Corsair RM850 2019 fan replacement

The_Hackintosh

Hiya guys, today i come with an strange question

Is the replacement of my RM850 2019 PSU fan possible?

I did some research and did not find a solution.

The fan that is going to be replaced is this hong-hua: HA1425M12F-Z

Exact PSU: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127.html

The replacemnt is possible for sure, but i want the PSU to control the fan and not the Mobo, because the PSU should set the curve itself, thats my problem

The nearest fan that resembles the HA1425M12F-Z is the HA1425M12Y-Z with S/C/B/F bearing types, so i guess that the last letter of mine is F, it would be the HA1425M12-Z F variant?

The HA1425M12Y-Z is the only one possible from the honghua catalog because its the only one drawing exactly 0.36A, like the one on my Corsair Unit. It should ramp up because its also 12V but whats the starting voltage of the honghua? that matters....

Attached honghua fan info and redlined the suspected fan in my unit.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 210831.png

Ryzen 9 5950X Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 V2  MSI RX 6750XT Corsair HX1200 3xLL120 Fans 7xA12x25 Fans 5000D Airflow Vengeance RGB PRO 1.450 @ 4133MHz CPU Cooler: NH-U12A

7 minutes ago, The_Hackintosh said:

Exact PSU: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127.html

The replacemnt is possible for sure, but i want the PSU to control the fan and not the Mobo, because the PSU should set the curve itself, thats my problem

The nearest fan that resembles the HA1425M12F-Z is the HA1425M12Y-Z with S/C/B/F bearing types, so i guess that the last letter of mine is F, it would be the HA1425M12-Z F variant?

The HA1425M12Y-Z is the only one possible from the honghua catalog because its the only one drawing exactly 0.36A, like the one on my Corsair Unit. It should ramp up because its also 12V but whats the starting voltage of the honghua? that matters....

Is the fan dead? Or is the PSU just in 0rpm mode?

The PSU is also still under warranty if it is dead and you would rather not open up a PSU (which can potentially kill you if you don’t properly discharge the caps and accidentally touch one). But if you do it yourself, I’d likely go with a low RPM noctua personally. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

36 minutes ago, The_Hackintosh said:

Why are you wanting to replace a fan in a PSU that's not even three years old (assuming it was purchased when it first came out)????????

15 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Is the fan dead? Or is the PSU just in 0rpm mode?

The PSU is also still under warranty if it is dead and you would rather not open up a PSU (which can potentially kill you if you don’t properly discharge the caps and accidentally touch one). But if you do it yourself, I’d likely go with a low RPM noctua personally. 

The PSU has an 0rpm mode that can’t be disabled. The fan makes an unpleasant noise in my full noctua pc and is the loudest component. I don’t want to wait for an RMA that is going to be declined like my CV550 with an also loud fan. And I am willing to risk my life for an potentially quieter PSU.

Ryzen 9 5950X Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 V2  MSI RX 6750XT Corsair HX1200 3xLL120 Fans 7xA12x25 Fans 5000D Airflow Vengeance RGB PRO 1.450 @ 4133MHz CPU Cooler: NH-U12A

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why are you wanting to replace a fan in a PSU that's not even three years old (assuming it was purchased when it first came out)????????

To make it quieter

3 hours ago, The_Hackintosh said:

The PSU has an 0rpm mode that can’t be disabled. The fan makes an unpleasant noise in my full noctua pc and is the loudest component. I don’t want to wait for an RMA that is going to be declined like my CV550 with an also loud fan. And I am willing to risk my life for an potentially quieter PSU.

I can’t believe it would be that loud, but I guess it’s possible you have a bad unit. I have a rm850x, and previously had a rm650i. I could never hear the fan of either unit. That’s unfortunate. 

Obviously it’s not worth risking your life over…. But if you are careful and know what your doing, it can be done. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

8700K + RTX 2060 and a RM850 2019 that's on 0 fan mode up to 300w. I doubt the fan start to turn at all in your system.

59 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I can’t believe it would be that loud, but I guess it’s possible you have a bad unit. I have a rm850x, and previously had a rm650i. I could never hear the fan of either unit. That’s unfortunate. 

Obviously it’s not worth risking your life over…. But if you are careful and know what your doing, it can be done. 

