Plagiarism

So I'm selling my computer on craigslist, and I go to check how far down mine is on the posting to see if I should renew it.

So I find my post and click on it, and someone completely copied my post. Completely plagiarized it  :angry:

Same description, same price, same city. Only thing he changed was specifications and pictured. Otherwise the same.

Sent him an email telling him to change his post, told him I reported to craigslist mediators, and flagged his post.

His post was flagged now so much now that it's already been taken down and he only posted 5 hours ago.

So fantastic, go craigslist! Some people with plagiarism though... 

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Haha awesome. Good work

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Unless you had some big story with your post how could he plagiarize? "Im selling this. I live here" not exactly unique

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You suck OP. It sounds like he just used your post as a template, why did you have to be such a bitch about that?

Unless you had some big story with your post how could he plagiarize? "Im selling this. I live here" not exactly unique

in the UK the Copyright, Design and Patents act, means as soon as an idea is expressed or written all written work is automatically copyright to there owner. So yes it might be a bit pedantic over an add on the internet but its still copyright to the seller :)

On a side note program code is also considered Written work and is covered the exact same way.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Heck the world plagiarized my ad for selling my car!

Car Make : Some Make

Year: ####

Engine: V Something

Options: Pleathor, etc.

Miles: Numbers

Price: $XXX or OBO

How do I get some satisfaction! :angry:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

it is craigslist for crying out loud. Not like he was writing a report or an essay. People use similar formats on selling things all the time. It makes it easier on the buyer. You sound like a patent troll. 

Yeah, does seem a bit harsh.

If I ever post something on ebay and its something I've not posted before, I'll take a look at the rest of the submissions and base it of theirs.

Makes sure I've got the correct info and bits people need to buy the product from me.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

in the UK the Copyright, Design and Patents act, means as soon as an idea is expressed or written all written work is automatically copyright to there owner. So yes it might be a bit pedantic over an add on the internet but its still copyright to the seller :)

On a side note program code is also considered Written work and is covered the exact same way.

still, if it was something generic, its not really plagiarizer... 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

"Technology Consultant" ... talking about false advertising ....

I actually work as a Technology Consultant in a Tech store.

And what he copied was literally exactly word for word this:

I have a brand new gaming computer for sale.

It will play the latest games such as

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 4

Skyrim

Minecraft

Diablo 3 + ROS

Starcraft 2

Dota 2

Counter Strike Go

e.t.c. on high settings!

there was more too but I changed some of it now.

then listed at same price, same city, and list of games in exact same order. You could tell he just copy and pasted.

You suck OP. It sounds like he just used your post as a template, why did you have to be such a bitch about that?

he did not use my post as a template. He explicitly copied it word for word.

LinusGGtips

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 4

Skyrim

Minecraft

Diablo 3 + ROS

Starcraft 2

Dota 2

Counter Strike Go

e.t.c. on high settings!

there was more too but I changed some of it now.

then listed at same price, same city, and list of games in exact same order. You could tell he just copy and pasted.

Yeah, so?

It's an advertisement...

It's not like you wrote something special. You said you're selling a computer and listed some games that it plays. Who cares?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

So first he changed it, and now he used it word for word? Which one is it?

Yeah, so?

It's an advertisement...

Yes it is. And it is plagiarism to copy someone else's work.

It also clearly dictates in Craiglists' terms of service that nonlocal content within a post is prohibited.  

LinusGGtips

It also clearly dictates in Craiglists' terms of service that nonlocal content within a post is prohibited.  

It's not like you wrote something special. You said you're selling a computer and listed some games that it plays. Who cares?

You really need to get over it, dude. 

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Plagiarism has negative connotations, usually regarding 'cheating at school' or copyright infringement. But in reality people use and borrow other people's ideas all the bloody time. For everything, and always have done since the beginning of humanity. It's how knowledge and information gets around. Use some common sense please. 

And people wonder why patent trolls are a thing...

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 4

Skyrim

Minecraft

Diablo 3 + ROS

Starcraft 2

Dota 2

Counter Strike Go

e.t.c. on high settings!

nice job title, still misleading, as consulting or therefore consultant normally refers to something different.

-------------------

I have my doubts that you are even alowed to use all those games in a commercial way btw

You are definetly not allowed to use those game titles in a commercial way ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

nice job title, still misleading, as consulting or therefore consultant normally refers to something different.

-------------------

I have my doubts that you are even alowed to use all those games in a commercial way btw

You are definetly not allowed to use those game titles in a commercial way ;)

You have no idea what I do at my job, so please don't say what I do. I am a technology consultant. 

And those titles are not being used in a commercial way. 

How about know your stuff before being prejudice and posting it.

LinusGGtips

You have no idea what I do at my job, so please don't say what I do. I am a technology consultant. 

from your page: "I am a technology consultant. I help people with their computer repairs and issues. I diagnose many pre-built factory machines and work on many custom computers. I am going to be a freshman next year taking Electrical Engineering for Computer Hardware Architectural Design. As a hobby besides computer hardware I enjoy doing automotive, especially engine work."

That is not what I would call a consultant, but nvm.

And those titles are not being used in a commercial way. 

sure you are. You want to sell your computer and advertising it by using trademark protected brands.

You are in no way better, than the guy copying your craigslist ad.

Maybe you fear noone will buy your obviously overpriced "brand new" (haha) PC.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Jeez OP, who cares if he used your post. (and then changed the most important part)

I can't even comprehend the fact that you decided it was something worthy to waste energy on.

Just jeez....

Oh and there must be a reason why we are all being hostile, you know why?

Because you were pretty much being irrational, you can't own words or a specific set of words, so he copied it partially, so what. Is your pride hurt? It shouldn't be.

There is a reason we are hostile to you, it's very clear you pretty much went way overboard with this...

Flagged your ad for false advertisement. A "high end" gaming computer is not running a 260X.... :P

Jeez OP, who cares if he used your post. (and then changed the most important part)

I can't even comprehend the fact that you decided it was something worthy to waste energy on.

Just jeez....

Oh and there must be a reason why we are all being hostile, you know why?

Because you were pretty much being irrational, you can't own words or a specific set of words, so he copied it partially, so what. Is your pride hurt? It shouldn't be.

There is a reason we are hostile to you, it's very clear you pretty much went way overboard with this...

I'm sorry guys I should apologize for this :(

I'm just upset that's all.

Thanks, I needed this.

LinusGGtips