AdamFromLTT
13 hours ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Apple is trash at running industrial and specialized programs

*except for video and photo editing

But largely true, yes

2 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

*except for video and photo editing

But largely true, yes

And computer science related things. Which happens to be window's weak point. 

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And computer science related things. Which happens to be window's weak point. 

I like to use python with cuda acceleration, c++ (cuda) (qt), c, various IDE for microcontrollers and FPGA, and on windows they all run competently.

Apple OS has no driver for Nvidia GPU, so I guess cuda is a no go there

I use linux on raspberry pi for my robots, and there I run node.js python and c++, and all run very competently

Last time I checked Linux desktop had trouble with cuda acceleration because of drivers, but it was a few years ago, it has gotten better?

14 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

I like to use python with cuda acceleration, c++ (cuda) (qt), c, various IDE for microcontrollers and FPGA, and on windows they all run competently.

Apple OS has no driver for Nvidia GPU, so I guess cuda is a no go there

I use linux on raspberry pi for my robots, and there I run node.js python and c++, and all run very competently

Last time I checked Linux desktop had trouble with cuda acceleration because of drivers, but it was a few years ago, it has gotten better?

Running CUDA on Linux is not a problem as far as I am aware.

In fact, some would argue that CUDA runs better on Linux than Windows. Running Tensorflow for example often performs 15-20% worse on Windows than on Linux. There are also plenty of dev-tools that only exists on Linux, which is why Microsoft and Nvidia have spent a lot of time and effort making sure CUDA works well in WSL.

I was more referring to the fact that a lot of dev-tools are tailored towards *nix OSes. It's not uncommon to see WSL get brought up in Windows instructions on how to do things. Go on GitHub and look up random projects. Almost all of them will have instructions for how to deploy or contribute the project on Linux (and usually those instructions work well for Macs as well), while Windows instructions are quite often longer, more complicated, have issues or don't exist at all.

Also, SC classes tend to be like 80% Macs from my experience.

Well, unless they have like 3 USB type-A port, HDMI port, USB-C port and LAN port, I'm good. Problem is they don't come with dual USB-A dongle. I figure, screw them, better give us 4 USB-C port and call it a day, since there are a lot of USB-C dongles and they are rather cheap these days. The dongles they provided are meaningless.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

That 1280p must throttle down close to base clocks if most of the cores are active? I heard 1240 is the way to go because the thermals is what dictate the computational power so it's all the same pretty much. Maybe 10% more real-world performance? Not worth it.

If Framework gets a touch screen option i'll buy!

On 8/2/2022 at 5:57 PM, LAwLz said:

Even in this thread where I link tutorials and independent third party evaluations, people still refuse to give HP any credit whatsoever. People make up shit about them like "well the Framework is still easier to repair" without actually looking into it, and even if Framework is slightly easier to repair (let's say 8 minutes instead of 10 minutes of work to replace a screen), that does not mean HP shouldn't be given credit for their work.

I will give Framework props for the schematics and the modular I/O. But the rest... pretty much like every other laptop.  Basically any laptop that isn't a Macbook wannabe or a super budget Chromebook / Windows laptop will have replaceable components.

About HP's repair guides... they are not the only ones.

Lenovo provides a Hardware Maintenance Manual for every single one of their laptops, even the cheapest ones, and they are so detailed even a 5 year old can follow the steps. This is an example of such manual: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad3_hmm.pdf

Dell does just that as well, look at one of their Service Manuals for an Inspiron 3000 series laptop, their cheapest lineup: https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/inspiron-15-3501-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf.

4 hours ago, unnerfed cthun said:

I will give Framework props for the schematics and the modular I/O. But the rest... pretty much like every other laptop.  Basically any laptop that isn't a Macbook wannabe or a super budget Chromebook / Windows laptop will have replaceable components.

Even the whole "we are releasing the schematics!" part was kind of overblown marketing if you ask me. 

What they released were not the full schematics. 

As some people said in the thread when it happened, and as the pinned comment on Louis Rossmann's video says, Framework released something like ~10 pages of very basic schematics. A full schematic document would have been somewhere between 50 and 90 pages. As Louis said (indirectly, by pinning and defending a comment):

I don't want people (both manufacturers and the general public) to think that this is what the repair community is asking for. And the whole point is that they may or may not release what was asked. So until they actually provide the full schematics, there's not much to celebrate. You can however thank them for releasing part of the design information which is indeed more than most other laptop manufacturers, but this is no schematics.

Framework don't want to say why they haven't released the full schematics that people asked for, but some speculate that it is because they don't own the design. Apparently, the motherboard they released the info about is a Compal mainboard, but they have erased any mention of Compal in their documentation.

I feel like Framework promised the world and delivered an atlas. I guess you can say that they delivered something, and that it was a step in the right direction, but if that is all it takes to get a bunch of credit then why aren't other companies that does very similar things getting any credit?

Are there orthocolumnar keyboards that you can program yourself (QMK) in the pipeline? Owning a Moonlander I am unwilling to go back to normal keyboards.

"You could probably do this in like, five minutes"

That sounds amazing to me, I recently had to upgrade a couple hundred Latitudes and *shudder* Thinkpads from 4/8GB to 16GB RAM lol