My dad opened sereval units. Never had issues. That hero will be assisting me with the PSU like he did with G12‘ig my GPU. Dad FTW

1 hour ago, The_Hackintosh said:

My dad opened sereval units. Never had issues. That hero will be assisting me with the PSU like he did with G12‘ig my GPU. Dad FTW

Are you sure this fan is the issue here tho? It is spinning? I used to run a 8700k @5ghz all core and a 1080 at 2025Mhz, I don’t think my rm650i fan even turned on. I used to set it to turn on via software simply because I couldn’t hear the fan anyways while in game wince the rest of my system fans would be at ~800 rpm which was faster and louder then the PSU fan… and this was me manually forcing the fan on, if I did nothing it wouldn’t even spin. I don’t remember off hand, maybe the 650i was 0 fan mode up to 50% load, but still if yours is 0rpm up to 300 watts, I can’t see that PSU fan spinning very fast, the 2060’s fans must be louder. 

7 hours ago, The_Hackintosh said:

To make it quieter

7 hours ago, The_Hackintosh said:

Why was the CV warranty denied?

And replacing the fan would not disable the zero RPM fan mode since that is dictated by the fan controller.

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Are you sure this fan is the issue here tho? It is spinning? I used to run a 8700k @5ghz all core and a 1080 at 2025Mhz, I don’t think my rm650i fan even turned on. I used to set it to turn on via software simply because I couldn’t hear the fan anyways while in game wince the rest of my system fans would be at ~800 rpm which was faster and louder then the PSU fan… and this was me manually forcing the fan on, if I did nothing it wouldn’t even spin. I don’t remember off hand, maybe the 650i was 0 fan mode up to 50% load, but still if yours is 0rpm up to 300 watts, I can’t see that PSU fan spinning very fast, the 2060’s fans must be louder. 

2060 is on a G12/ Kraken X53 Rad, on 0 rpm. Cant be that. When i turn off the case fans, unplug the HDD and Speakers to eliminate static and moving parts, DAMN HUMMING, unplug the Pump HUMMING, i hit both, CPU and GPU i7 is taking 120 watts steady and peaking just on 150. 1.425V to be exact (Custom thermal grease "IC Diamond" replication DIY experiment or whatever, peaking to 97C. 2060 is taking 170 - 175 Watts at stock, flashed i think an higher end bios, it takes 180-ish now, i manage stable 2100 MHz on that bad boi cuz im not thermally limited. it takes well over 300 Watts if i count in the excess amount of fans, Chipset cooling that i added, RGB Strips yeah more than 300W. The fan spins and is audible, makes an unpleasant noise.

1 minute ago, The_Hackintosh said:

2060 is on a G12/ Kraken X53 Rad, on 0 rpm. Cant be that. When i turn off the case fans, unplug the HDD and Speakers to eliminate static and moving parts, DAMN HUMMING, unplug the Pump HUMMING, i hit both, CPU and GPU i7 is taking 120 watts steady and peaking just on 150. 1.425V to be exact (Custom thermal grease "IC Diamond" replication DIY experiment or whatever, peaking to 97C. 2060 is taking 170 - 175 Watts at stock, flashed i think an higher end bios, it takes 180-ish now, i manage stable 2100 MHz on that bad boi cuz im not thermally limited. it takes well over 300 Watts if i count in the excess amount of fans, Chipset cooling that i added, RGB Strips yeah more than 300W. The fan spins and is audible, makes an unpleasant noise.

So the PSU is fan and making an "unpleasant noise".  What is the "unpleasant noise"?

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why was the CV warranty denied?

And replacing the fan would not disable the zero RPM fan mode since that is dictated by the fan controller.

That was some time ago, maybe it changed but yeah, i reported coil whine and the loud fan. It was not "declined" per-se but it was an real fuckin headache to go trough and convine Corsair, then shipping effed up, and the Swiss boarder decided to open an "declared" package and make me pay 20$. My options are the noctua or an Seasonic 1000+

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

So the PSU is fan and making an "unpleasant noise".  What is the "unpleasant noise"?

Kinda failing bearing. Like the gigabyte fans with failing sleeve bearing. google gigabyte fan scratching. Thats why i G12'ed my Gigashyte 2060 and the reason i will need to replace the fan in my 850. also to make my build noctua only in the term of fans.

4 minutes ago, The_Hackintosh said:

Kinda failing bearing. Like the gigabyte fans with failing sleeve bearing. google gigabyte fan scratching. Thats why i G12'ed my Gigashyte 2060 and the reason i will need to replace the fan in my 850. also to make my build noctua only in the term of fans.

So you're in Europe and just need to ship it to the Netherlands?

If yo use words like "failing bearing" in your RMA request as opposed to "unpleasant noise", you'll probably get an RMA right away.  Heck... They might actually advance replace it.

I'll tell you what.... go ahead and put in a ticket, DM me your information and ticket number, and I can get that moving for you.

