I5 2500K

-16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

-128GB ssd sata & 1TB HDD

-GTX1660

I5 1135G7

-20GB DDR4 3200MHz

-512GB Nvme m.2 & 1Tb HDD

-Intel Iris XE graphic

If my use is playing some games and video editing.

In terms of CPU performance? No question the laptop will win in straight CPU renders, be it video encode, blender renders, etc. In terms of gaming performance, the GPU in the desktop is leagues ahead of Xe Graphics, and I'd expect the desktop to pull ahead pretty significantly. 

Since you can usually offload a decent chunk of the video rendering process to the GPU, the desktop should match the CPU for most of what you're doing, so it would likely be a bit more of a wash. I'd still want the desktop though, it's a lot cheaper and/or easier to do a CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade to the desktop than it is to do a GPU upgrade to the laptop. 

I’d say the desktop since it had the 1660.Depending on what board, you can upgrade the cpu for cheap.

15 minutes ago, Matz. said:

If my use is playing some games and video editing.

Honestly both will not be good at both usecases.

The laptop has the far better cpu so thats a lot better for editing (not a good cpu for editing however) the desktop has a MUCH MUCH MUCH better gpu so far better for gaming but that cpu is very low end so that will severly hurt the gaming experience and in games from the last 5 years expect a massive amount of stutters.

So yeah neither system is the clear winner here. Both won't do well in both scenario's

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Honestly both will not be good at both usecases.

The laptop has the far better cpu so thats a lot better for editing (not a good cpu for editing however) the desktop has a MUCH MUCH MUCH better gpu so far better for gaming but that cpu is very low end so that will severly hurt the gaming experience and in games from the last 5 years expect a massive amount of stutters.

What if the cpu used in desktop is I7 3770K?

Just now, Matz. said:

What if the cpu used in desktop is I7 3770K?

Better but honestly at this point it's the absolute bare minimum to keep 60fps in games. That and the moment the ps4/xbox one are dropped that i7 will stop being enough for games. It's actually already starting to happen too.

So my advice would be do not spend money on that old lga1155 socket and do a upgrade to a new platform of the cpu+board and ram.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Better but honestly at this point it's the absolute bare minimum to keep 60fps in games. That and the moment the ps4/xbox one are dropped that i7 will stop being enough for games. It's actually already starting to happen too.

So my advice would be do not spend money on that old lga1155 socket and do a upgrade to a new platform of the cpu+board and ram.

Okay Thanks for the advice

I recently spent a week comparing (albeit a different, generation newer desktop) to a new laptop.

The desktop is an i7 5820k based system with a GTX 1070 in it. The laptop was an 11th gen i7 with 16GB of memory and I used an eGPU enclosure with the 1070 in it.

For gaming, it matched the feel/experience. For other stuff, the older desktop still bested it. Granted, as I said, the desktop is newer than your Sandybridge stuff and in my instance, it has more cores than the laptop.

I opted to return the laptop and carry on with my desktop. My goal was to save space, but the eGPU wasn't as reliable when docking/undocking as I needed it to be.

I would say, unless you need to save the space, just stick with your desktop and work on replacing it with a new build over time.

58 minutes ago, cragger89 said:

I recently spent a week comparing (albeit a different, generation newer desktop) to a new laptop.

The desktop is an i7 5820k based system with a GTX 1070 in it. The laptop was an 11th gen i7 with 16GB of memory and I used an eGPU enclosure with the 1070 in it.

For gaming, it matched the feel/experience. For other stuff, the older desktop still bested it. Granted, as I said, the desktop is newer than your Sandybridge stuff and in my instance, it has more cores than the laptop.

I opted to return the laptop and carry on with my desktop. My goal was to save space, but the eGPU wasn't as reliable when docking/undocking as I needed it to be.

I would say, unless you need to save the space, just stick with your desktop and work on replacing it with a new build over time.

Not a surprise as thunderbolt 3/4 is a pice 3.0x4 link and a gtx 1070 maxes that out so there is already a decent bottleneck there.

As said before neither are the winner though imo the desktop should edge out the laptop since gpu is far better and the cpu can do 4.8+ overclock with ease, the gaming performance will suck quite abit and im pretty sure sandy is missing some instuctions compared to a few gens ahead like haswell so not all apps/games can run on the cpu

Desktop > laptop since you can just sell that cpu + mobo + ram and swap for atleast used ryzen or lowend new intel (12100 will obliterate that 2500k)