TOUCHED MY HDD DISK!!! PLEASE HELP.

Hasan123
Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

Did you open up your HDD? If so, yes you are screwed. (You can try re-assembling it and getting the data off as soon as possible, but the HDD is 100% toast long-term)

Did you open up your HDD? If so, yes you are screwed. (You can try re-assembling it and getting the data off as soon as possible, but the HDD is 100% toast long-term)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Yeah, that's not going to last if it still works even.
I get it if it was busted and you just wanted to get a look inside, but if you're going to use it, the last thing you should do is open it.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

If you opened the drive and touched the platters, it's FUBAR. If it was dying anyway and you're just trying to salvage it, clean the smudge off as best you can with isopropyl alcohol on a clean, lint-free wipe (like a prep pad, coffee filter, or lint-free cloth), reassemble, and cross your fingers. IF it works, dump its contents to another drive ASAP and never trust it again because it's on borrowed time.

If that was a helium drive, just opening it killed it. Press F. Game over, man, game over!

If the smudge is on the outside of the drive and you didn't take a screwdriver and remove the lid, don't worry about it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, Mel0n. said:

A speck of dust can destroy a HDD. It's long gone.

Why'd you disassemble it?

Curiosity killed the cat. The data is gone man. But it was mostly pirated games and movies.