Otherwise, you're just wasting your 10 year warranty and risking the replacement fan not operating properly.

20 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'll tell you what.... go ahead and put in a ticket, DM me your information and ticket number, and I can get that moving for you.

Otherwise, you're just wasting your 10 year warranty and risking the replacement fan not operating properly.

I already have the noctua. I mean heck why not try anyways? The hong hua on my friends unit (3070 ti) also RM850 is wayyy quieter. It would be a waste to not try the noctua too. Il see if i can power it from the PSU header. Il inform you later how it went.

Thx for you kindness though.

Btw i really want to try that, im just born that way. I hope the risk pays off and i can enjoy the PSU for a few great years.

Edited by The_Hackintosh

1 hour ago, The_Hackintosh said:

I already have the noctua. I mean heck why not try anyways? The hong hua on my friends unit (3070 ti) also RM850 is wayyy quieter. It would be a waste to not try the noctua too. Il see if i can power it from the PSU header. Il inform you later how it went.

The Noctua isn't going to work properly. I'm telling you that right now.

But I guess if you're going to void the warranty any ways, if it keeps shutting off from OTP, you can always put the old fan back in.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

The Noctua isn't going to work properly. I'm telling you that right now.

But I guess if you're going to void the warranty any ways, if it keeps shutting off from OTP, you can always put the old fan back in.

Yeah I know that. I will be setting the curve from the mosfet temp maybe? (Mobo curve) and sure if it won’t work then il just order a Hong hua from alibaba and take the L with the Noctua. I really really appreciate your help though. Never thought il come across so many kind souls here even willing to fix the RMA-outside-Switzerland issues.

Il let you know for sure how it went. My dad will be back soon from work so il go ahead do my hw and prepare the screwdrivers!

8 hours ago, The_Hackintosh said:

Yeah I know that. I will be setting the curve from the mosfet temp maybe?

The fan speed is controlled by the temperature of the +12V SR MOSFET.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The fan speed is controlled by the temperature of the +12V SR MOSFET.

Like in the BIOS? i can set CPU-Based fan curve. or and BIOS MOSFET Curve?

2 hours ago, The_Hackintosh said:

Like in the BIOS? i can set CPU-Based fan curve. or and BIOS MOSFET Curve?

Oh.  I thought you were asking what controlled the PSU fan speed.  

The PSU's fan speed is controlled by how how the +12V SR MOSFETs get.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, The_Hackintosh said:

Thx for you kindness though.

Btw i really want to try that, im just born that way. I hope the risk pays off and i can enjoy the PSU for a few great years.

I tried a Silent Wings replacement on my AX1500i....it doesn't play nice with 6 pole fans which I think Noctua is as well.   It would report 300rpm or something in iCue when it was stopped, eventually it would click off because it thought the fan wasn't working at all when it wouldn't spin up at <40% speed and still report 300rpm.  You're not even going to get this information on a non-i series PSU.

(I replaced it with an older Noctua P14 and it seemed to be OK with that)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I tried a Silent Wings replacement on my AX1500i....it doesn't play nice with 6 pole fans which I think Noctua is as well.   It would report 300rpm or something in iCue when it was stopped, eventually it would click off because it thought the fan wasn't working at all when it wouldn't spin up at <40% speed and still report 300rpm.  You're not even going to get this information on a non-i series PSU.

(I replaced it with an older Noctua P14 and it seemed to be OK with that)

Oh, cool.  I didn't know you eventually found a fan that worked.  😄 I remember that thread.

There's one fast, easy option for <1000W PSUs that already had a gentle fan curve, and that's running the fan off the motherboard at a fixed value (ideally). Running a curve out of GPU temps can work if the CPU doesn't use many watts (12400/F, 12500/F, 12600/F, 5600/x). 

For just running fixed value, best option is a fan that can spin as fast as possible while being quiet, so a LCP material made one. And one with great longevity with 5+ years. Noctua A12x25 is the best option, followed by MSI SIlent Gale P12, Scythe Wondersnail.

Fan life longevity:

1. Noctua A12x25 - 150,000 hours

2. Scythe Wondersnail - 120,000 hours

3. MSI Silent Gale P12 - 50,000 hours 

MSI does have a more basic bearing/motor, but MSI is using their fan in their new PCIE5 PSUs, so they're at least somewhat confident it's good for the application (meaning it's rifled inside and outside, and has a great chance of running at least 4,5 years without changes in noise). I'd still go with the Noctua, though, and run it fixed on at least 1200RPM, or more if the noise permits it (as fast as you're comfortable for daily use).