First build in 6 years. (Compatibility help)

Byl_le

Budget (including currency): $4,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Lightroom, photoshop, apex, valorant, GTA

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have all the peripherals chosen and purchased already. 

I was setting up my parts through Micro Centers custom pc builder and wanted to make sure the parts I have would work with each other/ fit into the case I chose. It does say it has a compatibility checker on the website but in order to add the GPU I wanted I had to disable that, making me think something doesn’t quite match up. I’ll put below the full list of each part. I’m open to suggestions on part swap outs as well if there’s something better or recommended higher for what I’m looking to do with it. 

CPU: Intel I7 12700k

Motherboard: ASUS Z690-F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2 16’s) DDR5 5200 

Case: NZXT 510 elite

Power supply: Seasonic 1000W 80 plus Gold

GPU: ASUS RTX 3080ti (considering a 3090 but not sold on that) 

SSD 2.5”: Samsung - 870 EVO 2TB

Water Cooling: Lian Li - Galahad 360mm

Thanks for any and all help with this. It’s been a while since I’ve looked into anything PC related so it’s been a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out what is good and not so good now and what fits and doesn’t fit in these cases, especially with how big the GPU’s have gotten. 

Just use pc part picker.com its a custom pc builder with built in compatibility support. It offers way more compatability checking than any other tool.

2 minutes ago, LIETZIBOY said:

Just use pc part picker.com its a custom pc builder with built in compatibility support. It offers way more compatability checking than any other tool.

I’ll definitely check that out, I forgot about that site. Thank you! 

How strong do you need this build to be? Because 4k can get you an extreme overkill system like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B2C26r

But if you won't benefit from the extra horsepower, there's not really a point to spend that much money on it

18 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

How strong do you need this build to be? Because 4k can get you an extreme overkill system like this

But if you won't benefit from the extra horsepower, there's not really a point to spend that much money on it

It doesn’t have to be super over kill, 4K is just where I’d like to cap out at if needed. Realistically the hardest it’d be pushed would be some 2k resolution gaming on some single player games and then the processing for photo and video editing. I’m planning on streaming but I figured this set up would have no problem with that

21 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I’m also trying to go a bit overkill on certain parts like GPU/ CPU so I wouldn’t have to upgrade for quite a while

1 hour ago, Byl_le said:

CPU: Intel I7 12700k

Motherboard: ASUS Z690-F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2 16’s) DDR5 5200 

Case: NZXT 510 elite

Power supply: Seasonic 1000W 80 plus Gold

GPU: ASUS RTX 3080ti (considering a 3090 but not sold on that) 

SSD 2.5”: Samsung - 870 EVO 2TB

Water Cooling: Lian Li - Galahad 360mm

The case is known for less than ideal airflow.

These days NVMe drives are price competitive with SATA SSD.

The H510 Elite cannot house a 360 AIO.

Some suggestions:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900 2.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($508.49 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($260.63 @ MemoryC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB SUPRIM X Video Card  ($1048.43 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2837.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-12 14:22 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

57 minutes ago, brob said:

Some suggestions:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($260.63 @ MemoryC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB SUPRIM X Video Card  ($1048.43 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 

Thank you for this! This definitely looks a lot better than what I had set and definitely a bit cheaper for more power and efficiency 

1 hour ago, brob said:

Some suggestions:

PCPartPicker Part List

I do have one question, for cooling with the processor, is a heat sink or liquid cooling recommended one over the other for these 12th gen CPU’s? I’ve always done liquid cooking on my old setups but I’ve heard these newer processors can sometimes run a bit on the hot side

1 hour ago, Byl_le said:

I do have one question, for cooling with the processor, is a heat sink or liquid cooling recommended one over the other for these 12th gen CPU’s? I’ve always done liquid cooking on my old setups but I’ve heard these newer processors can sometimes run a bit on the hot side

My preference is for air towers. Mostly because they are more reliable and don't have the limited life of an AIO. Performance between 240 AIO and large air towers is roughly equivalent.  

The i9-12900 has a max processor power of 202W, well within the cooling envelope of the AK620. But if an AIO was preferred, a good 240 model would do the job.

The i9-12900K, on the other hand, has a max processor power of 241W. Which is near the limits of large air coolers. A 360 AIO is a good choice for that CPU.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

My preference is for air towers. Mostly because they are more reliable and don't have the limited life of an AIO. Performance between 240 AIO and large air towers is roughly equivalent.  

The i9-12900 has a max processor power of 202W, well within the cooling envelope of the AK620. But if an AIO was preferred, a good 240 model would do the job.

The i9-12900K, on the other hand, has a max processor power of 241W. Which is near the limits of large air coolers. A 360 AIO is a good choice for that CPU.

Awesome! Thanks for the insight with that. You’ve definitely helped me out a lot on this. The processor and cooling have been my main concern based off what I had seen on some of the LTT videos, and for most of the videos they were using the 12900k and liquid cooling so wanted to make sure I didn’t mess that up 

A side note with @brob's build is that id either get a unlocked cpu with ddr5 or a locked cpu with ddr4. Non k cpus pretty much have a impossible task to run ddr5 at xmp without going into gear 2

5 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

A side note with @brob's build is that id either get a unlocked cpu with ddr5 or a locked cpu with ddr4. Non k cpus pretty much have a impossible task to run ddr5 at xmp without going into gear 2

My plan was to go with a K board for that reason, which is why my list up too had the 12700k. I figured that CPU would give me good performance and be a bit easier to cool than the 12900k