AMD FX-8350 underclocks under load

tddk25
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
8 hours ago, tddk25 said:

Sorry, what I was meaning was if I should use an industrial fan for the exhaust, then use the one I already have for the intake?

Ok in that case it would be an improvement. Two intake fans and one exhaust is a pretty standard layout for airflow and often has some of the best results for much smaller and/or older cases.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Small cases are known for that, sounds like you just don't have enough airflow going through it.
I don't know what size case you have but if wanting a different case, go for one with plenty of room inside if you can. That does mean at least a midtower case or better but the trade off is more room internally to let air flow, plus those tend to have room for more fans if you need them.
However I'd see about dealing with obstructions to airflow first as described earlier, any cables sticking out or just in a wad where the air would normally flow will impede airflow so look at that first and see if it makes any difference for you once done. Zipties are really handy for tidying up things in that regard.

It's probably just a poorly designed case. It's NZXT's old H210 mid-tower case. I do have it cable-managed pretty well.

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.

How about this. I'll play a little bit of star wars battlefront 2 and see if it still thermal throttles, because when I play I usually get a solid 60 fps on low-med settings. Just to be sure it's not just acting weird from the stress test.

1 hour ago, tddk25 said:

It's probably just a poorly designed case. It's NZXT's old H210 mid-tower case. I do have it cable-managed pretty well.

I looked at that, the case seems OK and does have a slot for a fan at the top.

1 hour ago, tddk25 said:

How about this. I'll play a little bit of star wars battlefront 2 and see if it still thermal throttles, because when I play I usually get a solid 60 fps on low-med settings. Just to be sure it's not just acting weird from the stress test.

Do that, just bear in mind stress testing a system is placing it under a load it will hardly ever see with general useage so that may be it.
Try it for awhile and see what it does.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

12 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I looked at that, the case seems OK and does have a slot for a fan at the top.

Ok well, I'm not 100% sure exactly what case it is, but it is an older NZXT case that doesn't have the best airflow. I always have my case fans running at 1200 rpm, but should I use two more fans as intake?

I won't have a whole lot of free time this week so it might be a bit before I get back to you guys.

PXL_20220818_173014103.jpg

PXL_20220818_173116554.jpg

Yes, if you can set some fans there, that will help.

That's actually a case I woudn't mind having, it's an older one but it's also a solid build case too, I like them like that.

The fan at the very bottom may induce problems with dust, I'd only have fans at the front - Dust always goes to the bottom of wherever and you can bet that bottom fan is sucking it up and into the case.

Also - Georgia fan right?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

14 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Also - Georgia fan right?

Nah my HS mascot is the bulldogs 😄

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

The fan at the very bottom may induce problems with dust, I'd only have fans at the front - Dust always goes to the bottom of wherever and you can bet that bottom fan is sucking it up and into the case.

I would move it, but having the fan there lowers my gpu temps by about 10°C.

21 hours ago, tddk25 said:

While I was playing my CPU averaged at 3.7 GHz with one dip of 1.4 GHz and got a little over 70°C. I also noticed a bit of lag that I hadn't noticed during previous times I've played.

Have you removed the CPU cooler to re-TIM it yet?

I can say for all AM3/AM3+ systems placing a small fan in to blow at the socket area sometimes helps with things like this - Esp with AM3+/FX stuff.

Have you removed the CPU cooler to re-TIM it yet?

I reapplied TIM a couple months ago when I replaced my mobo.

I can say for all AM3/AM3+ systems placing a small fan in to blow at the socket area sometimes helps with things like this - Esp with AM3+/FX stuff.

Yeah my socket temps were getting upwards of 75°C.

Where would be a good place to put a fan though?

PXL_20220818_173116554.jpg

Edited by tddk25

Can't really say except wherever you can get it so it blows on the socket area itself - Aside from that wherever you can get it to mount up for that purpose.

Are you able to go on Facebook market and get some cheap 120mm fans? Extra airflow should do this case some good. Even one additional fan in the upper fan slot would be nice.

18 hours ago, tddk25 said:

I would move it, but having the fan there lowers my gpu temps by about 10°C.

Fresh air comes in, goes to the GPU, GPU heats it up and dumps it on the CPU. No wonder the CPU is sweating a bit.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Must agree - The case has little vents for air where those fan slots are - Load those slots with some fans, it can only help things.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:59 PM, Beerzerker said:

You're trying to OC a chip with a cooler only made to run it at stock speed in the first place.

I have done that on my FX 8320E and it works just fine...

I overclocked it to 4.15GHz on the stock cooler with the help of good airflow (front mesh,good quality fans)

Most FX boards have cheap VRMs that will throttle the CPU to 1.4GHz if thr VRMs overheat - and those cheap crap VRMs tend to do just that when the airflow is not good or very bad.

Good airflow is a must on most FX system.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:59 PM, Beerzerker said:

All FX coolers I've ever seen (And I've had quite a few of them) never had a LED ring on them, red or whatever so you must be talking about something that looks like a stock cooler but it's not, or maybe one of the AM4 stock Wraith coolers.

In 2017 AMD bundled wraith coolers with FX processors.

Don't know why people bought those since these CPUs were obselete/outdated at the time but that was a thing.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I have done that on my FX 8320E and it works just fine...

I overclocked it to 4.15GHz on the stock cooler with the help of good airflow (front mesh,good quality fans)

Most FX boards have cheap VRMs that will throttle the CPU to 1.4GHz if thr VRMs overheat - and those cheap crap VRMs tend to do just that when the airflow is not good or very bad.

Good airflow is a must on most FX system.

In 2017 AMD bundled wraith coolers with FX processors.

Don't know why people bought those since these CPUs were obselete/outdated at the time but that was a thing.

This I can believe, they can run 4.1 without issue as long as they have what they need to do it with.

BTW I did check the box of the 8350 I bought new in 2019 and yes, it has a Wraith-style cooler in it. 👌
I have no prob admitting if I'm wrong and actually happy to have it, I may need it one day.

5 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Are you able to go on Facebook market and get some cheap 120mm fans? Extra airflow should do this case some good. Even one additional fan in the upper fan slot would be nice.

Fresh air comes in, goes to the GPU, GPU heats it up and dumps it on the CPU. No wonder the CPU is sweating a bit.

If I can, should I find an industrial fan something like a Noctua iPPC for the exhaust to help dissipate the heat faster?

46 minutes ago, tddk25 said:

If I can, should I find an industrial fan something like a Noctua iPPC for the exhaust to help dissipate the heat faster?

Why replace the exhaust fan when you already have one? My suggestion is to add a fan or two, not replace the ones you currently have.

Proper airflow from multiple fans will trump one really good fan, when it comes to a full setup inside your case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Why replace the exhaust fan when you already have one? My suggestion is to add a fan or two, not replace the ones you currently have.

Proper airflow from multiple fans will trump one really good fan, when it comes to a full setup inside your case.

Sorry, what I was meaning was if I should use an industrial fan for the exhaust, then use the one I already have for the intake?

8 hours ago, tddk25 said:

Ok in that case it would be an improvement. Two intake fans and one exhaust is a pretty standard layout for airflow and often has some of the best results for much smaller and/or older cases.

Primary PC:

So I was just backing up my PC with AOEMI Backupper since Windows 7 backup and restore is garbage, and during the backup my PC did this:

image.thumb.jpeg.4da5deb0909bc0708a991265eda2273b.jpeg

then restarted.