GPU Upgrade :D

alvez

Hello everyone!

As usual, here I am to ask for you help regardomg upgrades.

2 years have gone by and I feel like I should Upgrade my gpu.

I have not been keeping a close eye on the maerket so I please ask for your help!

My current system:

[Case] - Phanteks Eclipse P360X
[Motherboard] - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
[CPU] - AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X @ 3.8 GHz
[CPU Cooler] - Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280
[GPU] - ASUS TUF Gaming X3 GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER™ OC Edition
[PSU] - Corsair TX 650M 80+ Gold
[Storage] - Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung PM981 512GB NVMe + Crucial MX100 256GB
[Memory] - G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) DDR4 @ 3600MHz CL18 16GB [www.gskill.com]

What I want to upgrade:

GPU

I have seen that te RX 6600 is like 30% or more faster that my current graphics card but I want your opinion. 

Also, is it bad to run a RX 6600 on my current motherboard? I have heard some weird stuff so please let me know! 😀😀

Thanks alot and have a amazing week!

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

What resolution is your monitor?

If you play at 1080p, I'd say it's not worth the expense. 1660 Super is still pretty good for 1080p gaming.

Plus, a 30% improvement for around 300~350 $/€/whatever isn't a particularly great value proposition.

Just now, Rauten said:

What resolution is your monitor?

If you play at 1080p, I'd say it's not worth the expense. 1660 Super is still pretty good for 1080p gaming.

Plus, a 30% improvement for around 300~350 $/€/whatever isn't a particularly great value proposition.

Yeah the rx 6600 is 299€ here. Was planning on upgrading my 8 years old monitor (benq xl2411Z 144hz without display port) to a 240 hz monito with displayport (AOC probably).

What you think? Ill need the new monitor some day, I really dont know how havent this one died yet and the fact it does not have a DP will be a problem when getting a new GPU.

About the compability, you know anything about it?

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

14 minutes ago, alvez said:

No compatibility problems.

There was some noise when it was announced because the card only has 8 PCIe lanes, but it works fine in PCIe 3.0, 4.0 isn't really necessary for this card.

Unless you're laser-focused on competitive e-sports, anything beyond 144Hz is a bit of a waste of money -- too expensive for small gains.

If you are focused on e-sports, then your call. Still, if the monitor works ok, I'd just truck along with it and save money for a better, bigger upgrade further down the line.

23 minutes ago, alvez said:

Yeah the rx 6600 is 299€ here. Was planning on upgrading my 8 years old monitor (benq xl2411Z 144hz without display port) to a 240 hz monito with displayport (AOC probably).

What you think? Ill need the new monitor some day, I really dont know how havent this one died yet and the fact it does not have a DP will be a problem when getting a new GPU.

A 6700 xt might be a better upgrade for you. Yes you would need to upgrade the monitor too, because if you want to use the benq you'll need an active displayport to DVi adaptor or cable and they are pretty expensive!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

9 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

A 6700 xt might be a better upgrade for you. Yes you would need to upgrade the monitor too, because if you want to use the benq you'll need an active displayport to DVi adaptor or cable and they are pretty expensive!

Yeh, the part that sucks is the monitor, not because I want more Hz but because I would not be able to connect the new GPU.

What about a 3060 when they drop more in price?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Rauten said:

No compatibility problems.

There was some noise when it was announced because the card only has 8 PCIe lanes, but it works fine in PCIe 3.0, 4.0 isn't really necessary for this card.

Unless you're laser-focused on competitive e-sports, anything beyond 144Hz is a bit of a waste of money -- too expensive for small gains.

If you are focused on e-sports, then your call. Still, if the monitor works ok, I'd just truck along with it and save money for a better, bigger upgrade further down the line.

Its not because I want more Hz but because I would not be able to connect the new GPU when I upgrade you know, thats basicaly it, I will need to upgrade anyways..

Thanks!

While it is true that one of the most neglected aspect of budget/mid tier gaming setup is the monitor. getting a 240hz monitor while only getting rx 6600 isn't balance as well(most likely even if it's AOC, the monitor would still be more expensive than a 6600.) Not mention, 6600 might not be able to run the newer fps games above 144-160hz, like Apex legends. You might even want to upgrade to 1440p instead.  As for the 6600 itself, you might want to get 3060ti, 6600xt or 6700xt instead. 

Although, depending the games you play, I personally don't think you "need" to buy right now. The best option is to really wait, but not too long, at the very least Oct-Nov or around Dec. You don't have to wait for the next gen cards per se. You just need to wait for the holiday sales and/or when they are really forcing to flush their stocks/inventory for the release of the next gen cards.

As for the monitor, 1080p 160-170hz should really be enough for a mid tier build.

19 minutes ago, alvez said:

Its not because I want more Hz but because I would not be able to connect the new GPU when I upgrade you know, thats basicaly it, I will need to upgrade anyways...

Even more reason to wait until you have more saved up and can do a bigger, better upgrade.

19 minutes ago, alvez said:

By the time it drops in price, the RTX4000/RX7000 series will most likely be either officially announced, or already releasing.
We have no idea what the market will look like then, but you might be able to get some juicy second hand deals for higher-end cards as people try to get rid of their current cards to buy the new shinies.

1 hour ago, alvez said:

Its not because I want more Hz but because I would not be able to connect the new GPU when I upgrade you know, thats basicaly it, I will need to upgrade anyways..

Thanks!

Id just get the monitor then and not a gpu. In esports the 1660 or 6600 will both do 240fps in other heavier games both wont push past 100.

Id just upgrade later as 300€ for maybe a 30% performance uplift is a lot of money for not much gain