How to format the whole PC for a motherboard and CPU upgrade.

Pohoda Lust

Tomorrow the last peace for my upgrade comes in. And I would like to have a fresh PC wipe everything and reinstall Windows. How should I go about it?

You could download Windows's media creation tool, put it on a USB, then boot from it, from there you'll be able to install a fresh version of Windows from the USB and put it on the old drive, just make sure that you clear all partitions of that drive etc from the windows tool, but if it doesn't show it should still be good as it's automatic I think.

in addition to what @Elijah Kamskiwrote, make sure to back up your data first, and if you have more than one drive, make sure to only have the drive your are instilling windows to connected when you install windows, to avoid complications.

37 minutes ago, Elijah Kamski said:

You could download Windows's media creation tool, put it on a USB, then boot from it, from there you'll be able to install a fresh version of Windows from the USB and put it on the old drive, just make sure that you clear all partitions of that drive etc from the windows tool, but if it doesn't show it should still be good as it's automatic I think.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying we don't necessarily have to wipe the drive before doing a clean install of Windows? I currently have Windows 10 and want to do a clean install of Windows 11, leaving no trace or partitions that would still have all the old Windows 10 stuff.

8 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying we don't necessarily have to wipe the drive before doing a clean install of Windows? I currently have Windows 10 and want to do a clean install of Windows 11, leaving no trace or partitions that would still have all the old Windows 10 stuff.

you can do that while installing windows, just delete all partitions and then install to the "unallocated space" should like like this:

How to Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 11 - Microsoft  Community

11 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Well the drive gets wiped.  It just depends on where in the process it happens.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

39 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

you can do that while installing windows, just delete all partitions and then install to the "unallocated space" should like like this:

How to Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 11 - Microsoft  Community

Thanks

I guess now I'm deciding what version, Home or Pro, to install, and where to get the cheapest legit Windows key.

35 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Thanks

I guess now I'm deciding what version, Home or Pro, to install, and where to get the cheapest legit Windows key.

what version of 10 do you have now? your key for 10 will work for windows 11 as long as its the same version. if you do need to buy a key, go with which ever version is cheaper, there really isn't an advantage to pro vs home for the average user.

2 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

Not really.  It’s got to be partitioned and formatted first.  When you reformat a drive you do a not-so-secure wipe of whatever was on it. If there already is a partition if it’s the right kind it can be expanded.  There are various GPT and MBR problems.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, bmx6454 said:

what version of 10 do you have now? your key for 10 will work for windows 11 as long as its the same version. if you do need to buy a key, go with which ever version is cheaper, there really isn't an advantage to pro vs home for the average user.

Pro does a few things that home doesn’t.  One of them for example is bitlocker.  There is another tier higher than pro called enterprise that unlocks even more stuff.  If you don’t need those things than there’s no reason to get a pro key.  Pro will do everything home will though, so if pro is cheaper get pro.  Same goes for enterprise but enterprise WILL be more expensive.

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Pro does a few things that home doesn’t.  One of them for example is bitlocker.  There is another tier higher than pro called enterprise that unlocks even more stuff.  If you don’t need those things than there’s no reason to get a pro key.  Pro will do everything home will though, so if pro is cheaper get pro.  Same goes for enterprise but enterprise WILL be more expensive.

yes, never said there wasn't differences, just that none of them really matter to the "average user"..

36 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not really.  It’s got to be partitioned and formatted first.  When you reformat a drive you do a not-so-secure wipe of whatever was on it. If there already is a partition if it’s the right kind it can be expanded.  There are various GPT and MBR problems.

yes that will work, windows sets up the unallocated space when you click next. not sure what i said wrong lol, i just didn't bother explaining every detail as it wasn't necessary.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, mwagen said:

Thanks

I installed pro and via one of those cheap keys that you can buy online instead of normal retail because those things are super expensive.

Here is an example of the one I used, though there may be better options out there.

Just a heads up, sometimes these keys might not work, but they are very cheap and the service I used solved the issue after contacting, so yeah, sometimes its a hit or miss, but besides that its all good.

Just be vigilant and stay safe