atm otherwise  as next step up is a whole different level especially if you stick with AMD PCIE 5.0 DDR5 and the new Ryzen 7000 series looks fantastic vfm 

in regards to your 3070  as long as your using a x16 slot you will not see any performance difference 3.0 to 4.0  although i honestly cant say if that will hold up down the line with the push for directstorage in W11 as the first games are due this year on PC that support this. but for now there is 0 difference with a 3070/3080  on PCIE 3.0 to 4.0

3 minutes ago, Sormicoft said:

tbh in the real world no

not unless you want to benchmark and share epeen numbers you'll not notice much of a difference, 

personally i'd hold on with what you have (i cant talk as i've updated my work rig with a 5900x from a 3600 as the prices were too good to refuse

but i wouldnt be looking to upgrade atm otherwise  as next step up is a whole different level especially if you stick with AMD PCIE 5.0 DDR5 and the new Ryzen 7000 series looks fantastic vfm 

in regards to your 3070  as long as your using a x16 slot you will not see any performance difference 3.0 to 4.0  although i honestly cant say if that will hold up down the line with the push for directstorage in W11 as the first games are due this year on PC that support this. but for now there is 0 difference with a 3070/3080  on PCIE 3.0 to 4.0

Ok, thanks for the help 🙂

18 minutes ago, Styq said:

did upgrade the CPU from Ryzen 5 1600. Also I have a m.2 SSD for PCI e gen 4, current board only has support for gen 3. Also I had some troubles with one of the ram slots, troubles with PC turning on

Pcie gen 4 support doesn't really matter with drives since games aren't that taxing on the drive, and the bandwidth dosent really show unless you're moving large files around frequently

If you're sure it's your mobo with those problems, then the b550 steel legend is a good choice with the b550 taichi being ideal

Though if probably wait for eventual price drops you'd see with am5 release anyways

1 hour ago, Sormicoft said:

Asus b550 and x570 are abhorrent garbage due to ram topology, they top out at a meager 4533 ish while even that steel legend can do 5000

not a top performer thats for sure, thatd go to the b550 unify x, all these high end boards have stupid overkill vrm so doesnt matter at all, only ram oc can be focused on as thats what gives real performance diff which is also affected by board choice cause its 4533 garbage on asus b550/x570 (itx boards likely excluded), to 5000 on pretty much anything (from a b550mh to steel legend to tomahawk, most are capable of 5000), then just stupid overkill boards that can run 6000+ like the unify x or aorus master but this is just xoc territory at this point

1 hour ago, Styq said:

I did upgrade the CPU from Ryzen 5 1600. Also I have a m.2 SSD for PCI e gen 4, current board only has support for gen 3. Also I had some troubles with one of the ram slots, troubles with PC turning on

Gen4 is useless garbage atm, any ssd faster than a sata one is as fast as you go as any faster is just not noticable unless you do heavy r/w stuff like vid editing

And which ram slot is giving you issues?

Just wait for next gen, board upgrade is generally uneccesary and you just buy a board and keep it till the next gen w diff socket launches and then upgrade to the new socket, b350f is a decent mid range board so just wait for am5 or 14th gen depending on what ship you wanna jump on. and btw mobo DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE TO PERFORMANCE atleast not directly, it can contribute via higher ram oc (but you need dimms with good ics), power delivery so cpu dont throttle (other than the most lowend of boards this can be completely ignored), etc. Basically indirect contributions via overclocking which for cpus is pretty dead but ram and gpu oc is still alive and well, dont look for an oc centric board if you arent gonna use it to its full potential